2 of 4
Hurricane Sandy aftermath
Posted: 02 November 2012 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
mid atlantic - 01 November 2012 04:42 PM

Hi guise!

I just got my internet access back, it’s been off since Monday morning. What a mess.

Did your neighborhood lose power Doug?

Good to see you’re okay!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 02 November 2012 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
macgyver - 02 November 2012 07:34 AM

P.S. - If i hear Gov Christy say one more time that N.J. got it the worst Im gonna smack him. He needs to take a tour of long island. We lost a lot more than a few ferris wheels and a gambling town board walk. To hear him bluster you’d think everyone outside of his state got off easy. He needs to spend less time shooting off his very large mouth on the radio and more time dealing with the business at hand.

Glad you’re okay too! I wonder how Faux is going to spin this in Romney’s favor?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 02 November 2012 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
asanta - 02 November 2012 09:10 AM

Glad you’re okay too! I wonder how Faux is going to spin this in Romney’s favor?

The one death they won’t be able to spin is the person dying in Toronto, who got killed by a falling Staples sign. Clearly a Romney’s fault.

Posted: 02 November 2012 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  3210
Joined  2011-08-15

The one death they won’t be able to spin is the person dying in Toronto, who got killed by a falling Staples sign. Clearly a Romney’s fault.

If Romney had owned the company he would have outsourced it to China and the poor Canunk woudn’t have died.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 02 November 2012 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

It’s simple:  Romney could easily make this statement:  Global warming is a farce that liberal scientists use to get more money, and it doesn’t really exist,  However, the President had four years to reduce carbon emissions which he didn’t do effectively, therefore, the people of the east coast had to suffer an Obama generated hurricane.  LOL vampire

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 02 November 2012 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15400
Joined  2006-02-14
macgyver - 02 November 2012 07:27 AM

I live on Long Island in a very treed area of the north shore. The winds knocked down so many huge trees in our area that many streets are still unpassable. There is no power in most areas which means no heat or lights as the weather gets colder and the nights get longer. Current estimates are that we will have to endure this for another 10 days or so in many areas. My office is on a one block island of power in an otherwise ocean of black. There is no internet but one of my employees had a mobile wifi spot that allowed us to get the EMR up and running so we are taking care of the few patients who are able to get in.

It looks like Godzilla went on a rampage. Telephone poles are snapped in half everywhere. It gets unbelievably quiet at night except for the hum of generators from those few homes that had the foresight enough to think ahead but even those are starting to go quiet for large portions of the day as people try to conserve gas which has become nearly impossible to find unless you find a rare gas station that has fuel and have 2 hours to invest on the line. Fights have broken out on gas lines but luckily most people have been civil.

I noticed an interesting thing about human nature in all of this. the gas stations now have two lines. One for cars and another for people filling gas cans. I stood for about 90 minutes last night on a line to fill a couple of gas cans. t wasnt so bad. You get to know the other people on line and bond over a shared experience. During the time I was on line there were 3 or four verbal altercations that erupted when some thought someone else was jumping the line. All of these occurred between people in the car line. none between people on the gas can line. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that those of us on the gas can line were standing next to each other and talking. Its a lot harder to assume the worst of someone you’ve gotten to know than it is to get angry at an anonymous person in the car in front of you. Not sure what use that observation is but it was interesting

While there were some tragic deaths I dont personally know anyone who was injured. Some crushed homes and one family member had their home nearly washed into the ocean but everyone came through unscathed.

All of this really makes one appreciate what we have and how easy it is to lose it all.

Hope everyone else is well

Wow, quite a story. You had it much harder out there. Glad you’re OK.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 03 November 2012 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  4849
Joined  2007-10-05

Your description matches the photos and videos I’ve seen, Mac. Glad to hear you’re OK. Gov. Cuomo has already stated climate change is real and we need to deal with a new reality. Maybe this will open a policy window allowing us to get started reducing our carbon emissions.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 03 November 2012 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  2424
Joined  2007-07-05

A gas furnace doesn’t actually use that much electricity it just needs it to run the gas valve and igniter if it does not use a pilot.  I ran the furnace in my apartment building off a UPS for a couple of nights.

It will be really horrible if storms like this become the norm in a decade or two.  I saw one web page about how many records Sandy broke.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/statistics-show-just-how-intense-hurricane-sandy-was-15196

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 03 November 2012 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  3202
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 02 November 2012 09:24 AM

If Romney had owned the company he would have outsourced it to China and the poor Canunk woudn’t have died.

Cap’t Jack

I think that Bain Capital did own Staples for awhile, didn’t they?  Maybe part of the profit they made was in going on the cheap in sign construction.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 03 November 2012 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  3202
Joined  2011-11-04
psikeyhackr - 03 November 2012 11:53 AM

A gas furnace doesn’t actually use that much electricity it just needs it to run the gas valve and igniter if it does not use a pilot.  I ran the furnace in my apartment building off a UPS for a couple of nights.

It will be really horrible if storms like this become the norm in a decade or two.  I saw one web page about how many records Sandy broke.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/statistics-show-just-how-intense-hurricane-sandy-was-15196

psik

I hope that rebuilding strongly takes into account that this kind of storm may very well recur.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 03 November 2012 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

People in New Jersey are already talking about rebuilding on the barrier islands. This is madness, especially considering our government uses our tax dollars to provide flood insurance for people and developers building in dangerous areas. There is a very good reason private, for-profit insurance companies will not write those policies.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 03 November 2012 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
DarronS - 03 November 2012 03:58 PM

People in New Jersey are already talking about rebuilding on the barrier islands

Did they miss the note on the rising sea levels?

Signature 

Posted: 03 November 2012 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2012-02-02
asanta - 03 November 2012 10:29 PM
DarronS - 03 November 2012 03:58 PM

People in New Jersey are already talking about rebuilding on the barrier islands

Did they miss the note on the rising sea levels?

Yabut that’s given in meters, and Americans use feet, so that means only Europeans have to worry about it.  wink

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 04 November 2012 04:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Maybe New Jersey plans to follow North Carolina’s lead and outlaw sea level rise.

Between now and July 2016, state agencies may not consider the possibility of accelerated sea level rise in decision-making.

Yeah, that’ll fix it.

Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2012 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Once again, Ben Sargent nails it.

61682d1007440130f9ec001dd8b71c47

Signature 

2 of 4