2 of 3
Peace of the world
Posted: 24 November 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22
Hameedullah - 26 October 2012 02:49 PM

Norms and values of this planet should be redefined on reasoning and logic basis

That will take quite a few generations.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 24 November 2012 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam. - 24 November 2012 12:18 PM

Nah, George.  The reason communism didn’t work in Russia was that people were still to dumb to understand it.  And I agree that my view doesn’t describe use now, and won’t work here either, mainly because we also are too dumb to recognize the value of cooperation. 

I also don’t buy the competition theory because as I see it, we are constantly competing with nature and will continue to do so as we share our improvements with each other.

Occam

I saw it with my own eyes, Occam. The idea people have here of communism isn’t even close to the truth. And I don’t know about Russia, but in Czech, it was precisely the smart people who were the problem. The dumb ones, like the Gypsies for example, loved every second of it.

Posted: 24 November 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24
dansmith62 - 23 November 2012 05:41 AM

How can we achieve peace?

Teaching people tolerance. Teaching people how to debate. Teaching people how to become emotionally intelligent. Teaching people how to live compassionate lives.

This may not be possible.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 24 November 2012 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

On the political side we can analyze how the European Union developed after WWII. There are a lot of good lessons learned. It is one of the greatest peace projects ever.

It probably won’t last much longer.

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2012 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 24 November 2012 01:11 PM
Occam. - 24 November 2012 12:18 PM

Nah, George.  The reason communism didn’t work in Russia was that people were still to dumb to understand it.  And I agree that my view doesn’t describe use now, and won’t work here either, mainly because we also are too dumb to recognize the value of cooperation. 

I also don’t buy the competition theory because as I see it, we are constantly competing with nature and will continue to do so as we share our improvements with each other.

Occam

I saw it with my own eyes, Occam. The idea people have here of communism isn’t even close to the truth. And I don’t know about Russia, but in Czech, it was precisely the smart people who were the problem. The dumb ones, like the Gypsies for example, loved every second of it.

Sheer intelligence doesn’t necessarily make one practical or even clever.  I am cool with appropriately regulated capitalism.  If it is not appropriately regulated, however, it intrinsically leads to severe exploitation of some over others. If it is regulated inappropriately, then dysfunctions also tend to occur.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 24 November 2012 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Another of the problems, George, is that what they had in Russia wasn’t close to theoretical communism so, as is often the case, when two people are discussing something for which they have different definitions, they get no where.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15
mid atlantic - 24 November 2012 02:06 PM

Teaching people tolerance. Teaching people how to debate. Teaching people how to become emotionally intelligent. Teaching people how to live compassionate lives.

How do you explain that the average violence per capita ratio has gone down for the past thousand years?

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-11-15
mid atlantic - 24 November 2012 02:08 PM

On the political side we can analyze how the European Union developed after WWII. There are a lot of good lessons learned. It is one of the greatest peace projects ever.

It probably won’t last much longer.

That’s what some people at Wall Street would like to see, so they can make a quick buck by betting on chaos and doom. US media love European doom too. Bad news is good news. Well, they underestimate the resolve of the European people. And when we look at the political stalemate in the US for the past 4 years, this makes the European commission look like a progress bar in hyperdrive :-)

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dansmith62 - 26 November 2012 08:02 AM

How do you explain that the average violence per capita ratio has gone down for the past thousand years?

How about evolution? See HERE, “What Pinker Missed.”

Posted: 26 November 2012 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-11-26

The world will be demolishd before peace comes. I can not see any hope.Whole world is in a mess.

Posted: 26 November 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-11-15
George - 26 November 2012 08:39 AM

I haven’t read Pinker’s book yet, but ‘Rational Optimist’ written by Matt Ridley quoting a lot research analyzing crimes and wars.

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 26 November 2012 08:39 AM

It is interesting that the author of that article, ultimately, attributes the evolution of a more peaceful Man to the Church’s ban on marriages to close relatives.  Following that same formula, one might think that a ban on marrying someone of one’s own race, could pay off with a most peaceful Man of all, in a few centuries.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 26 November 2012 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Yeah, but the new cultural rules were only possible to be followed because many people were already ready (biologically ready) to follow such rules. There were many reasons that determined the path toward Christianity. You can read about it in Scott Atran’s “Talking to the Enemy,” or William McNeill’s “Plagues and Peoples.”

I doubt there are enough people to follow the rule of banning a marriage within a race.

Posted: 26 November 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 26 November 2012 02:00 PM

..I doubt there are enough people to follow the rule of banning a marriage within a race.

T\

That’s not a problem.  We can just tell them that their eternal souls are at risk.  And have the one’s who don’t comply, burned to death by the Inquisition.  Then, wal-lah! Peace on Earth by 2500 A.D.  (Hypothetically speaking, of course.)

Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2012 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

I disagree that violence is decreasing because people have become more ethical over the past several centuries.

Signature 

2 of 3