4 of 4
our electoral system: fair or not
Posted: 30 November 2012 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3328
Joined  2011-11-04
Lois - 30 November 2012 12:28 PM
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 16 November 2012 08:26 PM

The Electoral Collage is the worst of all possible systems…except for all the others!

(I don’t like much of anything about it, but I think it behooves us to be careful what we ask for when proposing an alternative. We might get it and end up not liking it.)

True, but we already have a system we don’t like, so what’s the difference?  We’ve elected presidents through the electoral college for 236 years, so far.  Why not trade it for a majority of the popular vote for the next 236 years, then we could revisit? Fair’s fair.

I would not oppose such a change.  I think that it would lead to great changes as to how presidential eletion campaigns proceed.  However, it seems to me to be a moot point, since the change would require a Constitutional amendment which requires 3/4 of the States to agee to pass. (Such a system would be percieved as less advantageous, than the current one, I think, for more than 1/4 of the States.)

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

4 of 4