4 of 5
Romney-Ryan Tax
Posted: 21 October 2012 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
gBob - 21 October 2012 06:51 AM
TimB - 20 October 2012 05:40 PM

Indeed, that is the most obvious scary thing about another Republican Presidency, right now. His appointments to the Supreme Court will also solidify the most dastardly and damaging Court decisions to our democracy

are we no longer a Republic Tim ?

Thanks to a right wing Supreme Court, we may no longer be a democratic republic.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 21 October 2012 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
gBob - 21 October 2012 06:35 AM

...In 1921, when the tax rate on people earning more than $100,000 a year was 73 percent, the federal government collected a little more than $700 million in income taxes, of which 30 percent was paid by those earning more than $100,000. By 1929, after the tax rate had been cut to 24 percent on incomes higher than $100,000, the federal government collected more than $1 billion in income taxes, of which 65 percent was collected from those with incomes higher than $100,000…

I see that you take a direct quote from Walter E Williams, fill in side-kick for Rush Limbaugh.  Are you, perchance, a hardcore right winger yourself?

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 21 October 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2012-10-13
TimB - 21 October 2012 09:34 AM

I see that you take a direct quote from Walter E Williams, fill in side-kick for Rush Limbaugh.  Are you, perchance, a hardcore right winger yourself?

that is correct Tim, it is a direct quote from Walter Williams - do you challenge the facts presented or just whine about the messenger ?

Posted: 21 October 2012 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I get a kick out of the silliness of these simplistic chronlogical financial quotations on both sides.  Onc can extract a few numbers to prove anything.  In the above example, such important factors as inflation rate, change in population, major changes in allowed deductions and exemptions, what was defined as income, and changes in who was expected to pay income tax have been ignored.  Until each of those is included in the analysis, such statements are meaningless for information and only used to please the believers.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 21 October 2012 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-13
Occam. - 21 October 2012 09:55 AM

I get a kick out of the silliness of these simplistic chronlogical financial quotations on both sides.  Onc can extract a few numbers to prove anything.  In the above example, such important factors as inflation rate, change in population, major changes in allowed deductions and exemptions, what was defined as income, and changes in who was expected to pay income tax have been ignored.  Until each of those is included in the analysis, such statements are meaningless for information and only used to please the believers.

Occam

your statement makes no sense Occam - all of those variables are already included in net gain or loss

Posted: 21 October 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
gBob - 21 October 2012 09:44 AM
TimB - 21 October 2012 09:34 AM

that is correct Tim, it is a direct quote from Walter Williams - do you challenge the facts presented or just whine about the messenger ?

I’m not whining, gBob, just revealing your sources.

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

fair enough Capt Jack - you now state it is your opinion and I take no issue with anyone’s opinion, only when opinions are projected as fact

Until hard core evidence is available an educated guess based on past performances is all we have. Every pres. From Carter to Obama has had to deal with terrorists acts of extreme violence, even your sainted Pres. Reagan. BTW, I back my statements with facts when they are available, otherwise they’re always succeeded with an IMO.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 21 October 2012 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-13
Thevillageatheist - 21 October 2012 10:54 AM

Until hard core evidence is available an educated guess based on past performances is all we have. Every pres. From Carter to Obama has had to deal with terrorists acts of extreme violence, even your sainted Pres. Reagan. BTW, I back my statements with facts when they are available, otherwise they’re always succeeded with an IMO.

Cap’t Jack

good policy sir, and I try to do the same ...

Posted: 21 October 2012 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-13
TimB - 21 October 2012 10:14 AM

I’m not whining, gBob, just revealing your sources.

then the part about Rush’s stand in ect was not relevant ?

thanks for “exposing” my source Tim, didn’t really mean to hide it wink

[ Edited: 21 October 2012 11:27 AM by gBob ]

Posted: 21 October 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-13

OK people, let’s recap where we are -

Sep 11 - Benghazi attack and murder of Ambassador Stevens and 3 other Americans

Sep 12 - Obama speaks in the Rose garden and condemned the attack as an act of terror - this according to Obama in 2nd debate Oct 17

Sep 13 - Clinton declares the Benghazi attacks were over the video during press briefing

Sep 14 - Carney declares the Benghazi attacks were over the video during press briefing

Sep 16 - Rice declares the Benghazi attacks were over the video on 5 networks

Sep 18 - Obama declares the Benghazi attacks were over the video on the Letterman show

Sep 20 - Obama declares the Benghazi attacks were over the video on UniVision

Sep 25 - Obama declares the Benghazi attacks were over the video at the UN General Assembly

Sep 25 - Obama declares the Benghazi attacks were over the video on “The View”

I personally disagree that Obama stated the attacks and murders were an act of terror in his Rose garden press release of Sep 12, but for the sake of discussion, let’s say he did - then Obama, Clinton, Carney and Rice were lying on each of the subsequent dates, because it can NOT be both .

