1 of 4
US On Track To Become World’s Largest Oil Producer
Posted: 24 October 2012 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

I know everyone here thinks fossil fuels are the Devil’s feces, but still, this is interesting and good news.  It could help cut dependence on foreign oil and creates jobs.  Which I find hilarious since about every six months or so you see reports of yet another green energy company folding. LOL Anyway, the cause that I bet will get everyone the most riled is all the fracking which lets us squeeze oil out of formerly useless and unprofitable rock layers.  I love fracking.  It gets people so antsy and angry. LOL

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 24 October 2012 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-07-25

Yup, all that dirt cheap natural gas gives the greenies a total fit. It is about time the USA got back on track !
I am still baffled by the desire to buy oil from Saudi A and Venez but baulk at the ‘dirty oil’ from Alberta….

Posted: 24 October 2012 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1742
Joined  2007-10-22

If the new surplus of domectic fuel allows the US to cut its military activity (and budget) it will both save fuel help solve the deficit promblem as well.  We also will not have to overthrow popularly elected gov’ts and support nasty dictators as we have done so often in the past to “protect” our oil supplies.  Think of the polution that will reduce.

[ Edited: 24 October 2012 01:40 PM by garythehuman ]
 Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 24 October 2012 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2010-06-16

Oh, come on, just because the oil is extracted within the country, it doesn’t mean much for the fuel prices.  As soon as one refinery has a minor problem, it’s widely publicized and prices go up across the nation for two months, even if there’s only a 0.001% reduction locally, and even if only lasts three days until it’s fixed.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 24 October 2012 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2134
Joined  2007-04-26

Occam’s right. Its a global market now. Being able to control the supply helps to some extent, but if demand goes up in China prices will still go up on main street USA

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 24 October 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5996
Joined  2009-02-26
Dead Monky - 24 October 2012 09:54 AM

Link

I know everyone here thinks fossil fuels are the Devil’s feces, but still, this is interesting and good news.  It could help cut dependence on foreign oil and creates jobs.  Which I find hilarious since about every six months or so you see reports of yet another green energy company folding. LOL Anyway, the cause that I bet will get everyone the most riled is all the fracking which lets us squeeze oil out of formerly useless and unprofitable rock layers.  I love fracking.  It gets people so antsy and angry. LOL

Well, the problem is that no single company can achieve ENERGY INDEPENDENCE by itself. This is an issue of National Security. No matter how much oil and gas we discover, we are going to run out, soon, and the countries , like China, who are investing like crazy in alternative fuels, will be selling their energy technology to us.

We have less than a 100 years, a single generation. This is of National importance. We can pay it now or we can pay it later at a higher cost.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 25 October 2012 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-07-25

Hey there chicken little ! The sky is not falling ! China is not investing in alternatives….China is cashing in on USA stupidly subsidizing wind and solar pipe dreams….Stop the free money and its back to coal…..oh wait….they are all ready back to coal. We have lotsa oil and gas and coal….just dont jack the price up on it to make the unicorn farts and magic sunbeams seem like real energy !!!
We will be fine!

Posted: 25 October 2012 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-04-26
sine dues - 25 October 2012 06:35 AM

Hey there chicken little ! The sky is not falling ! China is not investing in alternatives….China is cashing in on USA stupidly subsidizing wind and solar pipe dreams….Stop the free money and its back to coal…..oh wait….they are all ready back to coal. We have lotsa oil and gas and coal….just dont jack the price up on it to make the unicorn farts and magic sunbeams seem like real energy !!!
We will be fine!

So basically your approach is dig it up, use it, and only worry about the consequences when they finally land in our lap. Anyone who may have the foresight to look a little beyond todays needs to tomorrows fall out is just being hysterical.

is that really the best approach or is it all you can muster because your brain hurts if you have to think too much?

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 25 October 2012 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-07-25

Yes, that would be my course of action. I know that we don’t really have a choice. Let us face reality like big people….if we don’t use it…some one else will. You can make yourself feel good by making playfair plans with the whole world but push always comes to shove…..my little brain does hurt when it has to think….that is what beer is for.

Posted: 25 October 2012 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26
Occam. - 24 October 2012 03:56 PM

Oh, come on, just because the oil is extracted within the country, it doesn’t mean much for the fuel prices.  As soon as one refinery has a minor problem, it’s widely publicized and prices go up across the nation for two months, even if there’s only a 0.001% reduction locally, and even if only lasts three days until it’s fixed.

Occam

Occam, the article mentions that the increase in production will likely do little to reduce oil prices:

“The increase in production hasn’t translated to cheaper gasoline at the pump, and prices are expected to stay relatively high for the next few years because of growing demand for oil in developing nations and political instability in the Middle East and North Africa.”

Write4U - 24 October 2012 05:07 PM

We have less than a 100 years, a single generation. This is of National importance. We can pay it now or we can pay it later at a higher cost.

Prove it.  People have been saying for decades that we only have such-and-such amount of time left.  The estimates are always wildly varied and never seem to come true.  Look, I don’t doubt that we’re going to run out eventually.  (Probably sooner rather than later.)  But doomsaying contributes nothing constructive.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 25 October 2012 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
Occam. - 24 October 2012 03:56 PM

Occam[/quote}]

I’m not talking about price.  I am talking about a impossibly large military with one of its main purposes being to protect access to the imported oil supplies. Reducing the military itself would reduce US demand.  If I remember correctly just talking one gallon of fuel to Afghanistan for use of the military uses approx. 15 gallons according to the economist.  If we are better able to fuel ourselves we our “interests” in places like the Middle East will be substantially reduced, we might even be able to argue for human rights.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 25 October 2012 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-10-22

DM

Prove it.  People have been saying for decades that we only have such-and-such amount of time left.  The estimates are always wildly varied and never seem to come true.  Look, I don’t doubt that we’re going to run out eventually.  (Probably sooner rather than later.)  But doomsaying contributes nothing constructive.

Agreed, some people still believe Malthus and the Club of Rome despite human experience otherwise.  Hardly rational science.

Signature 

Gary the Human

Posted: 25 October 2012 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
garythehuman - 25 October 2012 02:01 PM

DM

Agreed, some people still believe Malthus and the Club of Rome despite human experience otherwise.  Hardly rational science.

Ok, let me put this in perspective,  @ 1% growth we will be using as much oil in 70 years as we have used in ALL of previous history. Do you think we can find and develop as much new oil as we have used in all of previous history?

This is science, not doomsday criers.  It’s called the “exponential function”.
http://www.albartlett.org/presentations/arithmetic_population_energy_video1.html

[ Edited: 25 October 2012 03:13 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 25 October 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

Assuming mans will be around for a few hundred years or more 70 years or 100 isn’t that much. How close do we need to get to the precipice before we pull back. If you’re living off your savings and you have another 30-40 years of life expectancy do you wait until you have 6 month of living expenses left before you try to develop some sort of marketable skill?

Signature 

Posted: 25 October 2012 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
sine dues - 25 October 2012 06:35 AM

Hey there chicken little ! The sky is not falling ! China is not investing in alternatives….China is cashing in on USA stupidly subsidizing wind and solar pipe dreams….

Wow, your assertions are so cocky and powerful.  They are also complete B.S.

China is the top investor in alternative energy.  Also, one of the main reasons that Solyndra failed was that Chinese companies were able to flood the market with cheap solar panels, because of billions of dollars loaned to their homegrown companies by state run Chinese banks. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jackperkowski/2012/07/27/china-leads-the-world-in-renewable-energy-investment/
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/intelligent-energy/why-solyndra-failed-and-the-doe-loan-program-is-next/8396

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 25 October 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
macgyver - 25 October 2012 03:00 PM

Assuming mans will be around for a few hundred years or more 70 years or 100 isn’t that much. How close do we need to get to the precipice before we pull back. If you’re living off your savings and you have another 30-40 years of life expectancy do you wait until you have 6 month of living expenses left before you try to develop some sort of marketable skill?

Oh, such sweet words, “we shall be the world’s greatest oil producer”!  Tararaboomdeay!

[ Edited: 25 October 2012 03:31 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

1 of 4