1 of 6
A Demographic Breakdown Of The World Of Religion
Posted: 08 November 2012 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

It’s a little dated (from earlier this year), but it’s still a pretty interesting visual representation of the size of the world’s various religions.

Link

I’d post the graphic itself, but it’s freaking huge.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 08 November 2012 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3213
Joined  2011-08-15

Wow! The first thing you see is that gigantic abrahamic blue dot staring at you like the old CBS eye. Scary!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 November 2012 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

It’s not surprising.  Unlike many religions Christianity and Islam come with imperatives to convert.  And they’ve made one hell of a go of it over the years.

Signature 

Posted: 12 November 2012 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2010-10-09

Wot - no Satanists? There are millions of them according to some books I’ve read, by Marrs, Larson and others…. surely they must deserve at least a 2 or 3cm diameter circle???

Oh. Right. Most of them don’t actually know they’re Satanists, but they’re all just dupes of Satan…. Unconscious Satanists, you might say. Catholics, Muslims, Hindus, Vodoun, Mormons,,  Wiccans, Agnostics, Atheists, Secular Humanists, insufficiently devout Protestants….. Right. Good thing we got that sorted out.

Posted: 13 November 2012 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

I did post the map to my favorites,  keeping in mind that it very genaralized as well as very political.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 13 November 2012 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Yeah well, good luck finding something like this that isn’t at least one of those things.

Signature 

Posted: 13 November 2012 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22
Dead Monky - 13 November 2012 11:06 AM

Yeah well, good luck finding something like this that isn’t at least one of those things.

Not in the social sciences, or the university. rolleyes

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 14 November 2012 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

Non - believers are only a drop in the bucket.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 20 November 2012 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

Keep in mind that a significant amount of Muslims are secretly atheist, agnostic or spiritually inclined toward other religions. It’s very dangerous for a Muslim to admit that he or she is no longer a follower of Islam. Of course there are also Christians who are atheist, agnostic or spiritually inclined toward other religions, especially in rural areal, but don’t say so because the disadvantages they fear. During the Cold War in the East there were many atheists who were secretly Christians. That shows some of the problems with statistics.

Posted: 20 November 2012 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

Nothing is as frightening as the faith surrounding the Latter Day Saints faith that was founded in America by a man having the seizures of Epilepsy that may have been responsible for his vision of the Angel Moroni starting Joseph Smith into the background of the Mormon faith.  Seizures have never bothered me in the least as many people living in my area of Santa Monica had shown signs of Epilepsy that may have been caused by a brain injury from a surf board.  But I never remember a vision of an Angel giving Smith stone squares that told of Jesus ending up in America.  That vision would scare the best of us trying to survive living on the Coast of California.

The stones were coded in a new codex form that meant nothing to anyone.  Joseph Smith felt it was a message from God to be given to Americans for their salvation.  Who showed up to lead this salvation but a dumb ass named Mitt Romney.  I can speak on this because Mitt and I have the same Great Grandfather and that pisses me off. 

My Mother attended Brigham Young University with George Romney and didn’t think he was too bright.  He must have been because he was the Governor of Michigan.  Mother transfered to USC when she disovered she as related to the entire Freshman class at BYU.  Those Mormons sure can breed.  At USC she found a young man and married him.  I was their only child.  My mother was not a breeder.  Romney became the Primary Republican and it took him 20 minutes to ban all birth control and abortions.  He wanted a Constitutional Amendment to keep gays from marrying.  That was a waste of effort as they don’t breed anyway.  Thank heavens he lost his bid for the White House. 

The Mormons have one very bad habit and that is to search out all cemetaries where the Jewish People are buried and have them baptized by proxy.  They tried this in Poland after WW2, the the Jews in Israel raised hell and told the Mormons to leave them alone!  Apparently the Mormons have a quota and the more they baptize the higher they go in heaven.  I’m not making this up.  This is the fastest growing religion in America.  Hide your dead.

Posted: 20 November 2012 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Yeah, the baptising dead Jews thing is a real douche move.  Maybe they’re just making up for their own funeral ritual.

Signature 

Posted: 20 November 2012 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  3213
Joined  2011-08-15

The Mormons have one very bad habit and that is to search out all cemetaries where the Jewish People are buried and have them baptized by proxy.  They tried this in Poland after WW2, the the Jews in Israel raised hell and told the Mormons to leave them alone!  Apparently the Mormons have a quota and the more they baptize the higher they go in heaven.  I’m not making this up.  This is the fastest growing religion in America.  Hide your dead.

They’re going to have a hard time finding me, I’m going to be sprinkled in the Ohio R. Hell, that’s about the only way I’m going to get to New Orleans! I think you’re right about the Mormons growing so quickly. Lately I’ve seen several billboards in and around Pittsburg showing happy, smiling (vacantly) white faces with the Mormon logo in red to catch the eye. I want to shout run! It’s a freekin’ cult! They’ll put a pod under your bed!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 November 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  3205
Joined  2011-11-04
Dead Monky - 09 November 2012 08:25 AM

It’s not surprising.  Unlike many religions Christianity and Islam come with imperatives to convert.  And they’ve made one hell of a go of it over the years.

Not only the imperative to convert, but a tendency, at times to effectively wipe out other religions.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 20 November 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

After I’m dead, the Mormons could baptize me or piss on me.  Either way, I don’t think I will be bothered.  In fact, in my current alive state, I find it somewhat amusing that they make such asses of themselves.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 20 November 2012 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

The point is Tim, that if we elect a leader who is a Mormon then the entire citizenship of America will have to follow that faith.  When I was growing up, religion was a choice.  Today when we debate the various different Gods and their followers, the people feel the government sets the religions for us.  I was watching CSPAN on a Sunday morning and a woman was crying into the phone that she did not want to be a Mormon therefore she did not want Romney in the White House.  The American citizens are sheep waiting to be told what they must do.  Even this morning during my physical therapy session, I was asked outright if I was an Atheist and I said “yes” and a man jumped on me for insisting that I expect all Americans to be Atheists.  This is what is wrong with America.  He asked me why I brought it up and I said because he asked me if I was an Atheist.  It is nearly impossible to have a conversation about anything.  We all are exposed to certain television shows just as we are exposed to what God we choose.  All of these things are choices.  I often hear names dropped when a certain personality is mentioned.  I often don’t know what they are talking about.  The fact I had no television in our home while our children were growing up.  If something is mentioned why not describe it instead of assuming I watch a television show?  I chose not to have television where my kids lived.  We were book readers and we I chose classical music in our home.  That was my choice.  My kids survived it and went on to the University of California at Berkeley and graduated with honors.  I drove them to the campus and felt that they could locate their rooms and classrooms or they would simply come home.  they were gone for 4 years so they found something.

Rush Limbaugh just was quoted on a news program yelling that Republicans must be pro-choice.  He claims that this is what won the election for Obama.  Only if Romney wanted the women’s vote, then yes he should have been pro-choice on everything and everyone would have voted for him.  I often get the feeling that American voters have a lower IQ than other nations.  The GOP tried to cater to the lowest possible intelligence numbers.  My recommendation would have been to return to the Separation of Church and State and everyone would win the election.  Could it be that Americans cannot locate right from wrong these days?  This man asked me if I believed in UFOs?  Of course I do, because we have so many sighted in our skys.  The fact I don’t know what they are makes them unidentified.  My son makes models for the History Channel so UFO’s have become a family business.  I am simple minded and do not pretend to know everything.  Do I believe that everyone believes in UFOs?  I have to because if people knew what they are, they would not be unidentified.  Somebody help me out here.

Posted: 20 November 2012 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Sandy, if Romney had been elected, I think that there would have been a lot of negative consequences, but I don’t think that everyone would have had to follow Mormonism.  That seems to be an odd assertion.

I can see how watching TV occasionally these days could be disconcerting, as could be interacting with others in a society that is composed of so many TV addicts.

Romney could not have won the election by becoming adamantly pro-choice, because, even though he may have gotten a lot more of the single women vote, he would have lost the support of many voters and activists in his base.

There have been many reports of people seeing things flying in the sky that they could not identify.  So, to that extent (but pretty much only to that extent), I believe in the existence of unidentified flying objects.

Signature 

1 of 6