1 of 2
The new Confederacy?
Posted: 14 November 2012 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2888
Joined  2011-08-15

In the aftermath of the election wing nuts from 20 states have filed petitions to secede from the Union, totally forgetting that we settled their hash after the Civil War. They site the diminution of good ole American values as their reasons for attempting to leave. They should reread the preamble to the constitution. You know, the one they want to adhere to to the letter. Think we have to worry?

http://www.happyplace.com/19221/secessionists-cant-even-spell-secede

I don’t think so.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 November 2012 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  374
Joined  2012-02-02

I like the suggestion that everyone who signed those petitions should be deported, but I don’t think any nation would be dumb enough to take them off our hands.

Posted: 14 November 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

We have a few tens of thousands of crackpots in some states signing a useless online petition and getting all sorts of unwarranted attention. My father emailed me yesterday and said my stepmother told him she heard on the news that Texas wants to secede from the U.S. Musta been Faux News.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 14 November 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

How about paying the transportation costs of each of the signers of the petitions to ship them all to, say, Louisiana while similarly subsidizing all the Louisiana citizens who didn’t sign to other states?  Then let them have their own country, but without any foreign aid from the U.S.  I’ll bet 95% of those who signed the petitions wouldn’t be willing to move to this seperate country that didn’t have the “horrible” government they see the U.S. as having.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 14 November 2012 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

We have a few tens of thousands of crackpots in some states signing a useless online petition and getting all sorts of unwarranted attention. My father emailed me yesterday and said my stepmother told him she heard on the news that Texas wants to secede from the U.S. Musta been Faux News.

I agree, but it has hit the media and it realllly makes the southern states look backward leaning by spewing sour grapes. Pairing this incident up with Romney’s contention that Obama won the African-American and college vote by handing out free medical care and condoms to college women gives the impression that the reps. Are looking for a scapegoat to justify their loss. Still livin’ in the bubble.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 November 2012 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Can’t let ‘em have Louisiana; too many refineries. They’ll get rich selling oil and heating the planet further. How about Utah?

Edit: Someone started a petition to keep Austin in the U.S. if Texas secedes. I signed it. We should also include San Antonio for two reasons: San Antonio voted for Obama and we we’ll get to keep the 85 mph toll road.

[ Edited: 14 November 2012 08:01 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 14 November 2012 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

The New Confederacy would soon have enough Hispanics to keep electing Liberals anyways. So what’s the problem?  cheese

Posted: 14 November 2012 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

I don’t see the problem.

Balkanization would be a good thing.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 15 November 2012 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

It’s more than the South.  Michigan, New York, Indiana, and New Jersey have these petitions too.  What I don’t get is why the media’s reporting this so much this time around.  These people start screaming about secession every time a Democrat gets elected.  Hell, some of them carry on about it when the wrong Republican gets elected.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 15 November 2012 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

IDK Mike, it wasn’t so good for the Balkans. They’re still having problems! Ex. Greece. Check the new nationalist movement there. And remember the failed 2nd Confederacy here. England and France did all they could to help us Balkanize. Even Russia came sniffing around and Napoleon invaded Mexico. Probably not a good idea. What about shipping them all to Wyoming? Lots of land and few of those unsightful liberals, just cowboys.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 November 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

We could always just ship them all off to Chile with this guy.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 15 November 2012 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-07-25

We will take them all in Canada….we are really into cry-baby whiners. Especially the ones with a feeling of entitlement.

Posted: 15 November 2012 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

We could always just ship them all off to Chile with this guy.

Once again, already been done. After the war 10,000 ex confeds moved en masse to Brazil, founded a colony and became known as the confderados. Sooo, disgruntled secessionists there’s your haven, now go live there! Oh, and an entire confed. army entered Mexico and worked for a time with the French under Maxmillian.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 November 2012 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

OK, Darron, how about Alabama?  The problem with Utah is that it would be surrounded by the U.S. so other countries couldn’t invade and conquer it the way they could one with access to the ocean. smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 November 2012 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Occam. - 15 November 2012 06:14 PM

OK, Darron, how about Alabama?  The problem with Utah is that it would be surrounded by the U.S. so other countries couldn’t invade and conquer it the way they could one with access to the ocean. smile

Occam

I hadn’t thought of Alabama. Perfect!

Signature 

Posted: 15 November 2012 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Nope! Then they would control the Redstone arsenal and NASA would be SOL! Besides, Huntsville would be to progressive for them, too many science types.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

1 of 2