1 of 3
Best Captain
Posted: 07 October 2012 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Who do yuo think was the best/worst Captain in Star Trek history?

my List (best 1-worst): 

1:Kirk
2:Picard / Sisko
3:Janeway
4:Archer

Posted: 07 October 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

1. Picard, 2. Kirk.  The rest don’t count. smile

Occam

[I’ll wait for our real, resident Startrek expert, Mriana, to check in.]

Looking at your rating system, I’m not sure what you meant.  I mean 1. is best, 2. is good.

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 October 2012 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I am still waiting for the female, black, handicapped, Jewish-atheist, gay captain.

Posted: 07 October 2012 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22

Don’t forget about Captain Pike. He was no pushover, although he seems to have a fetish for getting paralyzed.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 07 October 2012 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2661
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 07 October 2012 06:34 PM

I am still waiting for the female, black, handicapped, Jewish-atheist, gay captain.

LOL

Hey, wait a minute though, William Shatner is jewish - atheist.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 08 October 2012 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Well, they did most of them, George, just not all together.

female - Janeway
black - Sisko
handicapped - Pike
Jewish - Kirk
atheist - Picard
gay - Well, you have to settle for Sulu (George Takai)

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 08 October 2012 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  2011-08-15

female - Janeway
black - Sisko
handicapped - Pike
Jewish - Kirk
atheist - Picard
gay - Well, you have to settle for Sulu (George Takai

Wait a minute, george Takai, AKA Sulu is gay??????  OH MYYYYYY!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 08 October 2012 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  952
Joined  2005-01-14

Ah, unless you are prepared to offer criteria for judging the “best”, I assume what you really mean is our “favorite”.  My favorite has always been Kirk, because I grew up watching him.  He is the standard.  Although Picard is pretty nifty too.

(The absolute worst has to be the arrogant jerk “James Tiberius Kirk” as played by Chris Pine.)

Posted: 08 October 2012 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  2011-08-15

Ah, unless you are prepared to offer criteria for judging the “best”, I assume what you really mean is our “favorite”.  My favorite has always been Kirk, because I grew up watching him.  He is the standard.  Although Picard is pretty nifty too.

(The absolute worst has to be the arrogant jerk “James Tiberius Kirk” as played by Chris Pine.)

My all time favorite Kirk has to be Shatner. he set the stage for the future captains with Partick Stewart close behind. Shatner’s cocky, can do attitude shines through the character he portrayed and made a good counter to the Spock character. It was intertesting to see his character evolve throughout the episodes.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 08 October 2012 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22

Yeah, they were all good - that’s part of why the episodes did as well as they did. Good performances.

From a dramatic standpoint, though, I think that Captain Pike is way underutilized. He could be a great dramatic character, with a darker arc than the others.

Oh - I forgot: Spock also served as Captain at one point.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 08 October 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  724
Joined  2012-04-25
Occam. - 07 October 2012 05:23 PM

Occam

Looking at your rating system, I’m not sure what you meant.  I mean 1. is best, 2. is good.

Sorry you’re all wrong except Occam. wink

Posted: 08 October 2012 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-09-23
advocatus - 08 October 2012 07:37 AM

I actually judged them by their ability to be a good captain, but let me explain:

Archer: Is the worst captain, his argumentation is beyond stupid, and most things he does are ridiculous.
At one point he keeps a virus which mutates everyone into a certain alien species, it clearly is a destructive thing, no matter what the intentions were.
He tortures People, he is unnecessary violent in some cases and idiotically passive in others.

Janeway: Trys to act benevolent and tolerant, mostly at the expense of her crew, also she could have been home 10 times over if she used her brain.
For example: She deletes that cardassian Neurosurgeon-Simulation after one of her bayoran Crewmen complains, and that thing was essential at saving her chief engineer.
She refills the energy storage of that war crimes monument which mind raped her crew.
She gives the holographic technology to the hirogen, ignoring her knowledge about their ways, and she is far to nice to the borg.

Sisko: Was actually a good ST captain, only flawed by his religious role on bayor,  good part is he had the defiant for additional destruction.

Picard: Not much problems with picard except his unhealthy obsession with the prime directive, which goes so far that he was willing to let an entire species die, a little girl be killed in an earthquake , and he didnt dare to tell those Drug addicts that they are Addicts and not in need of a lifesaving cure sold by their greedy neighbors, which will cause a lot of fear and insanity, maybe war.

Kirk: best captain ever, saved the world and the galaxy while fist fighting large lizards and dating hot girls, nothing against that.

Posted: 08 October 2012 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-09-23
Occam. - 08 October 2012 01:41 AM

female - Janeway
black - Sisko
handicapped - Pike
Jewish - Kirk
atheist - Picard
gay - Well, you have to settle for Sulu (George Takai)

Occam

Sulu is/was a captain too.

Posted: 08 October 2012 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

You have to be careful, because there were also quite a few other captains that showed up.  Some were:  Kelsey Grammer, Dr. Crusher, Q, the woman on another starship when the ship went through a time warp and ended up in a war with the Klingons twenty years earlier, and of course all the Klingon and Romulan ones.

Oh, and if you watch The Big Bang Theory, there’s a few episodes where Howard has the two sides of his subconscious show up to give him advice - An attractive woman and George Takai who has come out as gay.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 08 October 2012 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

For me, the best captain is between Picard and Janeway.  I thought Archer was the worst.  Kirk was OK, but IMHO, Picard was better.  Sisko was good and I really can’t complain about him.  I can give good qualities about all of them, except Archer and the only reason I cannot credit Archer as good, is because I don’t consider Enterprise Star Trek.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 08 October 2012 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02
Occam. - 07 October 2012 05:23 PM

Occam

Thank you, Occam.  I think Janeway counts because she was everything Gene wanted plus.  Majel played #1 in the Cage, (the pilot).  Gene wanted a woman in a command position, but the major networks did not, thus why we see Majel as Nurse Chapel in the TOS series.  So Janeway has that to her credit, plus given that she was the captain.  The rest is Gene wanted the crew to go where no one has gone before, well Voyager did that, with a woman in command and I think she did it well, being out of contact with Star Fleet and all.  The ship and crew were truly on their own and mapping out that quadrant.  Need I say more?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

1 of 3