2 of 6
A Demographic Breakdown Of The World Of Religion
Posted: 20 November 2012 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

I remember when Romney ran in 2008 he was pro-choice all the way.  He was swallowed up by the GOP Platform and it destroyed him.  He has no core belief and he never did.  He would follow whatever sounded like a win.

Today the Americans want an American religion as long as it reeks of Christianity, it will sell.  America must represemt a White Straight Christian male leadership claim.  Nothing less will work.  I have spent many years mingling among political people and America is becoming brown and it annoys Rush Limbaugh. 

America is not the nation it was when I began voting and I seriously doubt I will ever vote again.  I am not completely white as my 80 years out in the sun has darkened my body to the point that my freckles have grown together and I am mocha which is the color make up they made up for me.  I quit fighting it.  I’m so damn old and wrinkeled that I look like an old boxer dog.

Posted: 20 November 2012 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3205
Joined  2011-11-04

Sandy, I bet you have another Presidential vote in you.  Who knows?  You may get to vote for the first female President.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 20 November 2012 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3215
Joined  2011-08-15

To hell with Rush and his FOWB agenda. He’s history now and he’s back peddling and throwing Romney under the bus as have most of the rep. Talking heads. if the conservatives don’t pull their party back to the center it will falter and die. the first thing they have to do is stop this us v. Them mentality and take a page from a rep. President’s playbook who was a progressive of all things! Teddy Roosevelt said “There are no hyphenated Americans, we are ALL Americans” (paraphrase). And you may have the opportunity of voting for a female pres. If Hilary decides to run.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 November 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Sorry, Sandy, but even with the microscopic amount of Iroquois and living in So. Calif., I’ve used SPF 30 sunscreen for years so I’m still lilly whitesmile

And, although it doesn’t get much press, the number of non-church-goers has been increasing nicely each year.  We probably won’t live to see it, but I’ll bet in the next twenty or thirty years we’ll have congressmen who have come out as atheists.

Occam

(Edited to fix the error pointed out below by Sandy.)

[ Edited: 21 November 2012 06:56 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 21 November 2012 04:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

But, my dear Occam,  Lillies come in all beautiful colors.  My skin color has bothered my grandmother for many years and she checked with the Salt Lake City Temple and discovered one of her ancestors had picked up a baby Cherokee and brought her back to one of his grandsons that this may be why I’m darker than the rest of the family.  My grandmother was also Mocha and it was a well-kept secret as Mormons do not believe in breeding outside the family white color.  We lived on the beach and I was never allowed to go outside without long pants and long shirts and a big hat.  Even when I went to boarding school I had to wear clothing to cover me.  This was ridiculous as I was on the tennis team and of course played volleyball daily. 

My older girl is my color but the baby remains white.  I call her the baby but she is in her late 40s.  This is such a waste of time to worry about skin color.  I did some commercials and had my make up done to match my skin and learned I am Mocha.  I don’t care anymore and I am the oldest of my generation and swim everyday as therapy for arthritis.  It was the Mormon nonsense that made several of us considered odd-balls.  My husband was white on white and looked silly out in the sun.  Hey this color thing can go both ways.  I shared an office with Reagan’s older daughter and she was in awe of my color and used to bake in the sun.  She eventually died of skin cancer and I felt so sad to lose such a great girl friend.  She worked most of her life for women’s freedoms and was very brave when many forgot that her father was the first Governor who signed onto Roe vs Wade.  We all got on a bus and were in the Sacramento office to celebrate his courage.  She was in my office the day her Father was shot and her Secret Service men had her on a plane in 15 minutes for D.C.  I never saw her again as she married one of her Secret Service men and they moved to D.C.  She had adopted a little girl from Nigeria and I was able to see her at the televised funeral at the Washington Cathedral.  I was in D.C. at the time but I could not have attended the service as I tear up easily when I lose a pal.  I’m better off in a closet somewhere with a box of Kleenex. 

I will wait for a woman candidate for President.  I’m beyond party affiliation and will always work for anyone who respects the choices that we all have to make during our lives.  It is important that we all realize that religion is a choice and never a given.  Our sexuality on the other hand is a given and I am pleased that humans can now live and love as we are born.  I have always been attracted to men and saddened when those same men are also attracted to men.  My strange sense of humor has saved me from making a complete ass out of myself.  My mother married a gay man and my children called him their fairy god-father.  I hang my head in shame.

