Climate Change - Hpw to fix it
Posted: 25 October 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

No ideas on how to adapt?

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 25 October 2012 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  3071
Joined  2011-11-04
garythehuman - 25 October 2012 02:06 PM

No ideas on how to adapt?

Sure, we could stop building the standard energy inefficient suburbian housing.  Maybe go with underground or earth covered housing.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 25 October 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Just go to any of CitizensChallenge’s threads and posts for a great many ideas of how to prevent and reverse CO2 driven climate change.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 25 October 2012 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  3162
Joined  2011-08-15

Sure, we could stop building the standard energy inefficient suburbian housing.  Maybe go with underground or earth covered housing.

Hmm, and become Hobbits, or still worse, Morlocks. I’m going with improved insulation and thicker walls. The balloon house construction pattern of the late 19th Century where dwellings are prefabed with paper thin walls was cheap, but inefficient in insluating homes. Houses built with lath and plaster last longer and are better able to withstand temp. changes. They’re just so damned expensive to build. We rented one when we were first married.  We also had a friend who lived in a geodesic dome and claimed that it cut his energy bills by half. I just couldn’t get used to the roundness of it though. His power was supplied by a bank of solar panels out back which also heated the water. Efficient but weird.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 26 October 2012 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  4521
Joined  2007-08-31
TimB - 25 October 2012 12:40 PM

Part of the time I was in Scotland several years ago, I stayed with some friends a few days on a loch that was drained during the day into a lower loch to produce electricity.  At night, when electricity was less needed, the water was pumped back up into the higher loch.  It was a beautiful place.

O yes, there are several of them, e.g. the Dinorwig Power Station in Wales. And of course here in Switzerland there are also several of them. In Switzerland they are meant for the nuclear power plants, that can only deliver continuous power, they can’t be stopped just like that. So during the night the surplus of energy is used to pump water into the higher lakes.
The difference with wind and sun is of course that they are not reliable: they might deliver energy when it is not needed, and the other way round. Then these kind of power plants are useful too.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 26 October 2012 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

These are pretty simple ideas:

Timers or motion detectors on lights.
Continue programs to upgrade thermal efficiency in housing, i.e. insulation, sealing windows and doors, programmable thermostats, more efficient heating and cooling systems.
Encourage more fuel efficient transportation, car pooling, trains, mass transit.
Live in smaller spaces.  Until the 20th century people would close off sections of large homes during the winter and only heat part of the building, bedrooms had minimal heat.
Reward good design and construction, probably through the tax system, not just for buildings, but for industry, transportation and appliances.
Reflective roofs, highways and parking lots
Develop a system of “carbon footprint” labeling so consumers can make better energy choices in the same way that food labeling works to help people make good food choices.
Education and research
Hey, remember “Shower with a friend”.  (That might complicate the next though.)
Reduce population through access to birth control

Then there are the big ones:

Nuclear power, (I know, very controversial)
All the alternative energies, wind, tide, solar, geothermal, biofuels.
Pursue research into actively controlling CO2 levels or the climate like, algae in the ocean, injecting reflective substances into the upper layers of the atmosphere, (volcanoes change climate this way)
Carbon sequestration

I’m not claiming these are all viable ideas, but, most of these, particularly the first part of the list, are quite risk free and I believe could be argued would increase, rather than diminish, the quality of life.  I know I"m being ridiculously upbeat, and I acknowledge that there are enormous reasons for pessimism, but, what the hell, you might as well go down smiling and enjoying the hard work instead of sitting around moaning and whining.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 27 October 2012 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
Occam. - 25 October 2012 03:41 PM

Just go to any of CitizensChallenge’s threads and posts for a great many ideas of how to prevent and reverse CO2 driven climate change.

Occam

And if we can’t totally reverse it no ideas on how to ADAPT?

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 27 October 2012 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
garythehuman - 27 October 2012 11:16 AM
Occam. - 25 October 2012 03:41 PM

Occam

Take over Canada.  Move most of the U.S. population to southern Canada and relocate all southern Candians to northern Canada.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 30 October 2012 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-07-25

You could not stand the weather…...

Posted: 30 October 2012 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting GaryTH:

Sure.  1. Rather than dependent deductions, increase the income tax by 10% for each one.  2.  Pay people $5,000 to have vasectomies or labrascopic surgery.  3.  Offer the same to all countries in the world, and also supply free contraceptives.  4.  If those don’t do enough, develop a viral plague that causes sterilization. 

Then the remaining few people will be able to use all the oil they want.  snake LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 30 October 2012 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
sine dues - 30 October 2012 01:50 PM

You could not stand the weather…...

The weather, is the point of taking over Canada.  With global warming, Canada’s weather should eventually be quite moderate, while the U.S. will be mostly a desert wasteland.

Signature 

Posted: 31 October 2012 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-07-25

Well, I for one welcome our new overlords…...

Posted: 31 October 2012 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
sine dues - 31 October 2012 02:40 PM

Well, I for one welcome our new overlords…...

Just hope that it is not the heirs of the Koch brothers and their Tea Party minions.

Signature 

Posted: 13 November 2012 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2007-10-22

Peolpe in Buffalo are starting to believe in global warming.  This is the first any of can remember having to cut the grass (lawn) on Veterans Day. cool mad

Signature 

Gary the Human

Posted: 13 November 2012 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
garythehuman - 13 November 2012 12:03 PM

Peolpe in Buffalo are starting to believe in global warming.  This is the first any of can remember having to cut the grass (lawn) on Veterans Day. cool mad

This is also the first year for me getting my annual, autumn cold after Halloween. Yes, everything seems delayed.

3 of 4