5 of 6
A Demographic Breakdown Of The World Of Religion
Posted: 23 November 2012 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

No, people don’t change. Or do you really think that Bill Clinton’s and Harry Reid’s (both Southerners) racist remarks about Obama were just accidents? There are many reasons why today people won’t say what is on their minds regarding other races and what was acceptable to say only a few dacedes ago, but I really doubt it’s because people have changed.

Posted: 23 November 2012 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 23 November 2012 04:09 PM

No, people don’t change. Or do you really think that Bill Clinton’s and Harry Reid’s (both Southerners) racist remarks about Obama were just accidents? There are many reasons why today people won’t say what is on their minds regarding other races and what was acceptable to say only a few dacedes ago, but I really doubt it’s because people have changed.

If people didn’t change we would all still be be gurgling and crying for mother’s milk.  Well actually we would be dead, because we couldn’t survive if we didn’t change.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 23 November 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  2676
Joined  2011-04-24
Mriana - 23 November 2012 11:46 AM
George - 23 November 2012 09:04 AM

Mriana,

I am not blaming, nor rewarding, anybody for anything; certainly not your sons nor you. I leave that up to Tim, and, yes, you as well. Both of you, Tim and yourself, believe you have played a role in raising your kids to be acceptant of other races, and all I am saying is that, based on the studies of parental influence on the behaviour of their kids, this can’t be true.  Your older son started with a “genetic program” resulting in “looks white,” and the rest of his life was then shaped by his peers who played a role in shaping his character. The same goes for your younger son. And I understand it’s not easy for kids of mixed races. It wasn’t for Obama either.

My sons don’t dislike either side, because he believes as I do- to hate one over the other is to hate yourself, but peers do have some influence in who they associate with.  For other people, looks has a lot to do with it and so does religious belief.  Even for Obama, part of him being “black enough” had to do with whether he was a believer or an atheist.  Then of course there were white Xians wondering if he was a Muslim or an Xian.  I don’t know what Muslims were thinking or if they even cared.  My point is, demographically religion breaks down into many areas even in the States.  Strangely enough, it seems more European Americans are Episcopalian, Lutheran, Methodist, etc and more African-Americans are AMEC (African Methodist Episcopal Church), Baptist, and alike.  Then there are the Mormons.

Interesting topic.

There are objective differences in the religiosity of different races and ethnic groups, as well as men and women.

It seems that the non -  theist “community”, is reluctant to admit this; the “women in secularism”, “minorities in secularism” conferences, are a good example of this.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 23 November 2012 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02

Well then, I guess when one goes black they don’t go back.  Funny, my second husband was white, but we didn’t have children, and then I dated a Secular Jew.  I’m not sure what you mean by people don’t change, because if that were true, then the saying about going black would be true.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 23 November 2012 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Mriana - 23 November 2012 06:40 PM

Well then, I guess when one goes black they don’t go back.  Funny, my second husband was white, but we didn’t have children, and then I dated a Secular Jew.  I’m not sure what you mean by people don’t change, because if that were true, then the saying about going black would be true.

Despite catchy rhyming, the rhymes don’t make something more or less accurate. Although “If you just too damn white, you must be on the right.”  has some truth to it. (Don’t be offended white people. I made that one up, just now, and I’m causasian, so it’s ok.)

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 23 November 2012 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02
TimB - 23 November 2012 08:45 PM

Despite catchy rhyming, the rhymes don’t make something more or less accurate. Although “If you just too damn white, you must be on the right.”  has some truth to it. (Don’t be offended white people. I made that one up, just now, and I’m causasian, so it’s ok.)

I can’t make up something catchy about being mixed, but I have a hard time believing anyone is pure anything.  I think everyone is as mixed up as a Heinz 57.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 23 November 2012 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Mriana - 23 November 2012 08:50 PM
TimB - 23 November 2012 08:45 PM

I can’t make up something catchy about being mixed, but I have a hard time believing anyone is pure anything.  I think everyone is as mixed up as a Heinz 57.

When we’re all fully mixed, we won’t need to be fixed.  (It rhymes, but is probably only partially correct.)

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2012 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Or how about:  Do a Heinz 57, and you’ll think your in heaven. ?

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2012 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Man!

Good ol’ Al Sharpton’s rhymes ain’t got nothin’ on mines.

Am I on a roll or what?

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2012 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I am 100% Northern European. Although I do share many genes with every other living human—but those genes originated before we separated into the five major races. I also share many genes with a cauliflower and a tulip.

Posted: 23 November 2012 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 23 November 2012 09:37 PM

I am 100% Northern European. Although I do share many genes with every other living human—but those genes originated before we separated into the five major races. I also share many genes with a cauliflower and a tulip.

You share mo’ Afro-man genes, than with turnips or beans.

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2012 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Of course, I am a human after all. But of the genes that are unique to the Negroid race, I have none. Neither do I have any genes that only the Asians, Amerindians, native Australians, Jews or Southern Europeans have.

Posted: 23 November 2012 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 23 November 2012 10:40 PM

Of course, I am a human after all. But of the genes that are unique to the Negroid race, I have none. Neither do I have any genes that only the Asians, Amerindians, native Australians, Jews or Southern Europeans have.

They’s just one human race, but seems you know yo’ place.

Keep ‘em comin’ my brutha, and I’ll give you anotha’.

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2012 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Total Posts:  3154
Joined  2011-08-15

Hmmm, interesting and ironic too. They’re both Northern European plants. Maybe you WERE really born under a cabbage leaf George!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 24 November 2012 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Total Posts:  3154
Joined  2011-08-15

They’s just one human race, but seems you know yo’ place.

Keep ‘em comin’ my brutha, and I’ll give you anotha’.

Leadbelly used to sing a tune like that, “If youse white, salright, if youse brown, stick around, but if youse black, den brutha get back get back get back” .

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

5 of 6