[ Edited: 21 November 2012 04:56 AM by Sandy Price ]

Posted: 21 November 2012 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  7595
Joined  2007-03-02

My family doesn’t use any sunscreen.  My older son got one sever burn as a teenager, which peeled, and he thought it was cool.  That was a lesson learned, in that darker complexions can burn.  Just because one is black or part black, as well as part American Indian, doesn’t mean they cannot burn.  I’m part American Indian and it takes an awful lot to make me even tan.  I rarely burn, but when I do, it’s only because I’ve been outside since sunrise until sundown.  Meanwhile, my mother is a redhead and she has always burned within 15 min of being out in the sun, but I learned to hate sunscreen because she would lather it on so heavily due to worrying I would burn like she does because I’m her daughter.  My sons and I had a terrible dispute with one daycare, which insisted children must have sunscreen SPF 30 or higher to avoid burns.  My sons don’t like sunscreen either, so when I got through to the daycare that my sons were in no danger of a burn during a 30 min to an hour recess time outside, they compromised with me on a SPF 10, but not with my sons.  They demanded that I made them put it on their body, even though I was not there to make such a demand and even if I was, it’s their bodies.  I felt as though it was a violation of their bodies to force them to do such a thing, esp since they are in no danger of burning during a short time outdoors.

However, I’m trying to figure out how we got on the topic of sunscreen when this is about demographics.  I guess talking about WASPs can lead to skin complexion.  aB9ep.gif  Here’s what I don’t get about religion- IF God made everyone, despite any marks he might give a group of people, then what’s the issue with the different complexions?  I never could figure that one out even when I was a Xian.  It was very easy to figure out that everyone had a different concept of who and what God was just by looking at all the different religions and different Xian sects, but the skin colour issue I never understood.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 21 November 2012 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

I probably wandered off topic a bit.  I am old dear and wander a lot.  I’m feeling a little shaky this morning.  I do enjoy the company of this site.  You are all bright and interesting people.  Ignore me.

Posted: 21 November 2012 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
Sandy Price - 21 November 2012 09:16 AM

I probably wandered off topic a bit.  I am old dear and wander a lot.  I’m feeling a little shaky this morning.  I do enjoy the company of this site.  You are all bright and interesting people.  Ignore me.

Now, Sandy.  I like you, even though I don’t really know you.  You are very intelligent and most of all compassionate, from what I can tell from your posts.  So why would I want to ignore such a person, even if they are old and wander a lot?  I find the most interesting people, who enjoy intelligent conversations that is, to be older individuals who have experienced life, esp without the constrains of religious extremism.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 21 November 2012 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  3215
Joined  2011-08-15

Now, Sandy.  I like you, even though I don’t really know you.  You are very intelligent and most of all compassionate, from what I can tell from your posts.  So why would I want to ignore such a person, even if they are old and wander a lot?  I find the most interesting people, who enjoy intelligent conversations that is, to be older individuals who have experienced life, esp without the constrains of religious extremism.

Same here, and boy has this thread wondered, oh well in for a penny, what I’ve learned so far is that the mind (ok your brain), doesn’t register time the same way your body does. The old cliche’ about not recognizing yourself in the mirror is true, for me at least. Mentally I’m somewhere in my early 30’s but physically 63. This is patently unfair and I’m registering a complaint with the big g. And even though we all decry the use of anecdotal evidence I’ve always enjoyed sharing life experiences with people and have learned a hellova lot of history that way. For instance, we baby boomers grew up in the 50’s and everyone parent’s had experiences in the War. I learned about WW II from first hand accounts and some of their experiences were horrific. I got to observe first hand how traumatic moments in life can leave permanent scars. It was fascinating and scary too. It led to my fascination with military history and biography. And as to religious discussions, being immersed in the culture of our area religion was a tradition, as were the religious holidays , which I still look forward to, the tradition that is. The religious part was just something we had to suffer through to get at the candy and presents. Religion really never took hold of me as hard as I tried to fit in with my peers. Besides, we were an eclectic bunch believe it or not. I had Catholic friends, African-American baptists, Jewish friends, once dated a Jewish girl I graduated high school with, and a couple of apatheists too. Most of us ended up down on campus together then life drove us in different directions. Pretty normal existence after all. But life’s been great for me with few exceptions and I still have my health, knock on wood, just need to exercise more often. As to skin color, since that’s the topic, I can tan under a light bulb. My skin stays a permanent copper tone and in the Summer gets darker and darker copper. My father is dark And had jet black hair and dark brown eyes. His grandmother was a full blood and I have her pictures, definitely Indian, but my mother is of German and French extraction and white, white, white. She can tan a little, but not much. After all we’re all homo sapiens regardless of skin tone and can and do marry outside of our race. Here we have many people of mixed race and their skin tone varies from very dark to extreme white, yep albino. Diversity is the key to understanding and enlightenment. I’ll take heterogeneity any day!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 21 November 2012 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

