1 of 2
70 Years without food and water?
Posted: 20 October 2012 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

You may be familiar with that Indian Yogi who is said to have survived 70 years without food or water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGF7EY2Ucm8

As far as i know they haven’t found him to be a fraud, which makes me think that they did a very bad job at observing him for those two weeks.

What do you think about that?

Posted: 20 October 2012 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24

I agree. They did a very bad job observing him.

Indian scientists cannot be trusted, and this man is either a fraud, or he is being set up as a fraud, unintentionally by his investigators.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 20 October 2012 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Who knows? Maybe in India being without food and drink means something else than what it does in the West. (Just like to meditate, for example, means to do neuroscience.) It’s all so mysterious.

Posted: 20 October 2012 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3162
Joined  2011-08-15

Joe Nickell debunked this in his book “Looking for a Miracle”. He exposes the method used. And yes, the mystics aren’t usually watched that closely because people want to believe it. Look for a miracle and you’ll find one.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 October 2012 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

We have a similar thread here.

Yeah, I’d say they did a piss-poor job observing the guy.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 20 October 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2190
Joined  2007-04-26

Lock him in a cell with only one door, an impenetrable lock, a secure ventilation system, and one of us at the door holding the only key and he’ll be on his hands and knees begging for an end to the little experiment in 3 days. If biology doesn’t tell you this is total BS then physics surely will.

[ Edited: 20 October 2012 09:45 AM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 20 October 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Lock him in a cell with only one door, an impenetrable lock, a secure ventilation system, and one of us at the door holding the only key and he’ll be on his hands and knees begging for an end to the little experiment in 3 days. If biology doesn’t tell you this is total BS then physics surely will.

No problem with this Mac, but why 3 days? I tried fasting and sucessfully completed four days without food, but not water. Not sure I could have made it 72 hours without the latter. I’ll never do it again if I can help it either.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 October 2012 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2190
Joined  2007-04-26

Most people cant last more than 3 days without water before going into a coma. Of course that varies a bit depending on the person and the conditions but its a rough max for the average person and I didn’t want to kill the guy.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 20 October 2012 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

Indian scientists cannot be trusted

Thats not what I want to say, I would think the same if western scientist would come up with the same conclusion.

Posted: 20 October 2012 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

You may be familiar with that Indian Yogi who is said to have survived 70 years without food or water.

The medical term for somebody who goes without food and water for 70 years: DEAD!

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 20 October 2012 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

The medical term for somebody who goes without food and water for 70 years: DEAD!

And GONE! How can anyone in their right mind (that’s where we lefties think) actually believe that humans can exist on nothing more than air? Man, that’s faith in action!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 October 2012 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 20 October 2012 06:42 PM

Or Con Artist. That is a nifty scam to pull over on your adoring fans!  blank stare

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 20 October 2012 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Alexander80 - 20 October 2012 03:40 PM

Indian scientists cannot be trusted

Thats not what I want to say, I would think the same if western scientist would come up with the same conclusion.

Ach!  Good point, that comes off bad.

I should have said the Indian scientists in the clip are not using the scientific method.

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Or Con Artist

There’s a lot of that going on coming from that country, but they’re not really doing anything that radically different from any other shamen/cleric from any other religion.

I didn’t even bother looking any further into this claim as this is one of those propositions which is so silly there’s no valid reason to do so.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 22 October 2012 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 21 October 2012 09:09 PM

Or Con Artist

There’s a lot of that going on coming from that country, but they’re not really doing anything that radically different from any other shamen/cleric from any other religion.

I didn’t even bother looking any further into this claim as this is one of those propositions which is so silly there’s no valid reason to do so.

Yep!  So true.

Signature 

Posted: 22 October 2012 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

Who knows maybe he has a Duracell in his Back grin

1 of 2

‹‹ UFOs      Two Psychics Fail Scientific Test ››