1 of 2
Gay Marriage Approved In Maryland
Posted: 07 November 2012 03:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24

I played a part.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-same-sex-ballot-20121106,0,442750.story

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 07 November 2012 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

It’s fascinating that our country is becoming more liberal socially - gays, women, ethnicities/races, even marijuana,  and shift away from theology, but we’ve been moving in the other direction economically.  This divergence between the social and economic philosophy doesn’t seem likely to exist for long.  I just hope the probable correction doesn’t occur with widespread violence.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 November 2012 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  2011-11-04
mid atlantic - 07 November 2012 03:46 AM

I played a part.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-same-sex-ballot-20121106,0,442750.story

Good work, MidAtlantic.  Political activism is not easy.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 07 November 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3258
Joined  2011-08-15

It can also be potentially dangerous too. One of my buddies had his car vandalized for having an Obama sticker on his Bumper. . This has been a seriously emotional election. Facebook is buzzing with hate speech. Good stance Mike. It takes guts to stand up and be counted.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 November 2012 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

“I would not want someone to deny my rights based on their religious views,” the Rev. Delman Coates of Mt. Ennon Baptist Church in Prince George’s County said in one ad. “Therefore I should not deny others based upon mine.”

How unusually insightful and humanist for a religious leader!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 07 November 2012 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
asanta - 07 November 2012 08:41 PM

“I would not want someone to deny my rights based on their religious views,” the Rev. Delman Coates of Mt. Ennon Baptist Church in Prince George’s County said in one ad. “Therefore I should not deny others based upon mine.”

How unusually insightful and humanist for a religious leader!

A Christian that actually follows the Golden Rule.  What will they think of next?

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 08 November 2012 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 07 November 2012 01:53 PM

It can also be potentially dangerous too. One of my buddies had his car vandalized for having an Obama sticker on his Bumper. . This has been a seriously emotional election. Facebook is buzzing with hate speech. Good stance Mike. It takes guts to stand up and be counted.

Cap’t Jack

Thank you guys, but I’m not an activist.

It was my first time voting, and it just feels good knowing that something I voted for, passed.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 08 November 2012 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
mid atlantic - 08 November 2012 03:43 AM
Thevillageatheist - 07 November 2012 01:53 PM

Cap’t Jack

Thank you guys, but I’m not an activist.

It was my first time voting, and it just feels good knowing that something I voted for, passed.

Well, that is more active than some.  Anyway, score one for humanism.

Signature 

Posted: 08 November 2012 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3258
Joined  2011-08-15

Well, that is more active than some.  Anyway, score one for humanism.

Here here, and it sure beats the fist pumping, “there ought a be a law” down at the bar. that’s why I don’t like facebook.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 November 2012 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2011-11-06

As a gay Marylander, I say thank you. Not only were the victories in MD, ME, MN & WA very important for fairness in those states, I believe it will set a precedent for other states. And no longer can those trying to limit equality can they say this issue has never won at the ballot by popular vote.

Posted: 19 November 2012 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
FinallyDecided - 19 November 2012 10:37 AM

As a gay Marylander, I say thank you. Not only were the victories in MD, ME, MN & WA very important for fairness in those states, I believe it will set a precedent for other states. And no longer can those trying to limit equality can they say this issue has never won at the ballot by popular vote.

Yes, me thinks the tide has turned on this issue.

Signature 

Posted: 19 November 2012 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Although the anti-marriage-equality Proposition narrowly won two years ago because the Mormon church pumped a huge amount of money into the state for advertising, they got so much bad press and Calif. govt. investigation, that they seem to have kept their noses out of the recent elections.  I’d guess that we willhave another Proposition to recind the prior one in California in the next few years.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 19 November 2012 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Or the SCOTUS will just uphold the myriad of lower court decisions overturning Prop hate. They have agreed to hear the case.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 November 2012 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Damn, you’re right, Asanta.  I forgot about that.  red face

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 20 November 2012 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Worst case, just wait a few more decades.  The social trend is toward increased acceptance of gays and gays rights with each successive generation.  So as the more gay friendly young people increase in numbers and the older more homophobic ones dies off the culture should reach a tipping point and fall overwhelmingly in favor.  Of course, this precludes any unforseen and drastic shifts in our culture.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 20 November 2012 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

None of our other population controls have worked.  Let’s hope that one does.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

1 of 2