1 of 2
Cause-Effect & Complex-Simplistic
Posted: 07 November 2012 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Most pundits claimed that one cause of Obama’s victory was the increasing influence of minority voters (African-American, Latino, unwed women, young people, etc.).  O’Reilly said it was because 50% of the voters wanted “stuff” and they figured Obama would give it to them.  Strangely, I agree with O’Reilly, but with a completely different spin. 

First, it wasn’t because they were minorities, but because they are the ones most hurt by the recent economic regulations forcing funds to trickle up and away from the middle and poorer classes to the top 1%.  Second, it wasn’t because they just wanted more “stuff”, but because they wanted more economic equality and support that would allow them to participate in our society.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 08 November 2012 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2714
Joined  2011-04-24

Well, they are the most hurt.

I don’t think they necessarily want to participate in our society; I mean, they already do obviously, but I would not say they want to be on the same level as “rationalist white men, or progressive humanists, etc.”  They want a break, and whoever seems more likely to give it to them, is who they will vote for.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 08 November 2012 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree that they would prefer have equal opportunities and not be discriminiated against, however, our recent economic methods have split our population and driven them even more to the bottom.  A person with a decent house, job, income, and accessibility to monetary pleasures isn’t nearly as motivated if s/he’s discriminated against as one who’s also suffering major financial hardship.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 08 November 2012 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Not to mention that “rationalist white men” want a break too. Thus the steep decline in our top tax rate. Thus attempts to gut regulations on financial firms and environmental safety, so that some can make large profits and leave society to pick up the tab. Thus TARP.

The difference is that the most hurt actually need a break, because they often cannot get jobs, because they need food and housing, because they are sick, because they are injured, because they are old. Not so true of these “rationalist white men”, who are already wealthy and have breaks from family connections.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 08 November 2012 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I know I’d like a break from a choice between paying nearly $2000/mos for health insurance with high deductibles for my dependent sibling or letting him go without, and hope he doesn’t get sick. He isn’t eligible for state insurance until he runs out of money, which would happen pretty quickly were I to pay for the insurance. Meanwhile, he gets his vaccinations from the local drug-store, and I’ll pay out of pocket if he needs a trip to the doctor. I can’t wait until 2014 gets here.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 09 November 2012 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
dougsmith - 08 November 2012 11:25 AM

Not to mention that “rationalist white men” want a break too. Thus the steep decline in our top tax rate. Thus attempts to gut regulations on financial firms and environmental safety, so that some can make large profits and leave society to pick up the tab. Thus TARP.

The difference is that the most hurt actually need a break, because they often cannot get jobs, because they need food and housing, because they are sick, because they are injured, because they are old. Not so true of these “rationalist white men”, who are already wealthy and have breaks from family connections.

Your last sentence is the most meaningful. The people at the top aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. As far as “breaks” go, there are many different kinds of breaks.

I suppose the main point that I’m making, is that we as a society are not in this all together.

Signature 

Posted: 09 November 2012 04:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
asanta - 08 November 2012 03:57 PM

Meanwhile, he gets his vaccinations from the local drug-store, and I’ll pay out of pocket if he needs a trip to the doctor. I can’t wait until 2014 gets here.

Are the vaccinations in your area very expensive, Asanta?

I get a Flu vaccination from the local “Safeway” pharmacy; the cost is pretty reasonable - $30

Signature 

Posted: 09 November 2012 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Stop complaining, guys. Although my flu shot was “free,” our government takes away a half of my income. More and more of my friends are finding themselves without a family doctor, and the ERs look like the trains from India, with people from third world countries filling up the waiting rooms all the way up to the roof.

Posted: 09 November 2012 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3254
Joined  2011-08-15

know I’d like a break from a choice between paying nearly $2000/mos for health insurance with high deductibles for my dependent sibling or letting him go without, and hope he doesn’t get sick. He isn’t eligible for state insurance until he runs out of money, which would happen pretty quickly were I to pay for the insurance. Meanwhile, he gets his vaccinations from the local drug-store, and I’ll pay out of pocket if he needs a trip to the doctor. I can’t wait until 2014 gets here.

Same here Asanta, the restaurant my son works at (he’s a KM) offers health care coverage for upper management only and none for the employees. BTW this is typical for most restaurant chains as their workers are transitory. So we pay his dental care and health care out of pocket as well until he finishes his degree.  As a side note, the dist. mgr. sent down a sheet to be posted threatening to shorten worker’s hours if Obama was reelected due to increased costs of the affordable health care act and encouraged them to vote for Romney! The GM refused to post the sheet. We’re lucky here as the local health dept. charges $15.00 for a flu shot or you can get one for free from a local WV hospital’s drive by clinic. You just stick your arm out the window and they stick you. So, If the reps. don’t work to gut the act we should be fine.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 November 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 07 November 2012 04:52 PM

Most pundits claimed that one cause of Obama’s victory was the increasing influence of minority voters (African-American, Latino, unwed women, young people, etc.).  O’Reilly said it was because 50% of the voters wanted “stuff” and they figured Obama would give it to them.  Strangely, I agree with O’Reilly, but with a completely different spin. 

First, it wasn’t because they were minorities, but because they are the ones most hurt by the recent economic regulations forcing funds to trickle up and away from the middle and poorer classes to the top 1%.  Second, it wasn’t because they just wanted more “stuff”, but because they wanted more economic equality and support that would allow them to participate in our society.

Occam

Here’s Jon Stewart’s take: http://www.hulu.com/watch/422952

wink

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 09 November 2012 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
dougsmith - 08 November 2012 11:25 AM

LL.  Don’t mention that to “rationalist white men.” it gives them the willeys, and they won’t believe it anyway.  They know that people out of work don’t want jobs and want to live off the public dole.

Posted: 09 November 2012 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
Occam. - 07 November 2012 04:52 PM

Occam

Someone asked NJ Governor Chris Christie why he thought Romney lost the election.  His answer: “He didn’t get enough votes.”

Posted: 09 November 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
George - 09 November 2012 05:31 AM

Stop complaining, guys. Although my flu shot was “free,” our government takes away a half of my income. More and more of my friends are finding themselves without a family doctor, and the ERs look like the trains from India, with people from third world countries filling up the waiting rooms all the way up to the roof.

Those people are from a third world country, all right.  The good ol’ USA.

Posted: 09 November 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

Yea.  No Irsih need apply.  Put the Krauts in concentration camps.  And it’s time to tear down the Staute of Liberty.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 10 November 2012 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

You’ve gotta emigrate to Buffalo! wink

Signature 

Posted: 10 November 2012 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Lois - 09 November 2012 01:09 PM

Those people are from a third world country, all right.  The good ol’ USA.

Hmmm, Can’t tell if you’re joking or not.

Signature 

1 of 2