4 of 10
When it comes to making stupid comments…Republicans can’t seem to help themselves.
Posted: 29 October 2012 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

Oh, thanks… sick  I was cooking dinner and checking out the forum.  So much for appetite.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 29 October 2012 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  6127
Joined  2009-02-26

These elections are rapidly becoming Theatres of the Bizarre.  I don’t believe we have ever had so many grotesque characters participating in the public election process. What worries me most is the acceptance of even the most outrageous claims and statements by a large portion of the general public. Something is wrong, very wrong with the electoral process.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 29 October 2012 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting Write-4U:

Something is wrong, very wrong with the electoral process.

True.  A few things that would help.  1. Pubiicly funded campaigns with no human allowed to contribute more than #100, and no company, political party, etc. allowed to participate.  2. Require all voting districts to be formed with greatest compactness with a computer program, without considering positive or negative caging. 3.  Use popular vote, not electoral college, etc.  4.  Assure that all citizens have the right to vote.  5.  Assure that all citizens get at least two years of civics, social science, political science in elementary and high school.  6. Avoid voting machines unless their results can be clearly verified.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 29 October 2012 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  3202
Joined  2011-11-04
Jeciron - 29 October 2012 02:47 PM

Oh, thanks… sick  I was cooking dinner and checking out the forum.  So much for appetite.

Sorry, I was hoping to induce amusement, moreso, than a gastrointestinal disturbance. Oh well, if we’re not laughing (and eating), they are winning.  I guess they are winning, or at least they are doing better than they should be.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 30 October 2012 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  6127
Joined  2009-02-26

An important movie on US demographics,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h68UJaHvG_c&feature=g-all-lik

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 30 October 2012 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

In regard to the problems with the electoral system:

A few weeks ago I had an interesting discussion with a retired mathematician/statistician.  He had studied voting systems and when I asked him about the Instant Run Off system he didn’t like it.  His issue was that in a wide field of candidates, candidates who would win later in the run off process can lose in the initial rounds.  For example, if there was a left wing candidate and several right wing candidates, one of whom is a moderate.  In an election, the left wing candidate would get the left initial left wing vote, but the moderate candidate would be their common second choice.  If one of the more extreme right wing candidates received more votes in the initial round, the moderate candidate would be dropped, and one of the more extreme candidates might eventually be elected, even though, had the moderate made it to the second round he would have received a clear majority.  The mathematician was able to cite several actual instances of this happening in places where IRO voting had been instituted.  In his opinion the voting system most reflective of the will of the people is one where the voter, instead of having only one vote, can vote for any, all, or none of the candidates.  He said this system had it faults, too.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 30 October 2012 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  3211
Joined  2011-08-15

True.  A few things that would help.  1. Pubiicly funded campaigns with no human allowed to contribute more than #100, and no company, political party, etc. allowed to participate.  2. Require all voting districts to be formed with greatest compactness with a computer program, without considering positive or negative caging. 3.  Use popular vote, not electoral college, etc.  4.  Assure that all citizens have the right to vote.  5.  Assure that all citizens get at least two years of civics, social science, political science in elementary and high school.  6. Avoid voting machines unless their results can be clearly verified

Right on the money Occam, but I would add 3-4 years of social science especially in middle school and high school including history and government (state and national) and mandatory coorespondence with all state and local officials on current issues. The kids are after all, potential voters who need to recognize hot button issues for what they are, red herrings. Of course they also need to know what a red herring really means. And add 7. rescend title 47 of the Federal Communications Act allowing candidates to LIE, yes lie. Oops, if we did that then the fact checkers would be out of a job. Well, they could always ask their parents for a loan to go back to school and retrain for a more relevent job.

http://www.factcheck.org/specialreports/false_ads_there_oughta_be_a_law.html

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 30 October 2012 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
Thevillageatheist - 30 October 2012 06:13 AM

True.  A few things that would help.  1. Pubiicly funded campaigns with no human allowed to contribute more than #100, and no company, political party, etc. allowed to participate.  2. Require all voting districts to be formed with greatest compactness with a computer program, without considering positive or negative caging. 3.  Use popular vote, not electoral college, etc.  4.  Assure that all citizens have the right to vote.  5.  Assure that all citizens get at least two years of civics, social science, political science in elementary and high school.  6. Avoid voting machines unless their results can be clearly verified

