3 of 3
fine-tuned Universe
Posted: 26 November 2012 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

In this case infinite could be a valid hypothesis, right? Suppose there’s an infinite number of universes with different combinations of fundamental natural laws and constants. What law-generating law is driving this mechanism?

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Chaos

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 10 December 2012 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

I only interpret the “Goldilocks” and “Fine Tuning” arguments by non-religiously intended scientists to refer to the concept of suitable environments that Natural Selection uses to explain how some organisms survive when they match an environment that enables them to survive to reproduction. As to the perception that there are unique constants that are on a continuum of possible arbitrary values, although it could be possible, they are unnecessary. I have a theory that I hope to present soon that will show that varying constants are not necessary and reduce to simpler concepts than presented before. I am also able to prove definitively that there are in fact infinite universes. But the ones that work, will operate always on the same minimal concepts.

I’ll give you a hint though: Imagine an absolute empty space. (This is just a practice) Now let’s say that you were some kind of God and wanted to begin the process of reality by placing a something in it…say, a spherical essence that differs somehow from the empty space. What size would it be? Obviously, it doesn’t matter what ‘size’ because any arbitrary size has no other thing to compare it to. So then you label this thingy, “matter.” Now, you make another “matter” to go with it in this universe. Is it necessary to give it measure?  NO—because you’ve already defined it! It and every “matter” is an absolute unit in and of itself.

If you kind of follow this at least a little, then you may begin to see that this thingy may appear to be constant with respect to all others in some contingent way. But it is illusive. There is no other alternatives once you define the first concept. That is, the sizes, say of all electrons, for example is not a contingent fact. It would be the same everywhere it is used in every universe.

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 11 December 2012 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  5975
Joined  2009-02-26

I have no objections to your post, except to add, that when a reality is created which does not follow certain minimum constants, that reality wil immediately cease to exist.
IMO, this is the fundamental concept of string theory.
This removes the contradictions and paradoxes present in the assumption of infinte universes. Maybe only one universe meets all physical requirements (the potential) to sustain quantum and regenerate into new realities.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 11 December 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21
Write4U - 10 December 2012 11:49 PM

I have no objections to your post, except to add, that when a reality is created which does not follow certain minimum constants, that reality wil immediately cease to exist.
IMO, this is the fundamental concept of string theory.
This removes the contradictions and paradoxes present in the assumption of infinte universes.

I have only watched the popular overviews in science programs on string theory and from what I gather so far it appears that my theory is a type of it. It may actually fit in with the same ideas quite closely. I need more study still.

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 11 December 2012 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  4616
Joined  2007-10-05

Victor Stenger’s Keynote presentation The Fallacy of Fine Tuning is a worthwhile download. He saved the presentation as a .pdf so you won’t need Keynote to read it. The file is almost 8MB so those on slow connections should be patient.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

3 of 3

‹‹ over crowding      Strings ››