2 of 5
Election coverage
Posted: 07 November 2012 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam. - 07 November 2012 10:18 AM

I expect that the religious conservatives are really upset to see that Hurricane Sandy contributed to Obama’s victory.

Sure they are pissed off. They must be, since Chris Matthews is not: “I’m so glad we had that storm last week.” What a goof…

Posted: 07 November 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  975
Joined  2005-01-14

How did Hurricane Sandy contribute to Mr. Obama’s victory?  What did I miss?

Posted: 07 November 2012 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3202
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 07 November 2012 11:17 AM

I expect that the religious conservatives are really upset to see that Hurricane Sandy contributed to Obama’s victory.

Sure they are pissed off. They must be, since Chris Matthews is not: “I’m so glad we had that storm last week.” What a goof…

I wonder if there is any possible natural disaster that could cause Chris Matthews to ask questions of his guests, and then shut up and listen to their answers.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 07 November 2012 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
advocatus - 07 November 2012 11:23 AM

How did Hurricane Sandy contribute to Mr. Obama’s victory?  What did I miss?

Obama got to look presidential and even able to work in a bi-partisan way, right before the election.  So that could have helped him. 

To a lesser degree some few may have even taken Sandy as a harbinger of dire consequences of humans’ impact on global warming and decided to get out and vote for a President who believes in such a thing as global warming.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 07 November 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
TimB - 07 November 2012 11:35 AM

Obama got to look presidential and even able to work in a bi-partisan way, right before the election.  So that could have helped him.

That and the leather jacket he was wearing when he got off his airplane. He looked pretty sharp in it.  smirk

Posted: 07 November 2012 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 07 November 2012 11:42 AM

That and the leather jacket he was wearing when he got off his airplane. He looked pretty sharp in it.  smirk

He usually is a pretty good dresser.  Maybe in 2017, he can go into modeling clothes-for-the-mature-man.

Signature 

Posted: 07 November 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

I expect that the religious conservatives are really upset to see that Hurricane Sandy contributed to Obama’s victory.  If god is on the side of the liberals, they might become P.O.ed enough at him/her/it to become atheists.  LOL

While the slight improvement in the Senate might help a bit, the Republican majority in the House means four more years of government stalemate—very little improvement in taxes or tax structure, financial regulations, health care, or education.  At least we may prevent the Supreme Court from going more conservative, however, I doubt that any of the more conservative justices will retire, and they’re all too damned healthy. 

Occam

On the positive side:  1) the Republicans in Congress don’t have the same motivation (i.e., to block everything as a way of keeping Obama from being re-elected),  2) The tea partiers who have been behind a lot of the stalemate, took a hit in this election, 3) Obama has had 4 years of experience in figuring out what he’s up against, and 4) Obama doesn’t have to worry about being re-elected.

It’s a good day in America.  We should enjoy it, for at least a little while.

Signature 

Posted: 07 November 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  3210
Joined  2011-08-15

George - 07 November 2012 11:42 AM

That and the leather jacket he was wearing when he got off his airplane. He looked pretty sharp in it. 

He usually is a pretty good dresser.  Maybe in 2017, he can go into modeling clothes-for-the-mature-man.

A classic example of nonverbal communication. Obama dresses like a leader even when in casual dress and the military style jacket says he’s the CNC. It works.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 November 2012 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
mid atlantic - 07 November 2012 02:37 AM

Another four years of the same.

With all this “fix the system” rhetoric, the 99% still clung to their Dems and Repubs.  question  oh oh

Fu*king sheep right down to the bone.

Yep, like battered wives with Stockholm syndrome.

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 07 November 2012 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2010-04-19
TimB - 07 November 2012 12:42 PM

I expect that the religious conservatives are really upset to see that Hurricane Sandy contributed to Obama’s victory.  If god is on the side of the liberals, they might become P.O.ed enough at him/her/it to become atheists.  LOL

While the slight improvement in the Senate might help a bit, the Republican majority in the House means four more years of government stalemate—very little improvement in taxes or tax structure, financial regulations, health care, or education.  At least we may prevent the Supreme Court from going more conservative, however, I doubt that any of the more conservative justices will retire, and they’re all too damned healthy. 

Occam

On the positive side:  1) the Republicans in Congress don’t have the same motivation (i.e., to block everything as a way of keeping Obama from being re-elected),  2) The tea partiers who have been behind a lot of the stalemate, took a hit in this election, 3) Obama has had 4 years of experience in figuring out what he’s up against, and 4) Obama doesn’t have to worry about being re-elected.

It’s a good day in America.  We should enjoy it, for at least a little while.

This could also go the opposite way too, you know? Let’s hope that he’s really the good guy that Dems keep trying to fashion him as, because, if he really isn’t, not having to worry about being re-elected anymore can be a very bad thing.

I just really don’t think we should be so easily forgetting some of the more questionable (and sometimes frightening) decisions he has made during his first term.

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 07 November 2012 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  3210
Joined  2011-08-15

I just really don’t think we should be so easily forgetting some of the more questionable (and sometimes frightening) decisions he has made during his first term.

Care to elaborate?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 November 2012 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I kept flipping back and forth between MSNBC and Fox News during the evening, and I got a kick out of their differences.  One was that for a long time Fox listed Obama as having only a small lead in electoral votes over Romney, while MSNBC showed he had a much bigger lead.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 November 2012 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Occam. - 07 November 2012 04:42 PM

I kept flipping back and forth between MSNBC and Fox News during the evening, and I got a kick out of their differences.  One was that for a long time Fox listed Obama as having only a small lead in electoral votes over Romney, while MSNBC showed he had a much bigger lead.  smile

Occam

I was channel surfing and also saw the discrepancies in electoral votes displayed among the stations.  I also got on the web and found a site, that was way ahead (and accurately so) of even MSNBC in calling the electoral votes in favor of Obama.  I think that there is some influence in television media toward filling their time and having an entertaining show (in that a close race is more entertaining than an early blow out.)

Signature 

Posted: 07 November 2012 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

It is interesting to me that it is about 20 hours, now since the election was called on TV by most of the networks, but Florida whose votes have now been 100% counted, with Obama winning by more than the .5% margin of difference that would require a recount, none of the networks, as of now, are reporting that Obama won Florida or that he has 332 electoral votes.  They all still have him as having 303 electoral votes.

Obama swept the swing states.  That is an amazing political accomplishment. I think that David Axelrod has put the vaunted Karl Rove to shame.

Signature 

Posted: 08 November 2012 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2010-04-19
Thevillageatheist - 07 November 2012 03:31 PM

Care to elaborate?

Cap’t Jack

Have you been to the link I posted? I think Chris Hedges is able to put things much more eloquently than I can.

Signature 

- Bruce Lee -

2 of 5