Are Some Religious Reforms Schools Havens For Abuse?
Posted: 14 November 2012 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

Every time someone tells me that a group or person or place doesn’t need to be monitored or regulated because of it’s “religious rights” I want to hit them in the face.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 20 November 2012 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

How terrible. The laws should be changed. No institution - religious or not - should be allowed to operate outside state child-protection laws.

Posted: 20 November 2012 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
dansmith62 - 20 November 2012 06:14 AM

How terrible. The laws should be changed. No institution - religious or not - should be allowed to operate outside state child-protection laws.

Why not? I am sure it’s God’s plan and something good will come out of this. In the meantime, enjoy the great show!

Posted: 20 November 2012 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-11-15
George - 20 November 2012 06:27 AM

Why not? I am sure it’s God’s plan and something good will come out of this. In the meantime, enjoy the great show!

You seem to believe in a God interfering here on Earth. I don’t. I believe in humans having the power to solve their problems.

Posted: 20 November 2012 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dansmith62 - 20 November 2012 07:51 AM
George - 20 November 2012 06:27 AM

You seem to believe in a God interfering here on Earth. I don’t. I believe in humans having the power to solve their problems.

You said you were a theist, not a deist. Make up your mind. But I understand, it must be difficult to be religious and curious at the same time. I really feel sorry for you, Dan. I mean it.

Posted: 20 November 2012 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Come on, George.  LOL  We all, including you and me, have cognitive dissonance in some areas.  And, I don’t see that D.S.-52’s comments disallow a god in his thinking.  It could still not interfere without being a non-conscious force. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 23 November 2012 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-11-15

Here are two great quotes

“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.”

“When all people think alike, no one thinks very much.”

When atheists lose their ability to entertain doubts and be skeptical about their own current way of thinking, they begin to resemble devout believers who think their truth is an absolute truth forever. So give it a try, George. Assume for a moment that being both religious and curious is possible and also easy. Provide arguments for this claim. Afterwards I will have to come up with counter arguments. So you are me and I am you. Up for the challenge?

Posted: 23 November 2012 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Sure, Dan, I love to play games. But I am not so sure I understand the rules. What is it I am supposed to say or do? I already told you were both religious and curious, so I don’t know why I should “assume it for a moment.” As opposed to what?

Posted: 23 November 2012 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

When atheists lose their ability to entertain doubts and be skeptical about their own current way of thinking, they begin to resemble devout believers who think their truth is an absolute truth forever.

You’re conflating and confusing a lack of belief in a god or gods with one’s capacity to think critically. Disbelievers can be every bit as gullible as believers, but a lack of any religious convictions has nothing to do with it.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 26 November 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-11-15
George - 23 November 2012 07:57 AM

Sure, Dan, I love to play games. But I am not so sure I understand the rules. What is it I am supposed to say or do? I already told you were both religious and curious, so I don’t know why I should “assume it for a moment.” As opposed to what?

The game goes like this:

You are me and I am you. So you begin your post like this:

It is not difficult to be religious and curious at the same time, because

Then I begin my post like this:

It is difficult to be religious and curious at the same time, because

Come on. It’s fun.

Posted: 26 November 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Ok. It is not difficult to be religious and curious at the same time, because I am a hypocrite.

Posted: 26 November 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  3351
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 26 November 2012 10:30 AM

Ok. It is not difficult to be religious and curious at the same time, because I am a hypocrite.

This is a strange game.  I assume you realize, that as Dan, you called youself a hypocrite.  You must think that Dan is very forthcoming.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.