My campus is becoming increasingly religious. Where are the skeptics?
Posted: 24 November 2012 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-11-24

I go to the University of Toronto at Mississauga. For those of you that don’t know, the campus is increasingly becoming more and more fundamentalist Muslim. Most women here wear the hijab, and many young Muslims grow beards. Participation in the local Muslim Student Association’s events is ridiculously high, while the Mississauga Freethought Association’s events are lucky to have 3 attendees. What on earth is going on here and what can people do to reverse it? I grew up in Saudi Arabia, and I’ve seen what happens to people as they become more and more fundamentalist and closed minded. Its dangerous and scary.

Posted: 26 November 2012 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

Yes, it is dangerous and scary. But it is the result of buying oil from Saudi Arabia. The clergy of Saudi Arabia pour vast amounts of money into Muslim communities around the world.

What can we do? It’s difficult. The world’s hunger for oil will not end any time soon.

The Saudi Arabian version of Islam is basically a form of theocratic fascism. Many of their goals are in violation of the Canadian constitution and laws. I think the only feasible approach is the recruitment of undercover police agents infiltrating the Muslims’ organizations. But those agents need excellent knowledge of fundamentalist Islam.

Posted: 26 November 2012 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Diem1 - 24 November 2012 03:21 PM

I go to the University of Toronto at Mississauga. For those of you that don’t know, the campus is increasingly becoming more and more fundamentalist Muslim. Most women here wear the hijab, and many young Muslims grow beards. Participation in the local Muslim Student Association’s events is ridiculously high, while the Mississauga Freethought Association’s events are lucky to have 3 attendees. What on earth is going on here and what can people do to reverse it? I grew up in Saudi Arabia, and I’ve seen what happens to people as they become more and more fundamentalist and closed minded. Its dangerous and scary.

It’s not a UofT problem, it’s a GTA problem. Finish your studies and move to Oakville or Burlington.

Posted: 26 November 2012 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-11-24
George - 26 November 2012 11:35 AM

It’s not a UofT problem, it’s a GTA problem. Finish your studies and move to Oakville or Burlington.

Thats not a constructive idea. The trend is very reversible, I see young Muslims trying to escape their shackles and embrace liberalism everyday, but theres no support network. I was raised Muslim and I had to find my own way out of the theocratic mess that the religion is. There needs to be active counter-apologetics, but with little funding and will power from the secular community, its not going to happen.

Posted: 26 November 2012 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Well, good luck with that.

Posted: 10 December 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

Here in Saskatoon, they seem to be cramping down on anything related to skepticism too. I mentioned elsewhere that all the stores have withdrawn philosophy/science sections. At Coles, I asked why and the worker just said that those materials don’t sell. She also said that the same is true now of Rand McNally and Indigo. It’s shocking to me. Self-help, pop-psychology is increased as is the religion sections. Population-wise, the stats are claiming that only a few thousand new immigrants have moved to Saskatoon in the last few years but something isn’t right. I live in an apartment complex that originally had a high majority of European Caucasians and only in two years, only myself and two or three others are non-recent immigrants. Nobody around me speaks English anywhere I go now. Although there are a few different new race variations, they are vastly Muslim!! Our cab drivers were all mixed race before. Now they too are virtually 100% Muslim too! 

I welcome the increase when it helps to boost the bus use here since I’m hoping they increase the route currency. But I don’t welcome the new population with respect to our Multiculturalist concepts. Here, our laws encourage closed communities and special allowances for religious laws to be recognized in the court based on their cultural heritage. Our rents too have skyrocketed from an average of $500/mth for two a two-bedroom suite to an average of $1300/mth!

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 11 December 2012 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-12-11

Maybe CFI and/or UTSA (University of Toronto Secular Association, St. George) can help? We could get speakers to visit the Mississauga campus.

Posted: 11 December 2012 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Larry Moran - 11 December 2012 08:16 AM

Maybe CFI and/or UTSA (University of Toronto Secular Association, St. George) can help? We could get speakers to visit the Mississauga campus.

It will probably end up being as effective as spreading our way of thinking in the Middle East.

Posted: 18 December 2012 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-11-21

Today, the news just updated the stats on the true nature of our immigration growth: 23,000 people in Saskatchewan, this year alone, mostly to Saskatoon! Wow! I knew it couldn’t have been a measly few thousand that they originally reported.

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 18 June 2013 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-11-21

Since my last post here, I’ve discovered that we do have a CFI group here in Saskatoon through the Meetups site and have been to a few meetings since Darwin’s birthday. In fact, there are three groups all affiliated. One is the CFI Saskatoon, another is University of Saskatchewan Freethinkers Alliance and Skeptics.

Oh,...and with the increased immigration situation? Although it’s causing great issues for renting, I’m finding that I like more of these newcomers than our regular homesteaders as they tend to come from mostly larger cosmopolitan populations and tend to have a larger percentage of more open-minded people. It’s also a relief that you find others who struggle. I have a feeling that the Multicultural policies will backfire on our government because the children’s generations of immigrants don’t favor it either. They want to belong and create their own choices over their parent’s wishes to preserve cultural isolation.

Signature 

Posted: 18 June 2013 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27

You have two choices, fight it or move to another university.  The one choice you shouldn’t make is to stay,roll over and play dead.

Lois

Posted: 18 June 2013 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2013-06-01

Scott Mayers Post #5
Our cab drivers were all mixed race before. Now they too are virtually 100% Muslim too!

Canada seems to have an open door policy to Asia.

Driving to Seattle a few years ago I thought I’d listen to the truckers on the CB. Could not understand a word they were saying. Stopped at a truck stop to gas up and I ask a trucker what was going on with the CB. He said since the US allowed the open road policy with Canada the CB was taken over by the Canadian truckers from India.

I was doing research on Avaris, Egypt. In the internet search an Avaris, India would come up. Avaris, India was claiming that the town of 20,000 lost half of its population to Canada.   
Mike

Posted: 15 August 2013 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2012-09-14

Depends a lot on where these Muslims are from.

Example:
A muslim who has just come from Egypt will have different views then those say raised in China (Known as the Hui).

If you want to understand the background of each person.  Here is an interesting video which helps explain this a little bit.

http://vimeo.com/14121737

It is based on a Pew Gallup study done in 35 Muslim countries.

Signature 

Say: He is God, the Unique.
God, the Self-Sufficient.
He does not give birth, nor was He born.
And there is none equal to Him.

Quran (112: 1-4)

Posted: 15 August 2013 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2012-09-14

Just to clarify, that is only to learn aboutMuslim mentality.

Religion itself may be different than that.

To see what I mean, see (funny and brief)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cmvCkZxpb8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3w_v0aEX38

Signature 

Posted: 15 August 2013 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2012-09-14

Studying religion requires more academic study.

onislam.net     website edited by a number of scholars
suhaibwebb.com   website of scholar who studied in Egypt for a few years. The website won Brass Crescent’s best “Blog of the Year” award in 2009.
loonwatch.com   a media-critical website that won the Brass Crescent award in 2010 and 2011

[ Edited: 15 August 2013 04:44 PM by I.J. Abdul Hakeem ]
 Signature 

Posted: 15 August 2013 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2012-09-14

For those of you that don’t know, the campus is increasingly becoming more and more fundamentalist Muslim. Most women here wear the hijab, and many young Muslims grow beards.

Just to go off topic for a second.
I wanted to bring up this interesting (and funny) video of how to identify an extremist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5er_9Uax-Q  First 3 min

[ Edited: 15 August 2013 04:48 PM by I.J. Abdul Hakeem ]
 Signature