Thank you!  I am trying very hard not to wander mentally.  My kids often remind me of this problem.  They also have to put up with an ancient 23 year old cat who wanders all over the golf course where we live.  She is not allowed outside and I’m not fast enough to grab her before she gets to point where she is truly lost.  Our old dog used to follow her around and bring her home.  But that old dog died a couple of years ago so old Emma is on her own here.  I’ve only been here a couple of years but most people recognize her and will call me.  My main prioblem is a yellow coyote who lives on the golf course and Emma thinks it is Kate which could be a problem. 

Thank you for being patient with me.

Posted: 21 November 2012 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  3205
Joined  2011-11-04
Mriana - 21 November 2012 07:57 AM

...  I guess talking about WASPs can lead to skin complexion.  aB9ep.gif  Here’s what I don’t get about religion- IF God made everyone, despite any marks he might give a group of people, then what’s the issue with the different complexions?  I never could figure that one out even when I was a Xian.  It was very easy to figure out that everyone had a different concept of who and what God was just by looking at all the different religions and different Xian sects, but the skin colour issue I never understood.

The obvious answer is that God didn’t make everyone, or if he/she/it did, it utilized the process of natural selection in doing so.  There is some evidence that we are prediposed from birth to recognize and be biased against subtle differences in others. (see “Babies are Bigots” under the Philosophy heading). (Aside: How’s that for marketing?) Skin color is a pretty salient discriminative stimulus for suggesting the possible presence of differences.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 21 November 2012 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
TimB - 21 November 2012 12:13 PM
Mriana - 21 November 2012 07:57 AM

...  I guess talking about WASPs can lead to skin complexion.  aB9ep.gif  Here’s what I don’t get about religion- IF God made everyone, despite any marks he might give a group of people, then what’s the issue with the different complexions?  I never could figure that one out even when I was a Xian.  It was very easy to figure out that everyone had a different concept of who and what God was just by looking at all the different religions and different Xian sects, but the skin colour issue I never understood.

The obvious answer is that God didn’t make everyone, or if he/she/it did, it utilized the process of natural selection in doing so.  There is some evidence that we are prediposed from birth to recognize and be biased against subtle differences in others. (see “Babies are Bigots” under the Philosophy heading). (Aside: How’s that for marketing?) Skin color is a pretty salient discriminative stimulus for suggesting the possible presence of differences.

Not necessarily true.  Some of us are truly colour blind when it come to other humans.  ie, I thought the oldest Cosby girl (Sandra?) was white for years and could not see her as part of the family.  My mother insisted the girl is black and I insisted she is white.  Turns our we were both right and wrong.  The girl is biracial.  Unless they have an accent, I can’t tell many Latinos apart from any other American.  My older son has some of the same colour blindness and it’s not just biracial people that trip our brains, but other types of complexions throw us too.  You can’t be a bigot if you don’t know the different and actually I never seen a baby take issue with people’s skin colour.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 21 November 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

From a personal experience as a father of three kids, I think young children can tell (and do to tell in the most embarrassing ways) when they encounter a child of a different race. But that’s where it ends. They know the child may be black but it doesn’t stop them from interacting with each other. It does, however, change as they grow older. I have discussed this topic with my boys a number of times but I find it rather difficult and often very confusing.

Posted: 21 November 2012 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

It doesn’t change for everyone, George.  One may know that another is a different complexion, but it’s not something they think about or even acknowledge much, even as adults.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 21 November 2012 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I think it actually gets better as we become adults. But given the choice, kids will probably prefer to surround themselves with other kids who are their own sex, similar age, and probably same race. And escpecily when they are in a group of others kids, which seems to be the case with my boys. My kids interact without any problem with the children of my close friends, who are a Nigerian and a Pakistani. In school, however, none of them will play with the handful of the non-white kids (our city is 99% white). When I asked them what the problem is, they tell me that nobody wants to play with them, so why should they. I am obviously not going to tell my kids whom they should be friends with, so this is where it starts to get a little complicated.

And it gets even worse when we discuss gays. My boys think that being gay is simply disgusting and they would never play with another boy who is overly feminine. But I know this will pass and although I never try to stay away from discussing any topic with my kids, I do fear the moments when the discussion turms to race or homosexuality.

[ Edited: 21 November 2012 06:38 PM by George ]

2 of 6