Introduction by new member and question on book announcement
Posted: 13 October 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-10-13

Hello,

I’m new to CFI and to the forums here; have only just signed up with some CFI Meetup groups in Portland, OR, and Vancouver, WA.

Very excited about getting to meet local people, when the opportunity presents itself. After half a century I’ve finally realized that there is no debating (or arguing) with those who cannot reason or think. Have written quite a few articles in the past on this subject and related ones - all pulled because they were ineffective and merely inflammatory (I have a comic one that seems fairly entertaining at https://www.facebook.com/notes/daniel-hunt/god-claps-his-hands/107097356115808). I’m decidedly NOT an intellectual or a scientist, but when I get the gerbils up to full speed I’d like to think that I’m capable of thinking (somewhat). Have no idea where the state of affairs is currently with successes by groups such as yours in managing to counter mass ignorance, disinformation and continuing rampant superstition. Media coverage would seem to indicate we are going in the wrong direction. But I would be interested in any discussion taking place that specifically addresses my main concern of this message: how to get your point across to those whose minds are permanently closed off or unable to function on anything save an intuitive or emotional level? I burned out on this “cause” more than once, partly, I’m sure, because I was operating in isolation.

A related question involves where I should post an announcement for a book of mine that may be of interest to members?  I was going to do that here, but want to make sure I have the right forum before doing so.

Thank you!

Posted: 13 October 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15304
Joined  2006-02-14

Hi GCHH and welcome to the CFI Forum. I think your question is good, but unfortunately I don’t have any solutions for you. It’s virtually impossible to get through to people with, as you put it, closed off minds. The best we can hope for is to chip away at the middle ground of people, and to let those on our side know what we’re doing. Working on lost causes has a very high risk of burnout, as you noted.

We don’t in general look favorably on for-profit book announcements from new members. (Free books or personal blogs/websites are another matter). If you stick around awhile and in so doing let us know that you are serious about the community, then a low-key announcement shouldn’t be a problem. But we want to avoid drive-by members or even crafty spammers. We get a lot of the latter.

I’m sure you understand.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 13 October 2012 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-13

Thank you, Doug.  I understand!  I will refrain from posting the book announcement.

There appear to be some very well-meaning people out in my neck of the woods who are working very hard at gathering folks of a like-mind.  Difficult here as in many places around the country.  Where I live (hopefully for not too much longer) we have a rural population equally divided - with some overlap, of course - of ‘rednecks’ and Fundamentalists.  Whenever I have to interact with any of them, honestly, I fear for the country and the world.  I imagine a lot of people such as myself often feel isolated and alone.

I plan on hanging around as best I can.

Have a great weekend,

Daniel

Posted: 13 October 2012 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-13

https://www.facebook.com/cigbut

Various Notes there which will prove me NOT to be a spammer, at least!  It is a new Facebook page and I’m looking for suitable friends to accept.  Because of the topic, I mean to be very selective.  The ‘essay’ I cited in my initial message lives there.

Thank you again.

Daniel

Posted: 14 October 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4616
Joined  2007-10-05

Welcome aboard, Daniel. I read a couple of your essays and enjoyed them. I think you’ll fit in around here. Stick around and jump in the discussions.

Edit: corrected a typo

[ Edited: 14 October 2012 10:17 AM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 14 October 2012 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-13

Thank you, Darron!

Posted: 14 October 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4616
Joined  2007-10-05

I decided a few years ago to stop arguing the existence of God and instead challenge believers to provide evidence. None has done so, and I like your idea of turning it up a notch: call on God to appear right here, right now. Whatchyafraid of?

Edit:corrected the same dang typo as above

[ Edited: 14 October 2012 10:55 AM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 14 October 2012 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-13

Hi, Darron.  Yes, it seems pretty obvious to me.  TOO obvious.  And certainly NOT an original idea; I would never claim it as such.  Simply felt the need to state it myself in blunt terms.  Glad you like it, and appreciate the feedback.

Posted: 14 October 2012 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Welcome aboard Daniel. I peeked into your Facebook page and read a few posts I found interesting. I was especially drawn to your use of parody and satire. Used with clever conviction it can, and has been a weapon to beat back the pig ignorant. That indeed is what finally drew me to this site, principally a series of blasphemous cartoons from a familiar poster named Dead Monkey. Look them up if you have the time; they’re hilarious! Also, there are many of us here who are isolated in “faith” communities and are surrounded by believers so we’re no strangers to your plight. Not many pagans here but I did run into several when involved with Indian organizations in the past. The wiccans I met in Salem. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 October 2012 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-13

Hi, Jack.  Thank you for the kind note.  Are you, by chance, the same gentleman who will be fronting the FSM’s invasion of Vancouver on the 21st?  If so, I’ve signed up for that as my first meet-and-greet with local folks.  Very much looking forward to it.  I will check out Dead Monkey.  Have a great evening, Daniel

Posted: 14 October 2012 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Hi, Jack.  Thank you for the kind note.  Are you, by chance, the same gentleman who will be fronting the FSM’s invasion of Vancouver on the 21st?  If so, I’ve signed up for that as my first meet-and-greet with local folks.  Very much looking forward to it.  I will check out Dead Monkey.  Have a great evening, Daniel

Nah, I wish. I live so far from Vancouver I’d have to save for a year just to get there! I live in Southern Ohio near the top of the buckle of the bible belt where there’s a church on every corner, a fish on every car and Romney signs springing up in yards like mushrooms. Our closest meet n’ greet is Lexington, Ky., a three hour drive from here. That’s another reason why I hang out here where I can feel the fresh air of sanity and reason. You have a good evening too!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 October 2012 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-13

Ouch!  You have my sympathies.  Daniel

Posted: 16 October 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  5975
Joined  2009-02-26

Welcome GCHH,

We often get people spreading the “good word” and challenging science. While not everyone is an atheist, it is comforting to know that when a theist wanders in and presents his/her proof of the existence of a god, you will find many “in your corner” of the debate.  Moreover, with a little searching you will find many references to sites and articles on debating techniques and factual references in this particular area of contention.
Comes to mind,
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/
and
http://www.skepticalscience.com/Debunking-Handbook-now-freely-available-download.html
and
http://www.biblelight.net/darwin.htm

In the mean time, I look forward to your posts.

[ Edited: 16 October 2012 12:46 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 21 October 2012 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome godclapshishands.  Glad to have you here.  I haven’t read any of your essays, but reading another post in this thread, they could be interesting.  Feel free to jump into any of the discussions that catch your attention.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report