5 of 5
How does a Muslim assimilate into American Culture ?
Posted: 21 October 2012 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4862
Joined  2007-10-05
asanta - 21 October 2012 07:24 PM
gBob - 21 October 2012 02:42 PM

where did you get the idea I find Muslims scary ?

Because all of your statements about Muslims assume the negative. If you replace ‘Muslim’ with anything else, it would be called ignorant, offensive, demeaning and condescending (which it is, in fact).

Fixed it for you. You forgot ignorant.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 21 October 2012 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
DarronS - 21 October 2012 07:37 PM

Fixed it for you. You forgot ignorant.

tongue laugh Thanks!  cool mad

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 22 October 2012 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2012-10-13
Occam. - 21 October 2012 05:21 PM

I know of a few Moslems who got interested in the Unitarian Universalist church and joined it.  Other than neither accepting the divinity of christ, they seem to have very different philosophies so it would seem that those who switched certainly assimilated.

Occam

your experience proves the point Occam - they “switched” so the dogma of the trilogy was left behind

Posted: 22 October 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

No, that’s not proof, just two examples.  I believe that Moslems who don’t discard their dogma can assimilate into American culture just as strong Mormons, Baptists, Orthodox Jews, Scientologists, and any other fundamentalist religious people do.  I would have to say it’s by cognitive dissonance.  They seem to hold their religious beliefs in one part of their brains and their U.S. societal views in different part, neither of them able to communicate with each other to see the logical flaws.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 22 October 2012 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  6167
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 22 October 2012 11:40 AM

No, that’s not proof, just two examples.  I believe that Moslems who don’t discard their dogma can assimilate into American culture just as strong Mormons, Baptists, Orthodox Jews, Scientologists, and any other fundamentalist religious people do.  I would have to say it’s by cognitive dissonance.  They seem to hold their religious beliefs in one part of their brains and their U.S. societal views in different part, neither of them able to communicate with each other to see the logical flaws.

Occam

Every fundamentalist who wants to integrate into US society is making a practical “accommodation” in their mind.
Of cours the opposite is true, it is the US which is making accommodations by allowing for individuals to practice their religion in freedom, by allowing tax breaks, by allowing free speech and in general by going out of its way to protect these rights. One should be so blessed in a theocracy!!

Hopefully, after sufficient time of having to adjust to a secular society, some of these fundamentalists will come to recognize the “priviliged status” religions hold in the US.

[ Edited: 22 October 2012 03:24 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 22 October 2012 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Romney, for instance, is a ‘strong’ Mormon. No one would consider that he is not ‘integrated’ into American society.
No one would consider that Pat Robertson or Rick Warren were ‘not integrated’ into American society.

[ Edited: 22 October 2012 06:12 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

5 of 5