Unitarian Universalist Church
Posted: 20 November 2012 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2011-11-06

As an atheist, I am interested in the Unitarian Universalist Church. If you are unfamiliar, please check out their beliefs on their official site: http://www.uua.org/

I wanted to know if anyone here attends a UU church?

Also, I am 26 and have found that most UU churches, despite their liberal views, consist mainly of a crowd that that seem to be 50+ in terms of age. Has anyone else made this observation?

Posted: 20 November 2012 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14

I think Occam has been to some UU meetings. My understanding, limited though it is, is that it depends on the congregation as to how theistic or deistic they are. But yes, that’s one of several options of religious or quasi-religious groups for atheists and agnostics. Others would be things like the Ethical Culture Society, Reform Judaism (for Jews), or various forms of Buddhism.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 November 2012 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5500
Joined  2010-06-16

I belonged to the local UU church from about 1969 to about ten years ago, served on the Board three times, was the chair of most of their committees at one time or another.  And Doug is right; they vary widely.  Some are mostly atheistic; some are cryptochristian; some are very accepting of gays, transgenders, etc.; some discourage gays from becoming active.  The Unitarians were mostly young non-theistic people in the 50s and 60s, but as the Universalists took over the ministers became more religious and they didn’t attract as many new members as they had, so the ones who are still there are now much older.  At one time we had a transgender church administrator and now they have a gay one.

I suggest you check out all of the ones within driving distance of yourself, and find the one with, a) the youngest minister, b) the most liberal congregation, c) a decent ratio of younger members.  Too bad you weren’t around in the 60’s and 70s.  You would have loved it.

Oh, I just remembered.  Check out their seven principles.  They’re pretty good except for the third one which I think is rather crappy (modified in the 80s by a more theistic General Assembly).

Occam

[ Edited: 20 November 2012 06:53 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 21 November 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  690
Joined  2012-04-25

I attended just one UU meeting years ago in college, so my opinion is very limited. Never went back. It struck me as a group of people who wanted all the christ/church-talk without putting the name Jesus front and center. Very dishonest in my opinion and made me think there was alot of weird psychological aspects going on in the peoples minds. But they were certainly nice enough and not pushy, so that was a positive.