Joined  2011-09-13

http://machineslikeus.com/news/beating-heart-cells-created-stem-cells

Posted: 16 October 2012 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6173
Joined  2009-02-26

Absolutely stunning…..and proof of “reducible complexity”..... excaim

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 16 October 2012 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3262
Joined  2011-08-15

Incredible! Is the implication here that scientists could actually grow or repair a heart!  Hurry the hell up then scientists, we’re not getting any younger ya know!  And does this mean that god doesn’t exist? Reducible complexity and all?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 October 2012 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2239
Joined  2007-04-26
Thevillageatheist - 16 October 2012 09:10 AM

Incredible! Is the implication here that scientists could actually grow or repair a heart!  Hurry the hell up then scientists, we’re not getting any younger ya know!  And does this mean that god doesn’t exist? Reducible complexity and all?

Cap’t Jack

Creation of artificial organs is of course one of the goals of this research but its important not to have unrealistic expectations which when unmet, undermine amazing accomplishments such as this.

Scientists have been able so far to make artificial organs that are hollow like an esophagus or bladder but solid complex organs like hearts and kidneys add a much greater level of complexity to the equation. The problem is that the organ has to grow in some sort of artificial incubator and at the same time develop a circulatory system which then has to connect to an artificial circulatory system provided by the incubator. Not only does the organ have to grow this web of blood vessels but the incubator has to change an adapt as the organ grows and act as a heart lung machine all the while without allowing clots to form which would destroy the organ.

No one yet knows how to orchestrate that process. How do you get the cells to form a ventricle rather than a simple sheet of cells and from there how do you get a four chambered heart with all the necessary valves and vessels. How do you get the SA node (the hearts natural pacemaker) to differentiate from the rest of the surrounding heart cells and for that matter how do you tell those cells to form the electrical conduction system of the heart?

None of this is impossible from what we currently know but I wouldn’t count on it happening tomorrow. We should all be thankful that there are people willing to spend their lives working on these things even if the final payoff will not be in their own lifetimes and the Nobel prize goes to someone else.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 16 October 2012 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3262
Joined  2011-08-15

None of this is impossible from what we currently know but I wouldn’t count on it happening tomorrow. We should all be thankful that there are people willing to spend their lives working on these things even if the final payoff will not be in their own lifetimes and the Nobel prize goes to someone else.

Sorry to give you the wrong impression Mac but I was being facetious. One can only dream however and as the development of replacement organs is a long way off, those of us closer to the grim reaper than others can only dream. And yes, I greatly admire those individuals who dedicate their professional careers to bettering our chances for survival. Without them in all liklehood I wouldn’t even be posting this response. In dog years, I’m already dead.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 October 2012 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Does a heart have to grow seperately before it can be transplanted?
We can now target specific cells in the body with nano technology.  Would it be so difficult to just replace diseased cells with regenerating cells into which the DNA of a person has been introduced?
I realize this would be a very complicated procedure, but regrowing or replacing body parts with programmed personal stemcells would seem the most direct and effective way.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 16 October 2012 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-04-26
Thevillageatheist - 16 October 2012 10:29 AM

Sorry to give you the wrong impression Mac but I was being facetious. One can only dream however and as the development of replacement organs is a long way off, those of us closer to the grim reaper than others can only dream. And yes, I greatly admire those individuals who dedicate their professional careers to bettering our chances for survival. Without them in all liklehood I wouldn’t even be posting this response. In dog years, I’m already dead.

Cap’t Jack

LOL.. No problem Jack. Give me 10 more years and Im sure I’ll be in the same mind set.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 16 October 2012 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-04-26
Write4U - 16 October 2012 04:46 PM

Does a heart have to grow seperately before it can be transplanted?
We can now target specific cells in the body with nano technology.  Would it be so difficult to just replace diseased cells with regenerating cells into which the DNA of a person has been introduced?
I realize this would be a very complicated procedure, but regrowing or replacing body parts with programmed personal stemcells would seem the most direct and effective way.

Actually there are already experiments being done in this area. In one recent experiment stem cells were injected into the diseased hearts of patients with cardiomyopathy and showed promising results. There wont be any one solution that works for everyone. Stem cell treatment may not be very effective at repairing hearts riddled with clogged arteries for example and those patients may need an entirely new organ implanted.

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2012 03:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24

Great news to hear!

When Michael Behe needs an organ transplant in the future, he should be reminded of his attacks on irreduciable complexity.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 17 October 2012 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

The more think about replacing or regenerating organs the more intruiged I become.

I wonder if we are doing research into the coding language of the activation and shut-off triggers in the coding itself.

Bacterial CpG-DNA triggers activation and maturation of human CD11c-, CD123+ dendritic cells.
Bauer M, Redecke V, Ellwart JW, Scherer B, Kremer JP, Wagner H, Lipford GB.
Source
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene, Klinikum Rechts der Isar, Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11290780

Signature 

W4U

‹‹ MWI      Code? ››