16 of 26
Is Atheism doomed to extinction?
Posted: 15 November 2012 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 226 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6045
Joined  2009-02-26

Tell us about those supernatural occurrences.  I have had several near death experiences where everyone told me that I must have a guardian angel. I never felt that I was special though, perhaps a little lucky…..... cheese

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 15 November 2012 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 227 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Has it registered yet? The death of atheist philosophy?

arielmessenger, atheism does not have a philosophy. It’s a blank slate. Nothing there.

How hard is this for you to understand?

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 15 November 2012 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 228 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

dude, even with your enlightening repetitions you’ve failed to meet the minimum word count - try again

Sobpatrick, your response it irrelevant to anything I said.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 15 November 2012 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 229 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2010-12-02
Write4U - 15 November 2012 04:42 PM

Tell us about those supernatural occurrences.  I have had several near death experiences where everyone told me that I must have a guardian angel. I never felt that I was special though, perhaps a little lucky…..... cheese

it was about 4am in the morning. A friend and I were working on a photo project in a university photolab.  As we were working we faintly heard “I’m the king of the castle you’re the dirty rascal” coming from down the hall.  We both thought someone was playing a joke as there were rumours the photolab was haunted. We both smiled and went back to work.  We then heard it again a little clearer but there seemed to be no one there.  We stood there smiling and at that moment heard it a third time - only it was no longer down the hall but seeming surrounding us as if the voice was encircling us - very clear - almost loud, but there was no one there.  We froze, grabbed our stuff and got out of there.  We finished our project the next day and never experienced another occurrence.  Don’t get me started on insane coincidences or near death experiences

Posted: 15 November 2012 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 230 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-02
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 15 November 2012 04:53 PM

dude, even with your enlightening repetitions you’ve failed to meet the minimum word count - try again

Sobpatrick, your response it irrelevant to anything I said.

how could it be irrelevant to what you said when as usual - you didn’t say anything

Posted: 15 November 2012 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 231 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
sobpatrick - 15 November 2012 05:22 PM

you didn’t say anything

Yes he did. He said: “I’m the king of the castle, you are the dirty rascal.” You didn’t hear him? Weird…

Posted: 15 November 2012 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 232 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

Yes he did. He said: “I’m the king of the castle, you are the dirty rascal.” You didn’t hear him? Weird…

Supernatural anecdote… therefore god!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 November 2012 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 233 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Unfortunately, this website program occasionally erases information entered rather than posting it.  My procedure is to always block copy what I write before I submit it.  That way, I can just plug it into the new blank box.  What’s even more unfortunate is that the website program can’t automatically delete irrational drivel that has no basis in fact.  It if did, that silly long post by Arielmessenger would have kept disappearing.  It’s pretty bad when theists quote the bible as the “proof” of their beliefs.  It’s even more bizarre and silly when they start quoting Science-FICTION for their “proofs”.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 November 2012 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 234 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-02
Thevillageatheist - 15 November 2012 06:09 PM

Supernatural anecdote… therefore god!

Cap’t Jack

I don’t think I mentioned God - just the supernatural.  Take what you want from it.  Maybe you’ll be lucky enough to experience something similar one day.

Posted: 15 November 2012 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 235 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-02
Occam. - 15 November 2012 06:34 PM

Unfortunately, this website program occasionally erases information entered rather than posting it.  My procedure is to always block copy what I write before I submit it.  That way, I can just plug it into the new blank box.  What’s even more unfortunate is that the website program can’t automatically delete irrational drivel that has no basis in fact.  It if did, that silly long post by Arielmessenger would have kept disappearing.  It’s pretty bad when theists quote the bible as the “proof” of their beliefs.  It’s even more bizarre and silly when they start quoting Science-FICTION for their “proofs”.  LOL

Occam

As far as science-fiction goes - much of what he said is on the books.  Check out Michio Kaku’s Biotech/Nanotech/quantum revolution series.
Quantum Revolution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InoMBWnTXpg
Nanotech revolution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlbuh3_ZKsE&feature=related
Biotech revolution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teYI5lVNBrE&feature=related

Posted: 15 November 2012 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 236 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

I don’t think I mentioned God - just the supernatural.  Take what you want from it.  Maybe you’ll be lucky enough to experience something similar one day.

Already have. Want to hear it?

Cap’t Jacj

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 November 2012 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 237 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Bah, while Kaku is often a decent science populizer, he often gets carried away and confuses dramatic effect with reality.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 November 2012 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 238 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2012-11-13
Occam. - 15 November 2012 07:45 PM

Bah, while Kaku is often a decent science populizer, he often gets carried away and confuses dramatic effect with reality.

Occam

You see here why I say Atheism can only be held as a fundamentalist religious mindset. Occam demonstrates this nicely with his refusal to look at any facts that
counter the atheist position, the classic response of the fundamentalist believer. We can expect slander and name-calling next as the atheist defense against exposure
of an irrational ideology.

Posted: 15 November 2012 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 239 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05
arielmessenger - 15 November 2012 09:25 PM

Occam

You see here why I say Atheism can only be held as a fundamentalist religious mindset. Occam demonstrates this nicely with his refusal to look at any facts that
counter the atheist position, the classic response of the fundamentalist believer. We can expect slander and name-calling next as the atheist defense against exposure
or an irrational ideology.

Pot, meet kettle. I showed you where you have your facts wrong, yet you ignore me.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 16 November 2012 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 240 ]
Total Posts:  7572
Joined  2007-03-02
arielmessenger - 15 November 2012 09:25 PM

Occam

of an irrational ideology.

How so? Is it a fundamentalist mindset when an atheist studies many religions, tolerates some religious sects, such as Episcopalian and some other liberal groups, Buddhism, and Taoism for example?  I could continue with more questions to you, but my point is, not all atheists think alike or even act alike.  There are also a variety of atheistic views too- strong/hard/positive/explicit and weak/soft/negative/implicit.  I consider myself an implicit atheist, a term I prefer over weak, soft, or negative.  Even so, those terms do not tie an atheist down to those exact views.  Some call themselves agnostic atheists, which I think is a good term also.  Some don’t care and would rather not discuss it, but most can live without the debate and go about life like anyone else until they feel imposed upon, then yes, they are going to talk back, become irritated and even angry if the person continues to impose they religious views on them, just like many other people would.  I’m currently staying with Episcopalians and they also get irritated when someone imposes their views on them and would even give you what for if you tried similar tactics with them.  So your view is not indicative of just atheists.

My point is, not all atheists are as you describe and not Xians want your view either.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

16 of 26