1 of 4
Hurricane Sandy aftermath
Posted: 31 October 2012 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

oh oh Is everyone from the disaster area here and accounted for? ohh

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 01 November 2012 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Anyone from Long Island or many parts of coastal NJ or southern Manhattan is likely not to have power yet ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 01 November 2012 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

I’m particularly concerned for all the hundreds of patients they had to move out of NYU Langone hospital a couple of days ago and then the five-hundred-odd they had to move out of Bellevue Hospital yesterday, some apparently down over fifteen flights of stairs, due to power still being out. Electrical equipment, labs, etc., were in the basement and flooded. They had to use the national guard to get everyone out.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 November 2012 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

I am still in shock every time I see it on news. NJ looks like a war zone. Unless we get serious about the threat of GW and start dealing with it, we better get used to this.

Posted: 01 November 2012 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

It’s been pretty clear to me for awhile that people living in low lying areas are in deep trouble. I don’t know why Floridians aren’t up in arms about this. (Well, I do know, but I don’t want to think about it).

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 November 2012 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Bad news, everyone!  Hurricane Sandy will help push gas prices even lower.  Wait, what?  Basically, it’s because of the drop in demand outpacing the drop in production.  Because so many roads, airports, and whatsits are shut down demand will drop by more than production does.  So despite all the refineries that flooded and other carnage, gas prices will actually continue to go down.  At least in the short term.  Still, I like cheap gas.

Link

What?  This is aftermath related.

EDIT
Rewrites for improvification.

[ Edited: 01 November 2012 10:05 AM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 01 November 2012 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2012-04-25
Dead Monky - 01 November 2012 09:04 AM

Bad news, everyone!  Hurricane Sandy will help push gas prices even lower.  Wait, what?  Basically, it’s because of the drop in demand outpacing the drop in production.  Because so many roads, airports, and whatsits are shut down demand will drop by more than production does.  So despite all the refineries that flooded and other carnage, gas prices will actually continue to go down.  At least in the short term.  Still, I like cheap gas.

Link

What?  This is aftermath related.

EDIT
Rewrites for improvification.

I doubt it. Demand seems to have very little impact.  If we use less, OPEC for example will produce less, keeping supply inline with demand.  Speculators will react too to somehow keep their investments safe.

Posted: 01 November 2012 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree, and they’ll declare all the damage that’s occurred to their facilities as limiting the amount of fuel they can deliver (even if huge amounts of it is sitting in their storage tanks) and keep prices high.  Supply and demand only works if there’s real competition, not a monopolistic group (damn, why can’t I remember the word for that?).

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 01 November 2012 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.  And then, either way things go, complain.

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2012 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

Hi guise!

I just got my internet access back, it’s been off since Monday morning. What a mess.

Did your neighborhood lose power Doug?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 01 November 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

I was wondering what happened to you, Mike. Good to hear you’re okay.

Posted: 01 November 2012 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  373
Joined  2012-02-02
George - 01 November 2012 06:52 AM

I am still in shock every time I see it on news. NJ looks like a war zone. Unless we get serious about the threat of GW and start dealing with it, we better get used to this.

Was listening to a BBC science podcast yesterday and a researcher said that the last time CO2 levels were as high as they are now, the ocean level was 20 meters higher than it is now.  He said the question no one had an answer for was how long it was going to take for the oceans to rise.  If it was over 100+ years, it would be easy to adapt to, if it was over 10 years, we were boned.

Posted: 02 November 2012 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
mid atlantic - 01 November 2012 04:42 PM

Hi guise!

I just got my internet access back, it’s been off since Monday morning. What a mess.

Did your neighborhood lose power Doug?

Fortunately we had power throughout. Lost internet for a day or so, landline for a few days, but all is back now.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 02 November 2012 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

I live on Long Island in a very treed area of the north shore. The winds knocked down so many huge trees in our area that many streets are still unpassable. There is no power in most areas which means no heat or lights as the weather gets colder and the nights get longer. Current estimates are that we will have to endure this for another 10 days or so in many areas. My office is on a one block island of power in an otherwise ocean of black. There is no internet but one of my employees had a mobile wifi spot that allowed us to get the EMR up and running so we are taking care of the few patients who are able to get in.

It looks like Godzilla went on a rampage. Telephone poles are snapped in half everywhere. It gets unbelievably quiet at night except for the hum of generators from those few homes that had the foresight enough to think ahead but even those are starting to go quiet for large portions of the day as people try to conserve gas which has become nearly impossible to find unless you find a rare gas station that has fuel and have 2 hours to invest on the line. Fights have broken out on gas lines but luckily most people have been civil.

I noticed an interesting thing about human nature in all of this. the gas stations now have two lines. One for cars and another for people filling gas cans. I stood for about 90 minutes last night on a line to fill a couple of gas cans. t wasnt so bad. You get to know the other people on line and bond over a shared experience. During the time I was on line there were 3 or four verbal altercations that erupted when some thought someone else was jumping the line. All of these occurred between people in the car line. none between people on the gas can line. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that those of us on the gas can line were standing next to each other and talking. Its a lot harder to assume the worst of someone you’ve gotten to know than it is to get angry at an anonymous person in the car in front of you. Not sure what use that observation is but it was interesting

While there were some tragic deaths I dont personally know anyone who was injured. Some crushed homes and one family member had their home nearly washed into the ocean but everyone came through unscathed.

All of this really makes one appreciate what we have and how easy it is to lose it all.

Hope everyone else is well

[ Edited: 02 November 2012 07:30 AM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 02 November 2012 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

P.S. - If i hear Gov Christy say one more time that N.J. got it the worst Im gonna smack him. He needs to take a tour of long island. We lost a lot more than a few ferris wheels and a gambling town board walk. To hear him bluster you’d think everyone outside of his state got off easy. He needs to spend less time shooting off his very large mouth on the radio and more time dealing with the business at hand.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 02 November 2012 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
macgyver - 02 November 2012 07:34 AM

P.S. - If i hear Gov Christy say one more time that N.J. got it the worst Im gonna smack him. He needs to take a tour of long island. We lost a lot more than a few ferris wheels and a gambling town board walk. To hear him bluster you’d think everyone outside of his state got off easy. He needs to spend less time shooting off his very large mouth on the radio and more time dealing with the business at hand.

Also, New Jersey is America’s armpit.  Just saying.

Signature 

1 of 4