3 of 3
Best Captain
Posted: 11 October 2012 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I like Picard because he likes to read, he likes archeology and Earl Grey tea and he plays the flute, and I like Kirk because he is a flirt.

Posted: 11 October 2012 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  2424
Joined  2007-07-05

1. Picard/Sisko
2. Janeway/Archer
3. Kirk

Star Trek may have been groundbreaking for the 60s but it was the 60s.  It was like the Lone Ranger in space with an alien for Tonto.  The original pilot, The Cage, showed what Roddenberry really wanted to do, but the studios would not let him.

So we got alpha male macho bullsh!t in space.

It is more of the same with Firefly.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 12 October 2012 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 11 October 2012 09:35 AM

I like Picard because he likes to read, he likes archeology and Earl Grey tea and he plays the flute, and I like Kirk because he is a flirt.

It’s funny that they have Earl Grey tea in the 25th century, or whatever century it is.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 12 October 2012 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  3210
Joined  2011-08-15

Star Trek may have been groundbreaking for the 60s but it was the 60s.  It was like the Lone Ranger in space with an alien for Tonto.  The original pilot, The Cage, showed what Roddenberry really wanted to do, but the studios would not let him

Uh, no. The Lone Ranger and Tonto were a product of the 40’s with a visual extension in the 50’s, and Spock was considered more of an equal with the Kirk character than the servile Tonto. Even Jay SIlverheels objected to the character even though it paid the bills for one of the first Indian actors on the silver screen. Cage was groundbreaking but the characters quickly evolved to include issues considered controversial for the time. Believe me, I watched the show when it first aired. The mixed race kiss was a shocker for the time and Rodenberry tackled the race issue with several other shows including the one with Frank Gorshen. So, yeah the 60’s was a time of social upheavel and Star Trek reflected it in a positive way. Look how it paved the way for African-American actors in the new show, ex. Warf and Guinon.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 October 2012 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-07-13
Occam. - 07 October 2012 05:23 PM

1. Picard, 2. Kirk.  The rest don’t count. smile

Occam

[I’ll wait for our real, resident Startrek expert, Mriana, to check in.]

Looking at your rating system, I’m not sure what you meant.  I mean 1. is best, 2. is good.

Exactly my ranking of them too.

Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons

Posted: 18 October 2012 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-10-18

Hmmm,

Hard to rank them all. After all:
Picard was the only one to say “Shut up, Wesely.”
Sisko was the only one to punch Q in the face.

I guess the criterion I will use is which ones would I want to serve under.

Picard
Sisko
Kirk
Archer
Janeway.

Posted: 21 October 2012 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  2424
Joined  2007-07-05
Thevillageatheist - 12 October 2012 10:41 AM

Star Trek may have been groundbreaking for the 60s but it was the 60s.  It was like the Lone Ranger in space with an alien for Tonto.  The original pilot, The Cage, showed what Roddenberry really wanted to do, but the studios would not let him

Uh, no. The Lone Ranger and Tonto were a product of the 40’s with a visual extension in the 50’s, and Spock was considered more of an equal with the Kirk character than the servile Tonto.

And what was the relative merit of Spock and Kirk.

Consider a fight between the Green Hornet and Kato.  LOL

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

3 of 3