Life Found In Lake Vida
Posted: 27 November 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

Lake Vida is one of the numerous lakes crushed beneath the Antarctic ice sheet.  And there’s life in it.  Microbial life, but life all the same.  And sure, the lake’s only about 60 feet under the ice, (unlike lake Vostok which is 13,000 feet under the ice) but it’s still impressive.  The lake is super salty, devoid of light and oxygen, and cold enough to freeze sea water and still something lives in it.

EDIT
Additions

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3075
Joined  2011-11-04

Let’s take some of those critters along when we visit Jupiter’s moon, Europa.  If there’s no life already there, we can introduce them.  Then in a few hundred million years they may evolve into sentient neighbors.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 27 November 2012 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3163
Joined  2011-08-15

What blows me away about the finding is that microbial life can thrive despite this extremely hostile environment. I mean no oxygen, no light, acidic water and extreme cold? Makes you wonder about Mars. Is here life hiding just under the surface of that basaltic rock?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 27 November 2012 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  2009-02-26

Kinda negates the “fine-tuned” argument, IMO. Wherever we look on earth we find life.  As far as I can tell we have now identified life in areas with completely different chemistry and temperature differences in the hundreds of degrees.
As long as there is any kind of tuning going on, seems that eventually matter itself will develop aspects which might be analogues to actual living structures.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 28 November 2012 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4301
Joined  2010-08-15
Write4U - 27 November 2012 04:46 PM

Kinda negates the “fine-tuned” argument, IMO. Wherever we look on earth we find life.  As far as I can tell we have now identified life in areas with completely different chemistry and temperature differences in the hundreds of degrees.
As long as there is any kind of tuning going on, seems that eventually matter itself will develop aspects which might be analogues to actual living structures.

The fine tuning comes in when you wanna make those cells organize into slime,
and then, the real fine tuning starts,
getting that slime to crawl and think.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 29 November 2012 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Kinda negates the “fine-tuned” argument, IMO.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Just another nail in the coffin of Intelligent Design.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 29 November 2012 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Now if only we could get people to shut up about it we could start shoveling on the dirt.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron