2 of 2
Poll
Are you a new atheist or just an atheist?
New atheist 2
Atheist 10
Total Votes: 12
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Are you a new atheist?
Posted: 31 October 2012 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14

Are you naturally inclined to put things in compartments and label items as such? Yes, yes you are.
Are you naturally inclined to take a star shaped peg and try to fit it into a round hole and then a square hole, never conceiving a star shaped hole, only trying to cram the star shaped peg into the round hole then the square hole then the round hole then the square hole.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 20 November 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-09-13
George - 25 October 2012 08:06 AM

A clue: If you think religion is to be blamed for 9/11, you are probably a new atheist. If you simply don’t believe in God, you are an atheist.

When you say religion is to be blamed, do you mean that religion was the only factor pertaining to 9/11? Or do you mean to say, “do you think that the people who flew the planes into the towers were motivated by their faith because they knew, upon impact, they would be transported to paradise?”

I need to know just what you mean before I cast my vote. Otherwise, what you’re asking and then giving clues about is simply far too vague.

Signature 

Question every angle, Study every angle, Research every angle

Posted: 20 November 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29
GeneralHeresy - 20 November 2012 09:28 AM

Or do you mean to say, “do you think that the people who flew the planes into the towers were motivated by their faith because they knew, upon impact, they would be transported to paradise?”

Sure, you can go with this one.

Posted: 05 December 2012 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03
George - 25 October 2012 08:06 AM

A clue: If you think religion is to be blamed for 9/11, you are probably a new atheist. If you simply don’t believe in God, you are an atheist.

You might have explained why you were asking…..

Posted: 24 December 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2012-12-18

9-11 is kind of a distraction.  I think it’s because America thinks it can “Westernize” or “Democratize” these nations.  They wouldn’t know Democracy if it bit them in ass and I don’t think they want any part of it. 

For the most part where I’m coming from now is I just don’t buy into the Personal God that answers prayers of sports teams and desperate gamblers or even war-time presidents.  I’m not even with the Deists as a fall back. 

I will make an admission though that I vaguely entertain Pantheistic ideas.  Not to say I have a concrete belief in in Pantheism, but it’s something included in the books and ideas I explore where terms like God and Nature are interchangeable. 

Richard Dawkins says that Pantheism is “Sexed Up” Atheism and maybe he has a point to.  But at the moment I’m reading Alan Watts stuff just to see what I think about it.

Posted: 24 December 2012 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16

I don’t know who can be blamed for it, but I’m getting really annoyed because, at least in Southern Califiornia, every damned radio station I normally listen to is constantly playing Xmas music.  I don’t know if it’s a conspiracy or I’m becoming more crotchety and less forgiving, but I’ll be overjoyed when we reach the 26th.  I don’t know whether this makes me a new or old atheist, and I don’t care. Geez, even the Santa Barbara station I have in the background just started a rendition of “what child is this?”.  Gahhh.  snake

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 24 December 2012 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

Occam:

It’s called marketing.  tongue rolleye

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 24 December 2012 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-18

I am taking refuge with my headphones playing Rob Zombie

Posted: 24 December 2012 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16
garythehuman - 24 December 2012 03:14 PM

Occam:

It’s called marketing.  tongue rolleye

A three minute commercial is bad enough, but I can put up with it.  Four weeks of continuous (note that I didn’t say “continual”) religious commercials is driving me buggy.  And you’re right, V__, I should have broken out the earphones and CDs.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 24 December 2012 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2012-12-01

Look for ‘Bob Rivers and Twisted Christmas’, it can be a morale-saver if you’re being dogged to death.

Posted: 24 December 2012 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-18

I will make everyone listen to Merry Christmas by Wesley Willis.

Posted: 24 December 2012 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2012-12-01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRW2poUfJ34

There, see if that helps!

2 of 2