2 of 2
Gay Marriage Approved In Maryland
Posted: 20 November 2012 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3191
Joined  2011-11-04
Dead Monky - 20 November 2012 08:13 AM

Worst case, just wait a few more decades.  The social trend is toward increased acceptance of gays and gays rights with each successive generation.  So as the more gay friendly young people increase in numbers and the older more homophobic ones dies off the culture should reach a tipping point and fall overwhelmingly in favor.  Of course, this precludes any unforseen and drastic shifts in our culture.

Well said, (but without a hint of parody, irony, sarcasm, or fatalistic humor. What is becoming of you, Dead Monky?)

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 20 November 2012 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2012-02-02

Worst case, just wait a few more decades.  The social trend is toward increased acceptance of gays and gays rights with each successive generation.  So as the more gay friendly young people increase in numbers and the older more homophobic ones dies off the culture should reach a tipping point and fall overwhelmingly in favor.  Of course, this precludes any unforseen and drastic shifts in our culture.

Nate Silver has projected that it’ll be 2024, at the latest, before gay marriage is legal in all 50 states.  That was 4 years ago, and with SCOTUS getting involved in the matter, we may see an end to the bigoted ban before then.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 20 November 2012 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2011-11-06
Occam. - 20 November 2012 12:26 PM

None of our other population controls have worked.  Let’s hope that one does.  LOL

Occam

Agreed. And same sex couples can greatly benefit society via adoption. I don’t see why some conservatives don’t recognize this benefit to society.

Posted: 20 November 2012 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2011-11-06

This is true. While same sex marriage may have won by a narrow margin in Maryland, the stats I saw showed that young voters (as defined by voters 29 and under) voted for same sex marriage at a ratio of 7:10. This shows, as Laura Bush said, is a generational issue and I am confident that all states will one day legalize same sex marriage.

Posted: 26 November 2012 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26
TimB - 20 November 2012 12:27 PM

Well said, (but without a hint of parody, irony, sarcasm, or fatalistic humor. What is becoming of you, Dead Monky?)

I can’t be serious all the time.  I have to throw a curveball once in a while.  grin

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  3191
Joined  2011-11-04
Dead Monky - 26 November 2012 09:06 AM
TimB - 20 November 2012 12:27 PM

I can’t be serious all the time.  I have to throw a curveball once in a while.  grin

It should scare me to think how much I am like you, in that respect. Yet, somehow I am vaguely proud of it.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 26 November 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Nah, we have a variety of almost unique personalities here.  We have only one Dead Monky, one George, one Darrons, one Asanta, one Macgyver, one Doug, one Stephen,  one GdB, one Kkwan, now one TimB and one Dan62.  And, I’m sure I’ve missed quite a few. LOL

Oh, how could I have forgotten psikey?

For those of you not mentioned, I’ll point out that I carefully used, “almost unique” rather than “weird” for some of those I listed. LOL

Occam

[ Edited: 26 November 2012 06:42 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 27 November 2012 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

I prefer “eccentric”. LOL

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

2 of 2