1 of 2
HELLO YOU ALL!
Posted: 25 November 2012 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2012-11-25

Hi, guys.

Well, i don’t know if someone here’s from Brazil, but let me introduce myself first.
My name is Nathalia, i’m a brazilian 18 girl. I’m a biology student on a local college.
I hope we can hav a amazing discussion and, who knows, make friendships.

Thanks yall.

Kisses

Signature 

“No creo en brujas, pero que las hay, las hay.”

Posted: 25 November 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome to CFI Forum, Nathalia.  Glad to have you here.  I think there is at least one other Brazilian here, but I’m not sure.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 25 November 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-25
Mriana - 25 November 2012 12:35 PM

Welcome to CFI Forum, Nathalia.  Glad to have you here.  I think there is at least one other Brazilian here, but I’m not sure.

Thank you!!!!

Maybe yes, i hav read some “latin” expressions trough the topics hahahah

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2012 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
Nathalia.br - 25 November 2012 12:24 PM

Hi, guys.

Well, i don’t know if someone here’s from Brazil, but let me introduce myself first.
My name is Nathalia, i’m a brazilian 18 girl. I’m a biology student on a local college.

Thanks yall.

Kisses

Your signature line: “No creo en brujas, pero que las hay, las hay.”  Does that translate to “I don’t believe in witches, but they are what they are”?  Also, isn’t that Spanish, rather than Portuguese?

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 25 November 2012 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I believe Portuguese and Spanish, while both Romance languages, are definitely separate.  However, one who speaks one of the languages can usually understand most of another.  For example, I was surprised as a kid, when we went to Mexico, and my mother, who spoke French fluently, had no problem communcating with those who were speaking Spanish.

Anyway, welcome Nathalia.  I’m looking forward to your ideas in the various forums here.

Occam

[ Edited: 25 November 2012 03:55 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 26 November 2012 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

Welcome Nathalia. We could use some younger ideas around here. Look forward to your posts.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 26 November 2012 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
DarronS - 26 November 2012 06:21 PM

Welcome Nathalia. We could use some younger ideas around here. Look forward to your posts.

Hey just because I am old doesn’t mean that some of my ideas can’t be relatively young.  But I agree that greater age diversity on the forum would be nice.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 27 November 2012 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I also think having different approaches to our discussions from people from countries outside the U.S., and more views from women can make the forum more diverse and challenging.  Welcome again, Nathalia.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 27 November 2012 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

Hey just because I am old doesn’t mean that some of my ideas can’t be relatively young.  But I agree that greater age diversity on the forum would be nice.

Old???? Damn Tim, I put you in your late 20’s or early 30’s. We need Skype.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 27 November 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 27 November 2012 11:44 AM

Old???? Damn Tim, I put you in your late 20’s or early 30’s. We need Skype.

Cap’t Jack

I imagine that your idealized vision of me is preferable to what Skype would reveal.

Signature 

Posted: 27 November 2012 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I imagine that your idealized vision of me is preferable to what Skype would reveal.

Not at all. Me on the other Hand, well I look a lot like my avatar, except the teeth, that I’m losing.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 27 November 2012 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 27 November 2012 01:05 PM

Not at all. Me on the other Hand, well I look a lot like my avatar, except the teeth, that I’m losing.

Cap’t Jack

Ouch! Those look like some big wisdom teeth. smile

Signature 

Posted: 27 November 2012 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Yeah, and they’re about 20 grand apiece. Mammoth ivory be expensive. I use pieces of it for scrimshaw.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 27 November 2012 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 27 November 2012 03:15 PM

Yeah, and they’re about 20 grand apiece. Mammoth ivory be expensive. I use pieces of it for scrimshaw.

Cap’t Jack

Scrimshaw.  So are you an artist or an artisan?

Signature 

Posted: 27 November 2012 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Nope, just a a scribbler. I recreate the patterns from original teeth from the 1820’s to the 1860’s with my own twist. I use the same method the sailors used and etch in the design, then fill it in with ink. They brushed off the excess with sharkskin but I use a light sandpaper and steel wool. I also use original line drawings from 18th books. I just do it for kicks and giggles and it’s historic. Keeps my mind occupied too! I like detail. BTW the oldest tooth (sperm whale) found is on display in the Peabody-Essex museum in Salem, Mass. I took a lot of pictures!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 27 November 2012 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-25
TimB - 25 November 2012 01:52 PM
Nathalia.br - 25 November 2012 12:24 PM

Hi, guys.

Thanks yall.

Kisses

Your signature line: “No creo en brujas, pero que las hay, las hay.”  Does that translate to “I don’t believe in witches, but they are what they are”?  Also, isn’t that Spanish, rather than Portuguese?

Yep, it’s Spanish. I like this phrase so much. In fact it means something like this you’ve wrote, but i don’t think if it’s the same. In portuguese, we say “Eu não acredito em bruxas, mas que elas existem, existem.”

Signature 

1 of 2