Newsweek Fail
Posted: 11 October 2012 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24

I saw the cover of the the current issue of Newsweek yesterday http://www.theweek.co.uk/media/49493/newsweek-‘hits-new-low-‘heaven-real-cover

I’m not real familiar with Newsweek, but it seem to have always been somewhat “psuedo”.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 11 October 2012 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1424
Joined  2010-04-22

But he’s a neurosurgeon! His argument from authority must mean that it’s true!

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 11 October 2012 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

Let’s see. The neurosurgeon had a bacteria attack his brain, he went into a coma and his higher order thought processes shut down for seven days. Now Newsweek promotes the idea that his hallucinations prove Heaven exists.

This is an extreme example of why I quit reading Newsweek decades ago.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 11 October 2012 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

This guy’s a Nancy.  If he wanted to see heaven in its full glory he should have got himself a good old infection of naegleria fowleri.  Now that crap eating your brain would produce some bitchin hallucinations.  Err, I mean ‘visions’.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 11 October 2012 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3262
Joined  2011-08-15

Damn! I missed my chance to make millions on a book about my only marijuana-angel dust induced vision. One of my close friends at UK had a bag of hyper-righteous grass that we smoked from a hubble-bubble, but I didn’t know that it had been laced with pcp. After a few tokes I fell back through the chair into space and saw stars and planets everywhere, realizing then that I was in a completely different universe and had become a star child. this experience convinced me that there actually IS an afterlife and I can’t wait to blow my head off in order to return. How can Newsweek hope to be considered a legimate mag. by printing this crap? I used to read it and Time as well but the internet is killing them off now. What a shame that they have to resort to this cheap trick to stay alive. Oh well. at least we have the memories; don’t think the trip cost me any brain cells or brain cells. Wait, didn’t I say that before?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 11 October 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2007-10-22

I thought this is what LSD was for. grin

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 11 October 2012 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
garythehuman - 11 October 2012 09:45 AM

I thought this is what LSD was for. grin

Took a few trips in my youth, but never had any experience which lead me believe there was a heaven. wink

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 12 October 2012 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24

Back around 2005-2006, I started looking at “Newsweek” somewhat regularly, because they were giving a lot of coverage to the so called “hard atheists”.

I found their coverage to be a little biased in favor of believers in general, but maybe not mainstream Christians.  Their science writer Sharon Begley, has written some questionable articles as well.

This current story though, is unforgivable.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.