Hubble May Have Spotted Most Distant Object Yet
Posted: 16 November 2012 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

Hubble has spotted an object which, if the calculations hold up, may be 13.3 billion light years away.  Yup.  You read that right.  That’s so far away and so damn old that the universe was only 420 million years old.  Wow.

Take that God!

EDIT
Fixed a typo.
Crap, had to fix another one.  Shame on me.

[ Edited: 16 November 2012 07:30 PM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 16 November 2012 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

But, but , but…

Teh universe is only 6,000 light years old!

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 16 November 2012 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2011-08-15

Now according to bishop Ussher it’s only 6,000 YEARS old because it revolves around the Earth.. We’re gettin’ closer big G. Oh, I forgot, he’s outside of the universe. Never mind.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 17 November 2012 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  6162
Joined  2009-02-26
DarronS - 16 November 2012 07:22 PM

But, but , but…

Teh universe is only 6,000 light years old!

Perhaps that older object was a glimpse of heaven where god dwells…..obviously it must have existed before our 6000 (light) year old universe was created!

A worthy creationist argument….. cheese

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 17 November 2012 04:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4573
Joined  2007-08-31
Write4U - 17 November 2012 02:10 AM

Perhaps that older object was a glimpse of heaven where god dwells…..obviously it must have existed before our 6000 (light) year old universe was created!

Sounds like ‘the discovery of heaven’.

Scientifically he is on the verge of making a major astronomical discovery. When he discovers heaven (located beyond the Big Bang in negative space), he is killed by a freak meteoroid, sent from heaven by Angel.

Let’s see what happens with th’m astronomers…

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 17 November 2012 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

BTW, I love the subheads Phil Plait used in the article, and finding something so old is way cool.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 18 November 2012 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  6162
Joined  2009-02-26

Yes, it’s astounding that we are able to see that far back in time.  Just ran across this excellent interactive presentation. It really offers a feel of universal distances.

http://www.numbersleuth.org/universe/

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 18 November 2012 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3328
Joined  2011-11-04

13.3 billion years… hmm… I wonder if they could be able to view Larry King’s early years.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 19 November 2012 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4573
Joined  2007-08-31
Write4U - 18 November 2012 02:49 AM

Yes, it’s astounding that we are able to see that far back in time.  Just ran across this excellent interactive presentation. It really offers a feel of universal distances.

http://www.numbersleuth.org/universe/

Great applet. But I think it has an error: the text says that VY Canis Majoris is as big as the orbit of Jupiter. But the star is pictured smaller than Jupiter’s orbit.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 20 November 2012 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

The object in question—called MACS0647-JD—is the red blob in the inset. If the calculations hold out, that gloppy looking thing may be at the mind-crushing distance of almost 13.3 billion light years. The light we see from it started on its way when the universe itself was only 420 million years old.

I was gonna try to come up with some wise ass remark of my own, but reading that article sobered me up.  Pretty interesting stuff.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 20 December 2012 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-12-16

what the hubble telescope imaged at 13.3 billion light years does not exist anymore. Its an illusion. We dont know what is in that region NOW. In 13.3 billion years we will know what that region looks like now. But we wont be around in 13.3 billion years. So the question remains what, if anything, exist there now. Or really what exactly are we seeing when we look at that image. Any ideas?

Posted: 20 December 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

What we see is what ws there 13.3 billion years ago. It is not an illusion, it is our reality. What is in that region now is irrelevant to our reality because it can have no effect upon us. If it cannot move a meter it does not matter.

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2012 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-12-16

thank you that clarifies it