UFOs
Posted: 13 October 2012 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

In general I am skeptic toward claims of UFO-Sightings, you know like those people who say that they had sex with Aliens(and now they are pregnant), that they have received a Message of great importance for Mankind blah blah blah.
But I am really sorry that many of the more “reasonable” storys with evidence (for an incident, not Alines) like radiation poisoning, burns etc. are denied proper investigation.
I think that we could miss to research interesting phenomena like the Hesdalen lights, which are known since the 1940 but are only being studied since the 80ies, it looks like people fear to get “tainted” with ideas from those UFO-weirdos, or even be associated with them.
I dont think that such things will turn out to be little grey men but they sure will give us some insight on certain natural phenomena.

What do you think?

Posted: 13 October 2012 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I think scientists are constantly examining all sorts of things to determine the causes.  However, there are only a limited number of scientists and a huge number of unidentified occurrences.  I’d guess that most of these have had at least a cursory examination and were ruled out for one or another reason, such as:  1. Cause found and it was simple and uninteresting. 2. Not enough information available yet to continue tracking it down.  3. All the available scientists are working on projects they thing are more challenging or more likely to give useful results.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 October 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26

I agree with Occam. Scientists will generally investigate interesting phenomena but they cant investigate every crackpot report or intentionally fraudulent claim ( of which there are plenty). Vague reports of burns or radiation poisoning ( and why are supposedly intelligent aliens flying around in ships that exude harmful radiation anyway) just don’t meet the minimum level of evidence required to waste the time of serious scientists. Now a woman impregnated by an alien actually would be something worth looking at and an easy thing to disprove.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 13 October 2012 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Those UFOs are really, really sneaky. They know exactly where all of the earth’s big telescopes are and exactly when astronomers and astrophysicists are looking at the skies and scrupulously avoid them. They also manage to evade all of the hobby astronomers out looking at their favorite star systems and trying to find something in the sky a la Tombaugh, so they too can be famous! They also manage to avoid being seen by the Hubble for the same reason!  tongue laugh

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 13 October 2012 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26

The answer to that is obvious asanta. They can only be seen by “inquiring minds” lol

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 13 October 2012 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I should have realized that!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 November 2012 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

One thing is for sure. UFOs have created a lot of jobs in Roswell.

Posted: 26 November 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
dansmith62 - 26 November 2012 09:33 AM

One thing is for sure. UFOs have created a lot of jobs in Roswell.

Ah hah! It is the job creators!  Now I get it.  The 1%ers have secret high tech flying vehicles that they don’t want us to know about.  Hence, when one is spotted, they promote the idea of interloping by illegal aliens from outer space.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 27 November 2012 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2012-10-26

Alexander, I started to believe in UFO reports as an eager ten year old boy.
I loved to read all those stories but some of them obviously where too much
of fantasy and not very realistic as stories. But my enthusiasm kept me going
up to me some 25 years old? Then I read “Passport to Magonia ” by Jacques Vallée
and found it more likely that all these sightings are a mix between outer things
getting interpreted within the observer to get fantastic interpretations.

Looking back such stories did not start after the WWII they existed way back in history.

Seems us humans love to create fantastic interpretations of any input we see.

Voi so sad I lost my belief in UFO, it had been exciting if they really did exist.
So much we could learn from their advanced tech. energy problem solved too.

But it where all a dream that vulnerable humans made up.

Posted: 27 November 2012 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

Alas, fantasy is not real.  But it can still be fun.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 27 November 2012 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3154
Joined  2011-08-15

I do miss he fantasy though. After reading Jules Verne as a kid I was convinced that one day we would actually visit the moon or maybe Mars and talk to beings from another World. Then I saw the movie"The Thing” and thought hmmm, maybe not. We did have a bang up scary alien sighting here in the late 60’s after a bridge collapsed up river. It was called the Mothman and soon everybody reported seeing it. A classic example of mass hysteria set in. Hollywood even made a crummy movie about it filled with inaccuracies. Then skepticism washed it away. I still have the time machine though.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 03 December 2012 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2012-10-26

The UFO “faith” is still able to make new believers.
I wonder if it is some very old wishful thinking among humans.
Knowing we may be totally alone in the incredibly vast Universe
and that it only needs a very big bolder to hit us to create a winder
that never ends and famine and war doing the rest we can destroy ourselves.

I still would want evidence for that we are not alone because it would be
very interesting to find out how they relate to each other. Most likely we
will never know unless some intelligent world send out probes all over
the Galaxy with transmission in many ways on all frequences to make
themselves known everywhere.

Posted: 26 June 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2013-06-25

Yeah most UFO evidence claims are fake. For example UFOlogists said they found alien fetuses and alien sperm, but after a UFO believer who was a doctor demanded evidence the people making these claims shut up. It’s pretty funny to see them go on about smoking gun evidence, yet they never present it to the public or show it to anyone. Like “Dr.” Leir who supposedly found alien implants. Later other doctors saw this and said they weren’t implants and was misinterpreting normal things for these “implants”. I think that before the UFO community states they have evidence they need to scientifically review if the evidence is legit.