And so, the question remains : was Obama lying on Sep 12th, or was he lying on Sep 18, Sep 20 and twice on Sep 25 ?

All that remains is for each of us to ask ourselves; is it acceptable that any politician in a leadership role, tell us a deliberate false statement ?
Whether such false statement was an act of appeasement for some savages on the other side of the globe is no excuse for you being lied to ...

[ Edited: 21 October 2012 11:28 AM by gBob ]

Posted: 21 October 2012 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Come ‘on. There were demonstrations going on all over the Mid East over the video. It provided convenient cover for an organized group attack. This will not be the last of Americans who are killed in the Middle East by Muslim extremist organizations, regardless of who is President.  Make political hay out of it, due to its timing right before an election, but that won’t make our diplomats and their staff any safer.  Neither will electing someone like Romney.

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-13
TimB - 21 October 2012 11:36 AM

Come ‘on. There were demonstrations going on all over the Mid East over the video. It provided convenient cover for an organized group attack. This will not be the last of Americans who are killed in the Middle East by Muslim extremist organizations, regardless of who is President.  Make political hay out of it, due to its timing right before an election, but that won’t make our diplomats and their staff any safer.  Neither will electing someone like Romney.

then why did Obama say is was a terrorist attack ?

Posted: 21 October 2012 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

I personally disagree that Obama stated the attacks and murders were an act of terror in his Rose garden press release of Sep 12, but for the sake of discussion, let’s say he did - then Obama, Clinton, Carney and Rice were lying on each of the subsequent dates, because it can NOT be both .

And so, the question remains : was Obama lying on Sep 12th, or was he lying on Sep 18, Sep 20 and twice on Sep 25 ?

All that remains is for each of us to ask ourselves; is it acceptable that any politician in a leadership role, tell us a deliberate false statement ?
Whether such false statement was an act of appeasement for some savages on the other side of the globe is no excuse for you being lied to

Evidence Gbob? You may disagree, and I many agree that his mention of the act of terror in the rose garden was in reference to the attack and killing of the ambassador. Opinion? So, he and Candy Crowley were lying during the debate when Romney tried to pull a shocker and get Obama to admit that it was an act of terror, and he stood behind his statement.  Splitting hairs and fox spin. Be careful to use evidence, that is facts to back your assertion, otherwise it’s opinion as you just stated.

And as to presidents lying or telling deliberate false statements? How about Reagan’s Iran-Contra gaff among others in his admin.

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/3242/

How about Nixon’s Watergate scandal? did he lie about orchestrating the break in?

http://watergate.info/

these are just two of several presidential scandals too numerous to list. So it depends on which party is in power at the time. Did you whine about Nixon or defend his position against the dems. who attacked him? Just asking. And once again, an act of appeasment for savages? That’s a truely xenophobic statement if I ever heard one! should we march into Lybia and “kill em all and let god sort em out”? The cons complain about government expense all the while decrying cutting down the military budget. Better to cut education, infrastructure, medical care, or planned parenthood than bullets. Remember, 2012’s budget is at 25% while education is 3%. The military-industrial complex at work and Romney backs more spending and intervention in Syria.

http://www.usfederalbudget.us/defense_budget_2012_3.html

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 21 October 2012 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
gBob - 21 October 2012 11:55 AM
TimB - 21 October 2012 11:36 AM

then why did Obama say is was a terrorist attack ?

It was a terrorist attack and it had the convenient cover of demonstrations going on all over the Mid East over another extremist group’s video.  That’s not hard to understand.

Would it have been different if Romney had been President? Probably, because we would have probably an exponentially bigger mess in Lybia, if Romney had been President.  In March of 2011, he said Obama was not aggressive enough in addressing the Lybian crisis.  In April of 2011, he said that President Obama was being too aggressive by calling for an end to Qadaffi’s rule. 

Which Romney will we get as Commander in Chief? The one who is an aggressive chiken hawk, at the wrong time, or the one who is wise and judicious with the use of military power, at the wrong time?

One cannot deny the results.  You can say that the credit for Lybian’s revolution goes to the Lybian people.  And thank goodness that is true.  But Obama’s handling of the situation was such that it was possible for the Lybian people to succeed in their revolution, and it was done with minimal cost to us.  Romney’s on-going criticism of the President during the Lybian revolution, shows that he would have probably mucked it up, if he had been Commander in Chief.

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-13

@Capt Jack -

I clearly stated that “I personally disagree” which means it is my opinion

Crowley changed her story of “yes that’s what Obama said” on CNN immediately following the debate

many leaders have lied to the American public - you and I have made our determination as to their acceptability as that occurred, now it is time to once again exercise your best judgement

4 of 5