1 of 2
Pope Claims the Star of Bethlehem Was a Supernova
Posted: 24 November 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-02-02

That and other things are in his latest book.

The star of Bethlehem was a supernova, the one that German astronomer Johanes Kepler said happened around 7 to 6 B.C. According to Popestronomer Benedict, that’s when the baby Jesus came to this mortal world.
The birth of Jesus is a historic reality.
Jesus probably wasn’t born in Bethlehem. It was perhaps in Nazareth.
There were no ox or donkey in that place. That’s just dumb, says the Pope!
The Virgin was actually a virgin. That’s not dumb, says the Pope! “Is it true what we said that Jesus Christ is the only son of God and that He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born from the Virgin Mary?” he asks. “The answer, without any reservations, is yes.” And that’s it. His reasoning is that, if God was able to do it because he has full power over matter. Real power, not like that Higgs Boson impostor. “If he doesn’t have full power over all energy and matter,” the Pope points out, “then he’s not God.” Of course.
Astrology is stupid, the Pope says. It’s baby who guides the star, not the star that guides the kid.

I wonder if the Pope realizes that it’s actually possible to test the supernova claim.

In 1572, a “new star” appeared in the sky which stunned astronomers and exploded ancient theories of the universe.

Now the supernova recorded by Tycho Brahe has been glimpsed again, by Max Planck Institute scientists.

They used telescopes in Hawaii and Spain to capture faint light echoes of the original explosion, reflected by interstellar dust.

This “fossil imprint” of Tycho’s famous supernova is reported in Nature.

Posted: 24 November 2012 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2632
Joined  2011-04-24

I wonder if the Pope is familiar with the old Arthur C. Clarke short story The Star?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_(short_story)

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 24 November 2012 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
mid atlantic - 24 November 2012 02:01 PM

I wonder if the Pope is familiar with the old Arthur C. Clarke short story The Star?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_(short_story)

That was a good story. I have long thought that if there is a god, it is one who holds irony most dear.

BTW, does anyone else think that Pope Benedict looks like a supervillain? IMO, he some really creepy looking eyes.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 24 November 2012 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14
TimB - 24 November 2012 02:19 PM

BTW, does anyone else think that Pope Benedict looks like a supervillain? IMO, he some really creepy looking eyes.

You mean:

SithPope.jpg

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 24 November 2012 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3057
Joined  2011-08-15

Spoiler alert! The pope was a nazi.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 24 November 2012 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Doug, you have a sense of humor!?!  That was a good one.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 24 November 2012 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14
TimB - 24 November 2012 03:24 PM

Doug, you have a sense of humor!?!

Who, me?

smile

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 25 November 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 24 November 2012 03:40 PM
TimB - 24 November 2012 03:24 PM

Doug, you have a sense of humor!?!

Who, me?

smile

LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 November 2012 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
dougsmith - 24 November 2012 02:30 PM
TimB - 24 November 2012 02:19 PM

You mean:

SithPope.jpg

LL. Hmm, separated at birth, perhaps?

Posted: 25 November 2012 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Perhaps long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away.  But I didn’t know Benedict was that old.

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2012 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

No Luke, I am Il Papa grrr

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 25 November 2012 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I wonder if the Pope realizes that it’s actually possible to test the supernova claim.

I wonder if the Pope realizes a supernova is not a supernatural event?

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 26 November 2012 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

I’m a German Protestant.

I don’t like the current Pope.

I disagree with most of his views.

Many Catholics disagree with many of his views as well.

Germans find all Nazi comparisons extremely offensive, including the one made above. It’s like calling African-Americans niggers.

I wonder if atheists realize that the Vatican employs astrophysicists whose research includes the validation and application of the seven-filter Stromvil system for classifying stars in clusters in the Milky Way, the identification and cataloguing of spectrally peculiar stars and the measurement of meteorite physical properties such as density, porosity, magnetic and thermal characteristics.

http://www.vaticanobservatory.org/VOF/index.php/explore-our-work/current-research

Posted: 26 November 2012 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-02-02

I was wondering when someone would bring the Vatican Observatory up.

Posted: 26 November 2012 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Many Catholics disagree with many of his views as well.

Germans find all Nazi comparisons extremely offensive, including the one made above. It’s like calling African-Americans niggers.

No it isn’t, nor was it meant to be. I said the pope was a nazi not all Germans. Yes there is a growing nationalist movement in Germany but it’s still small enough to regulate and it’s mainly a knee jerk reaction to immigrants. And Benedict was a member of the Hitler jungend. I also know that he isn’t now . My comment was meant to be facetious and not an ethnic slam. I don’t know any Germans who relate in any way to the third reich, especially the kids. They’d like to forget that period in history but their teachers won’t let them. And your reference to African-Americans won’t wash. Germans don’t call themselves nazis as a cultural epithet.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 26 November 2012 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Whether offensive or not, saying that Pope Benedict was a Nazi, is probably only loosely technically correct, at best.  What I know for sure is that he looks like a supervillain.

Signature 

1 of 2