1 of 2
An Observation
Posted: 05 October 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

While some of us post for information or humor, many posts have been well thought out by the member.  We all believe those posts are clever, insightful, and often profound.  Those who have about the same level of intelligence or are not quite as swift, also evaluate them positively, and those who are brighter smile or sneer at them depending on their level of charitablity.  Whether we post often or seldom probably depends less on our capabilities than on our ego.  LOL 

Occam

Of course I’m not talking about myself.

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 October 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2007-10-22

cheese Come on Occam.  Humans don’t have egos.  Humans are egos. shut eye  mad  LOL

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 05 October 2012 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3347
Joined  2011-11-04
Occam. - 05 October 2012 12:23 PM

While some of us post for information or humor, many posts have been well thought out by the member.  We all believe those posts are clever, insightful, and often profound.  Those who have about the same level of intelligence or are not quite as swift, also evaluate them positively, and those who are brighter smile or sneer at them depending on their level of charitablity.  Whether we post often or seldom probably depends less on our capabilities than on our ego.  LOL 

Occam

You may be on to something.  I post quite a bit, despite recognizing that there are many others on this forum who are intellectually superior.  I prefer to think that I simply have a healthy ego, but then again, it could be that my id is sometimes over-active and/or my superego is sometimes under-active.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 05 October 2012 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

One thing I didn’t take into consideration is that we have different areas of expertise so someone may post something not too swift on one topic but do billiantly on another.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 07 October 2012 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
TimB - 05 October 2012 07:04 PM

Occam

You may be on to something.  I post quite a bit, despite recognizing that there are many others on this forum who are intellectually superior.  I prefer to think that I simply have a healthy ego, but then again, it could be that my id is sometimes over-active and/or my superego is sometimes under-active.

Ya know… I’d much rather ‘hang out’ with educated intelligent folk than uneducated folks. (There are intelligent uneducated folks, IMO, but they rarely seem to be interested in the same topics that I am.)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 07 October 2012 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  6175
Joined  2009-02-26

TimB - 05 October 2012 07:04 PM

Occam

As one of the less educated but hopefully above average intelligence I have often wondered why I so eagerly try to participate in subjects of which I know very little. Perhaps it is due to my unbridled enthusiasm, perhaps I seek confirmation about my intuitive responses. In any case I can honestly say that since joining CFI, I have learned much and revised my initial impressions on many subjects.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 07 October 2012 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1424
Joined  2010-04-22

Occam

Nah, being smarter or dumber has very little to do with it.

tongue laugh

edit:

Geez, I don’t think I’ve used that smiley before. It sure has a relatively long tongue.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 10 October 2012 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3264
Joined  2011-08-15

As one of the less educated but hopefully above average intelligence I have often wondered why I so eagerly try to participate in subjects of which I know very little. Perhaps it is due to my unbridled enthusiasm, perhaps I seek confirmation about my intuitive responses. In any case I can honestly say that since joining CFI, I have learned much and revised my initial impressions on many subjects.

I have the same impression Write. After monitoring the site for several months I threw my hat in the ring so to speak and tried responding to a few posts, and one thing I have learned is to develop a thicker skin. What I hoped to do was to learn how to better respond to arguments, or in short how to debate. didn’t get that course in college and is a hinderence on occasion, especially when diving into religious topics or defending evolution which is a no- no in our area. There are even billboards condemning it. It has helped in face to face confrontations in the past and I have increased my reading load just to keep up here! All in all, this is a great place to learn.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 October 2012 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1424
Joined  2010-04-22
Thevillageatheist - 10 October 2012 11:48 AM

I threw my hat in the ring

Out of curiosity, this is an odd phrase. I wonder where it came from. Old boxing reference, maybe?

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 10 October 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3347
Joined  2011-11-04
TromboneAndrew - 10 October 2012 12:21 PM
Thevillageatheist - 10 October 2012 11:48 AM

I threw my hat in the ring

Out of curiosity, this is an odd phrase. I wonder where it came from. Old boxing reference, maybe?

Right. In the early 1800’s boxing took place in the center of a ring of on-lookers. Throwing one’s hat into the center area became a way of announcing one’s intention to take part in a match.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 10 October 2012 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

A major part of what IQ tests measure is speed of response.  Almost all test are timed.  I find that quite a few people who may not have done too well when tested have lower opinions of themselves when it doesn’t mean they don’t think as well as others, but merely that they take longer to come to a conclusion.  Since all of us here are not time limited in answering posts we don’t have that problem. 

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 10 October 2012 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Right. In the early 1800’s boxing took place in the center of a ring of on-lookers. Throwing one’s hat into the center area became a way of announcing one’s intention to take part in a match.

That’s right Tim. It meant I’m up for a scrap win or lose! That’s why our World War I pilots used this as the symbol for the 94th pursuit squadron called the “hat in the ring” squadron. America’s ace of aces Eddie Rickenbacker flew a Spad with that marking.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 October 2012 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

A major part of what IQ tests measure is speed of response.  Almost all test are timed.  I find that quite a few people who may not have done too well when tested have lower opinions of themselves when it doesn’t mean they don’t think as well as others, but merely that they take longer to come to a conclusion.  Since all of us here are not time limited in answering posts we don’t have that problem. 

Occam

Exactly! Most of you guys can shoot from the hip with ready facts and quick retorts that send me scurrying to wiki and other sites to keep up and I’m glad for the interlude. It gives me time to formulate an answer with the facts to back it up instead of anecdotal evidence.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 October 2012 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
Thevillageatheist - 10 October 2012 03:45 PM

That’s right Tim. It meant I’m up for a scrap win or lose! That’s why our World War I pilots used this as the symbol for the 94th pursuit squadron called the “hat in the ring” squadron. America’s ace of aces Eddie Rickenbacker flew a Spad with that marking.

Cap’t Jack

Sweet! I didn’t know that. I still have a 35’ish year old ‘kids’ book titled Flying Aces of WWI where I first read about him and others.

A bit of a non-sequitur, do you like board games? If so, see if you can find a copy of Blue Max, a WW I aerial combat game. It can be played one off or as a campaign (pilots increase skills, different aircraft are available for each country depending on year, et al.)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 11 October 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2007-10-22

Occam

James Lawler in his book IQ Heredity and Racism points out that IQ scores are more related to reading ability and cultural bias than and type of innate intelligence.  From personal experience many of the men I worked with in the foundry were at least and some times more intelligent as some of the professors I was talking courses from at UB, when it came to practical matters.  At least none of them filled their in-ground pool with tires to aggravate the neighbors as one full professor of Sociology did. hmmm

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 11 October 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
garythehuman - 11 October 2012 08:31 AM

From personal experience many of the men I worked with in the foundry were at least and some times more intelligent as some of the professors I was talking courses from at UB, when it came to practical matters.

Why stop at the “practical matter”? Professor James Lawler, for example, doesn’t seem all that intelligent even at “cognitive matter.”  grin

1 of 2