Right on the money Occam, but I would add 3-4 years of social science especially in middle school and high school including history and government (state and national) and mandatory coorespondence with all state and local officials on current issues. The kids are after all, potential voters who need to recognize hot button issues for what they are, red herrings. Of course they also need to know what a red herring really means. And add 7. rescend title 47 of the Federal Communications Act allowing candidates to LIE, yes lie. Oops, if we did that then the fact checkers would be out of a job. Well, they could always ask their parents for a loan to go back to school and retrain for a more relevent job.

http://www.factcheck.org/specialreports/false_ads_there_oughta_be_a_law.html

Cap’t Jack

This is almost exactly what I posed before in a previous thread. People have to go through a free crash course on politics, government, and critical thinking. It got shot down by several forum members who all stated that this would open up a can of worms, because who is going to approve the content of these tests?

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 31 October 2012 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26
Occam. - 29 October 2012 07:17 PM

Quoting Write-4U:

Something is wrong, very wrong with the electoral process.

True.  A few things that would help.  1. Pubiicly funded campaigns with no human allowed to contribute more than #100, and no company, political party, etc. allowed to participate.  2. Require all voting districts to be formed with greatest compactness with a computer program, without considering positive or negative caging. 3.  Use popular vote, not electoral college, etc.  4.  Assure that all citizens have the right to vote.  5.  Assure that all citizens get at least two years of civics, social science, political science in elementary and high school.  6. Avoid voting machines unless their results can be clearly verified.

Occam

Where are we supposed to work in those two years of civics?  Our education system is already overtaxed as it is.  I supposed we could trim other courses, but where do we start and who determines what gets the axe?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 31 October 2012 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Where are we supposed to work in those two years of civics?  Our education system is already overtaxed as it is.  I supposed we could trim other courses, but where do we start and who determines what gets the axe?

I was on the committee to develop the social studies curriculum for Ohio and our recommendation was four years of the social sciences from 9-12 in secondary ed. We began with 19th century History, 20th century Hist. Government and practical application of government including all major Supreme Court decisions and how they applied to today. It can be done DM. Civics was taught in the 8th grade BTW and nothing got the axe.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 31 October 2012 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

If it can be added without unduly compromising the course or slashing elsewhere, then that’s all well and good.

It seems to be that most of the time when people say, “We need such-and-such tought more in schools” they haven’t actually thought through what it would take to squeeze it in.  Or they don’t care.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 31 October 2012 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

It seems to be that most of the time when people say, “We need such-and-such tought more in schools” they haven’t actually thought through what it would take to squeeze it in.  Or they don’t care.

I hate to say this but the general public doesn’t really care. They’re more interested keeping little Johnny out of their hair for 8 hours. Check it out: we have students only 30% of their lives. The other 70 is spent at home or the mall. Ohio mandated only 182 instruction days. We need to expand these and go to year round school with breaks in between. But this idea is shouted down by parents who want to keep the antiquated Summer months off schedule that we haven’t needed since the late 19th Century.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 31 October 2012 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  3202
Joined  2011-11-04

I saw a show about “Electoral Dysfunction” in which a segment showed a grade school class get an en vivo lesson on a democratic vote vs. an electoral college vote.  It may have taken a few hours out of their school life, but those kids probably learned something that will stick with them, (as to what apparently seemed to them as an unfair process).  And those grade schoolers may now know more about the electoral college than most Americans.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 31 October 2012 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

Another stuip statement by the Romney;  Another stupid statement by Romney; eliminate FEMA and let the states handle the disasters.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 31 October 2012 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Dead Monky - 31 October 2012 09:12 AM

If it can be added without unduly compromising the course or slashing elsewhere, then that’s all well and good.

When I was in high school (granted, dinosaurs shared the earth with me at the time), passing Civics was a graduation requirement in the state of CA. Not only did we have to take it, we had to PASS it. People would know much more about the Constitution of the United States if they actually had to spend a semester studying it like I did.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

4 of 10