The Truth May Not Be Out There After All
Posted: 05 November 2012 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

Due to declining UFO sightings, sagging group membership, and the general paucity of evidence for ETs, many UFO enthusiasts are starting to admit the little green men may not exist.  At least in Britain.  Could this mean the death of Ufology?  One can only hope.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 05 November 2012 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3210
Joined  2011-08-15

Crap! I hope that skepticism nonsense doesn’t catch on here. I have a shipment of bug eyed grey guy dolls for my Area 51 cafe and gift shop in the back room. And if it wasn’t for that beef jerky commercial I wouldn’t be selling these adorable plush bigfoot huggables to the tourist kiddies. Oh well, I still have those soon-to-be extinct penguin dolls ready for the shelf. Get yours soon. I’ll be selling out by 2040.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 November 2012 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

Yeah, these ufology groups are basically just aging neckbeards.  The younger generation of neckbeards have more modern hobbies to keep them virgins! tongue wink

Seriously though, I think the space program inspired stuff the boomers grew up with, has been replaced with a big “who cares”? by the younger people.

[ Edited: 06 November 2012 03:34 AM by mid atlantic ]
 Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 06 November 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-07-25

I think that you may be on to something mid atlantic, I was a little kid but I remember watching the moon landing on tv and after that everyone was looking to the sky for answers and inspiration…some people are more into the fantasy stuff then the evidence based stuff and that really lets the imagination go crazy….I longed to see a ‘UFO’ I did see one once but after about three minutes I identified it as a spot light beacon doing weird things on storm clouds….it looked really spooky !
Don’t we all wish for those benevolent know-it-all aliens to land and solve all our problems for us ?

Posted: 06 November 2012 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
Dead Monky - 05 November 2012 07:51 AM

Link

Due to declining UFO sightings, sagging group membership, and the general paucity of evidence for ETs, many UFO enthusiasts are starting to admit the little green men may not exist.  At least in Britain.  Could this mean the death of Ufology?  One can only hope.

As long as there are Americans it will never die!

Posted: 07 November 2012 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3210
Joined  2011-08-15

As long as there are Americans it will never die!

That was the point of my post Lois. Not only has ufology and cryptozoology become a part of our folklore it is now a business. Think of the photos, videos, phony ghost detecting equipment, some of it costing thousands of dollars, tv shows making millions, tourist dollars to visit haunted sites all over America ( I’ve been to a few, mainly Gettysburg), and the souvenir trade is flourishing. We’ll make a buck off of anything, as long as it’s legal of course. there will always be believers and along with them comes profit. It’s the American way. Why do you think they hate skeptics?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 November 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3202
Joined  2011-11-04
Dead Monky - 05 November 2012 07:51 AM

Link

Little do they know that the aliens (or visitors from the future) have gotten wise and are limiting their forays to over the oceans and to visiting their undersea bases.  Out of sight, out of mind.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 08 November 2012 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26
TimB - 07 November 2012 12:23 PM

Little do they know that the aliens (or visitors from the future) have gotten wise and are limiting their forays to over the oceans and to visiting their undersea bases.  Out of sight, out of mind.

OMG!  The second XCom game was right!  Beware the terror from the deep.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 08 November 2012 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3202
Joined  2011-11-04

Damn, some video game stole my B.S., um, I mean my insightful idea, before I even had it.  How is this possible?  Hmmm…

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 08 November 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Could this mean the death of Ufology?  One can only hope.

Don’t count on it. You would think it would have died out years ago when all those people who claimed (with a straight face) that the Little Green Men took them on regular trips to Venus was falsified by the planet being found to be hot enough to melt lead.

Didn’t happen.

All they did was change the packaging of their story and kept up the sales pitch.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 26 June 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2013-06-25

Right now many are old, but the bad news is these TV shows are actually leading people to believe in the debunked ancient aliens theory. I think that in order to stop these crazy phenomena they need to think scientifically and critically. So far it doesn’t seem like they have a good enough case to make these claims.