2 of 2
The Real War on Christmas:  response to "Merry Christma
Posted: 31 December 2006 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-11-30
[quote author=“Acher”]Any suggestions for responses to “Merry Christmas” (or any religious holiday greeting - Valentine’s Day, Purim, Passover, and Easter are coming), gambits for a non-threatening teaching moment that one might use for consciousness raising?

If you’re able to stop and discuss the matter with whoever has made the comment, you don’t need a catchy response, and if you won’t be able to discuss it, there’s no real point in trying.

However, if you want to give the other person something to think about, you could simply say, “I’m not Christian” or “I’m not Jewish”.  It’s not especially consciousness-raising, but it’ll maybe give them the idea their greeting a stranger in a religious way wasn’t really proper.

St. Valentine’s Day?  You’ve been given a religious greeting for that?

Posted: 01 January 2007 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-12-28

“Season’s Greetings” always seems to work without any problems.

Signature 

"Welcome to the real world."
?Morpheus

Posted: 11 January 2007 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2006-07-14

[quote author=“Acher”]Any suggestions for responses to “Merry Christmas” (or any religious holiday greeting - Valentine’s Day, Purim, Passover, and Easter are coming)

“Cheers!”

[quote author=“Acher”]gambits for a non-threatening teaching moment that one might use for consciousness raising?

I wouldn’t try a clever slogan response unless the person you’re dropping the slogan on already knows where you’re coming from, and can get a good laugh from it.

[quote author=“Tom Flynn”]As a matter of fact I do not celebrate Thanksgiving, as I have no one to thank.

I give thanks to my parents who gave me life: to my friends, family, and community for enriching my life: and to past generations for paving the way.

cheers!

—Riley

————

2 of 2