Hello from Salt Lake City! I represent SHIFT…
Posted: 19 October 2012 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-10-19

...  And we will assimilate you.

SHIFT stands for Secular Humanism, Inquiry and Freethought. It’s been around over three years, though I’ve only been around for nine months, and leading it for six and a half (yeah, I got into it quickly). Our biggest strength right now is having good educational events: I recently organized a multi-speaker conference, Sextravaganza; in April, we had PZ Myers (now *that* was a well-attended talk). Our biggest weakness right now is attendance: we only have a few core members, several dropped off for various reasons (like graduation) and I’m a little bit sad and increasing membership and attendance is my #1 goal for the group for the rest of the academic year. If you know of a good resource, or someone who is really good at increasing membership, pass it on.

I’m Adam Isom. I’m currently a psychology major, but realizing how easy it is, I think I’m going to try computer science. (My CS course is soooo much harder..  in fact, I’m worried about passing it!) Fun fact: I had a talent for math as a kid.

I love Rice Krispies right now. In fact, I’m going to eat one tonight.

So hi. I’m Adam.

Posted: 20 October 2012 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3347
Joined  2011-11-04

Welcome.  Your participation in SHIFT seems laudable to me.

So you are going to eat one Rice Krispie tonight.  Would that be Snap, Krackle, or Pop? smile

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 20 October 2012 01:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  6175
Joined  2009-02-26
adamisom - 19 October 2012 11:34 PM

...  And we will assimilate you.

SHIFT stands for Secular Humanism, Inquiry and Freethought. It’s been around over three years, though I’ve only been around for nine months, and leading it for six and a half (yeah, I got into it quickly). Our biggest strength right now is having good educational events: I recently organized a multi-speaker conference, Sextravaganza; in April, we had PZ Myers (now *that* was a well-attended talk). Our biggest weakness right now is attendance: we only have a few core members, several dropped off for various reasons (like graduation) and I’m a little bit sad and increasing membership and attendance is my #1 goal for the group for the rest of the academic year. If you know of a good resource, or someone who is really good at increasing membership, pass it on.

I’m Adam Isom. I’m currently a psychology major, but realizing how easy it is, I think I’m going to try computer science. (My CS course is soooo much harder..  in fact, I’m worried about passing it!) Fun fact: I had a talent for math as a kid.

I love Rice Krispies right now. In fact, I’m going to eat one tonight.

So hi. I’m Adam.

Welcome Adam,

Looking forward to your posts.

p.s. I believe there are several members of CFI in your neck of the woods.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 20 October 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI Forum, Adam. I have to imagine that SLC would not be the most inviting place for a SHIFT-type program, so kudos to you for leading the effort. Please stick around, we’re looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 October 2012 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

Welcome, Adam. As Doug said, SLC would seem a hard place to sustain an organization like yours. Keep at it, though, you’ll only succeed if you work hard. Maybe you could post some flyers around campus inviting people to your meetings.

Good to have you here.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.