1 of 3
Peace of the world
Posted: 26 October 2012 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-10-26

This world need peace . There is always violence , how can peace brought to the world

Posted: 26 October 2012 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-10-26

Norms and values of this planet should be redefined on reasoning and logic basis

Posted: 26 October 2012 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9280
Joined  2006-08-29

It must be difficult to live in the Middle East, surrounded by constant fighting and not knowing what tomorrow will bring. I feel great sympathy for your people, but I am not so sure there is much hope for better times in the near future.

Posted: 26 October 2012 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2743
Joined  2011-11-04
Hameedullah - 26 October 2012 02:49 PM

Norms and values of this planet should be redefined on reasoning and logic basis

I’m all for attempting that, but humans are not purely rational beings. We have emotions, and what we value often has an emotional component that is not necessarily rational or logical. Thus it is an enormously difficult undertaking.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 26 October 2012 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2579
Joined  2011-04-24
Hameedullah - 26 October 2012 02:48 PM

This world need peace . There is always violence , how can peace brought to the world

Not possible.

Every single person needs to die in order for that to happen.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 27 October 2012 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15300
Joined  2006-02-14

Well, Pinker’s most recent book has shown that peace has been creeping over the world through the last few centuries. Whether this continues is anyone’s guess, but at least it’s not impossible that the trend would continue.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 27 October 2012 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

IMO;  It may be possible to avoid at least some conflicts do to improved communications.  As people get to know one another better as individuals it will be harder for the pro-war factions to manufacture their stereotypes of the opponents as inhumane beasts.  This isn’t the only factor but long term I think this may be one of the keys.

Back in the 50s when IO was a kid no one could even begin to imagine having a conversation with someone from Sindh Pakistan.  grin

Of course peace will never come without many people organizing and working toward it and without a doubt it is off in the future.  Keep in mind that there are always those humans who benefit from war and those need to be controlled.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 27 October 2012 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5165
Joined  2010-06-16

Although I’m sure there will be destructive periods, if we consider our species historically instead of focusing on the problems at present, it appears that our societies are slowly moving toward more civilization.  As such, I think, if we survive the next few catastrophes, humanity will achieve the ability to live together in harmony.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 23 November 2012 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

Of course peace is possible. Every year the world becomes a bit more peaceful when we look at the general situation of all 7 billion people on our planet. The cameras of the news media and millions of cell phone videos let us know when local incidents go against the overall trend. We should not be fooled by that. In the past there were far more deaths per capita due to human violence.

How can we achieve peace?

Teaching people tolerance. Teaching people how to debate. Teaching people how to become emotionally intelligent. Teaching people how to live compassionate lives.

On the political side we can analyze how the European Union developed after WWII. There are a lot of good lessons learned. It is one of the greatest peace projects ever.

Replacing religions with atheism is unrealistic and won’t work for all people. Replacing fundamentalist religions with tolerant religions has a far better chance.

Posted: 23 November 2012 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I see it as occurring when everyone is given enough intelligence (genetically) and education to recognize that peace is more personally profitable to all of us.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2012 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
Occam. - 23 November 2012 12:29 PM

I see it as occurring when everyone is given enough intelligence (genetically) and education to recognize that peace is more personally profitable to all of us.

Occam

I don’t think it is so much a matter of intelligence (although that does come into play somewhat) I think it is more of a matter of “knowing thy neighbor;”  with the increase in world wide communications it is becoming much harder to create hateful sterotypes of the “hateful alien enemy”. 

Of course selfishness, greed and individual and group intrests are going to continue to play a role.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 24 November 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

While all organisms are oriented toward survival (self or species interest), as more and more people become bright enough to understand that cooperation is more effective than competion in satisfying their self-interest we’ll move toward world peace.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2012 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  9280
Joined  2006-08-29

I don’t know, Occam. One of the reasons (probably the major one) why communism didn’t work out is because it didn’t allow for people to compete. In the begging everybody was really enthusiastic about working together to solve all the life’s challenges, but after awhile people realized it was going nowhere. This is actually one of the reasons why I am not a fan of humanism. It sounds good as a theory, but all that mushy talk doesn’t really work in real life.

Posted: 24 November 2012 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Nah, George.  The reason communism didn’t work in Russia was that people were still to dumb to understand it.  And I agree that my view doesn’t describe use now, and won’t work here either, mainly because we also are too dumb to recognize the value of cooperation. 

I also don’t buy the competition theory because as I see it, we are constantly competing with nature and will continue to do so as we share our improvements with each other.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2012 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-10-22

IMO, the reason was lack of knowledge of the effects of large, top down bureaucracy on production.  Marx and Engels never undertook a study in this area. 

As you probably all know I disapprove of extreme individualism but I also disapprove of overbearing bureaucracy, the trick is finding the right balance. One of the main problems that have to be dealt with by the society as a whole is the problem of the commons and creating bureaucracies seems to be the only way to do this.

Signature 

Gary the Human

Posted: 24 November 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
Occam. - 24 November 2012 11:40 AM

While all organisms are oriented toward survival (self or species interest), as more and more people become bright enough to understand that cooperation is more effective than competion in satisfying their self-interest we’ll move toward world peace.

Occam

Most people already know that, the trick getting to recognize that “my group” includes everyone not just a specific co0llevtion of intimates.

Signature 

Gary the Human

1 of 3