An individuals right to die
Posted: 05 October 2012 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2218
Joined  2007-04-26

THIS STORY has made he news the past few days. Its going on at the very hospital i work at. The good news is that most end of life decisions never come to this because the family respects the patient’s wishes. When this does come up as it has at times in the past it often makes the headlines.

This case points out two things I think. FIrst it shows how completely irrational religious believers can be. This father told his daughter she was going to go to hell for the decision she made. It seems incomprehensible to me that any parent would ever want those to be among the last words their daughter heard from them.

Secondly and more importantly to everyone is it reminds us all how important it is to have a living will and a health care proxy which names a person you trust to carry out your wishes. Both documents are easy to find online for anyone who hasn’t already filled one out. You don’t need a lawyer, but you may want to go over the details with your doctor so they also know what your wishes are.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 05 October 2012 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I sent you a PM about a nightmare I was involved in. I hope your case doesn’t devolve down the same pathway.  sick

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 05 October 2012 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
asanta - 05 October 2012 04:32 PM

I sent you a PM about a nightmare I was involved in. I hope your case doesn’t devolve down the same pathway.  sick

This post, Asanta, is the equivavlent of whispering in the real life. We know you said something, but we don’t know what it is. angry

Posted: 05 October 2012 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3202
Joined  2011-11-04

It seems to me that this is more about one’s right to choose medical intervention or not.  If this woman was of sound mind, there should have been no question regarding her right to decide whether to have tubes or other “supportive” medical measures intruding upon her body.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 05 October 2012 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2218
Joined  2007-04-26

You’re absolutely right but thats the wedge that the opposition always uses. They either claim the legal guardian is mistaken about the patients wishes if the patient is unable to express their wishes or they claim the patient is NOT of sound mind. Thats the argument this woman’s parents are using that allowed them to hold things up pending a court hearing.

As an update the court sided with the woman and against her parents late this afternoon clearing the way for her to make her own choice in the matter. For the moment she has chosen to do nothing but at least its her choice now.

Make sure you have your living will and health care proxy completed and make sure the people around you understand in clear terms what you want so there is as little room for guess work as possible.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 05 October 2012 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 05 October 2012 05:04 PM
asanta - 05 October 2012 04:32 PM

This post, Asanta, is the equivavlent of whispering in the real life. We know you said something, but we don’t know what it is. angry

I’m sorry.  red face

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 05 October 2012 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

What a shame; her parents just can’t let go.

On a somewhat related note, it seems that in these situations, when the dying person is a woman, there is more grief and drama involved.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 06 October 2012 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16
mid atlantic - 05 October 2012 11:22 PM

On a somewhat related note, it seems that in these situations, when the dying person is a woman, there is more grief and drama involved.

Nah, it’s because women are usually nicer than us males.  I figure no one would bother trying to keep me alive.  Rather, they’d be saying, “Please, please, can I be the one to pull the plug?” LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 08 October 2012 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24
Occam. - 06 October 2012 03:25 PM
mid atlantic - 05 October 2012 11:22 PM

Nah, it’s because women are usually nicer than us males.

rolleyes  WHOA!!!!!!  I have to chalk this up to generational differences.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 09 October 2012 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26
mid atlantic - 08 October 2012 03:18 AM

rolleyes  WHOA!!!!!!  I have to chalk this up to generational differences.

Second.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron