Send a Julia Sweeney CD to someone campaign
Posted: 26 December 2006 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2006-07-17

It was funny, I bought my girlfriend the Julia Sweeney CD for Christmas and she also bought it for me, so now we have two.

I was going to give one away to an atheist friend, but I just got through listening to it, and I think that perhaps its better that I send it to my mom. I’d send it to my sister, but I doubt she would even listen to it.

The biggest problem is that my mom is now married to a preacher, he is a liberal preacher, but a preacher nonetheless, but she is MY mom after all. She also grew up Catholic.

My biggest concern is that I don’t want her to discuss it with my grandma because she is close to death and a life long devout Catholic, so I’d rather not even broach the issue with her, but anyway, I think that this is a good idea.

So anyway, I think that we should start a drive to buy these Julia Sweeney CDs and send them to friends or family members who believe in God, but may be open to at least listening to the CDs.

Here is the place to buy them:

http://www.juliasweeney.com/letting_go_mini/index.html

No, I’m not a secret marketer for Julia Sweeney, but after listening to the CDs, I think that they are just amazing and are by far the best presentation of this subject matter.

I’m just very impressed with her presentation and hope that this can be more than "preaching to the choir."

Signature 

http://www.rationalrevolution.net

Posted: 27 December 2006 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2006-08-28

I enjoyed her interview on  HNN a couple of months ago.  I even visited her website for more information on the CD. But, I didn’t buy it. But, if it’s that good….  :o

Signature 

Fiction is fun, but facts are fundamental.

Posted: 27 December 2006 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-12-15

She gets a nod in Dawkins’ new book, which I thought was sweet.  He also mentions The Onion on more than one occasion, although he doesn’t appear to be a YouTuber. smile

Posted: 08 January 2007 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-01-05

Julia Sweeney

You can ear a piece of Julia Sweeney at the link:

http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2005/06/letting_go_of_g_1.html

Hope you enjoy it (I sure did!)

Pjay

Signature 

"Truth emerges more readly from error than from confusion" F. Bacon (I think!)

Posted: 21 September 2007 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

I just received my copy of Letting go of God today. My first thought while listening was; “who could I tell about this, maybe I’ll send it via file share to my brother, my gf, my sister.. um.. who else”

I notice in the, Thank You To.. , section of the booklet - - Thanks to Michael Shermer for inviting me to tell my story for the first time, at Cal Tech. for the Skeptics Society.

I’m glad Michael is a Rational Atheist.

Posted: 21 September 2007 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

I was listening to the second CD (of the 2 CD set) lying on my couch watching the sky change colors as the sun slowly set behind a row of trees. About half way through (During sections - What if it’s True, Good-bye to God, So, I’m just an Animal) I felt a lump in my throat then a tear down the side of my face. With her wonderful ability to paint a picture, I watched her, then I had flashes of myself through life. Then I automatically thought, I am emotionally evolved in how to forward science and reason. I am worried about how the “New Atheist” are communicating non-belief. Then she quoted Dawkins; “Certainly those unborn ghosts include poets greater than Keats, scientist greater than Newton. And in the teeth of these stupefying odds, it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here”. I heard that then said out loud; Richard, what the hell are you doing? Certainly if anyone knows the fragility of life, of belief systems, it must be Richard. Then I thought of the words of Baruch Spinoza; “I have made the ceaseless effort not to ridicule, not to bewail, not to scorn human actions, but to understand them.”

Posted: 21 September 2007 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

I downloaded a copy from audible.com this week. I think the performance is great and more persuasive in some ways than the polemics of Dawkins and Harris.

Perhaps more convincing as a template for others.

This might be a good candidate for D.J. to interview.

[ Edited: 25 September 2007 10:35 PM by Jackson ]