We’re fighting crazy people on global warming
Posted: 30 November 2012 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4726
Joined  2007-10-05

Not using fossil fuels insults God

Leaving fossil fuels in the ground insults God? God wants us to destroy our environment? Dominionists are dangerous.

Edit: fixed typo in title

[ Edited: 30 November 2012 09:23 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 30 November 2012 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2634
Joined  2011-04-24

Yeah, total disconnect from reality. What sacks of crap they are.

It’s depressing to realize these people are in positions of authority.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 30 November 2012 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

These religious right leaders are not even pretending to argue about whether AGW is real.  They are going straight to their main message, which is AGW promoters are evil.  They have passed the line from which rational thought has any real bearing, and want their followers to do so also. I really don’t know where to go with these folk, except, perhaps, to massively publicize their ravings and subject them to public ridicule.  We believe that they are crazy. They believe that we are evil. 

The right wing watch site, that you linked to, has so many similarly outlandish stories.  The division between “them” and “us” has become so extreme, that I think that the only thing impeding outright civil war is the vast apathetic majority acting as a buffer between the two sides.  If they continue to win over more persons who believe we are evil, and we continue to win converts to the perspective that they are dangerously crazy, that buffer of the apathetic will decrease. Then, at some point, I think that some level of outright civil war is likely.  And that is not good for people or other living things. It would be ironic if the first African American President presided over the next U.S. civil war, but it is starting to look like a possibility, to me, sad to say.  If the Republicans don’t start electing moderates again, very soon, we may all be in trouble.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 01 December 2012 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

The more that I think about it, it may be that the best way to directly interact with religious deniers of AGW, at least on a personal level, may be to avoid, altogether, any logical or science based argument, and simply focus on saying things that make it difficult for them to identify us as evil.  They will probably still view us as sinful, but due to being deluded, rather than to being evil.  Thus we would more likely get their pity, rather than their scornful animosity.  (Which is a baby step in the right direction, if we wish to avoid, ultimately, violent confrontation.)

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 01 December 2012 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Or maybe we should continue arguing vociferously with them, anyway we want, but, at the same time, avoid demonizing them… And try to make them feel bad (but not scared) when they demonize us.  (Conservatives just get more intransigent when they’re scared.)

Signature 

Posted: 01 December 2012 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4726
Joined  2007-10-05

Logic won’t work on people such as these two. I’m pretty sure nothing will get them to think about their positions. They’re so far gone there is no reaching them, but we can reach some of their followers. I like ridicule, but that may not be effective.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe