2 of 2
The computer thinks this might be spam, so it was discarded. (Merged)
Posted: 04 December 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14
Thevillageatheist - 04 December 2012 04:45 PM

Thanks Doug and I read the previous posts as well but my problem is in, this sounds stupid, trying to figure out what a spammy word is. And I didn’t have a link attached. And while I have your attention, how do you use the word “here” instead of posting the whole link? Thanks.

Sorry to say, I haven’t much on offer about what constitutes a spammy word. It would presumably be the sort of word you would find in spam, i.e. selling something like pharmaceuticals.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the black box, so you may have to do some trial and error.

You use the word “HERE” by posting with the modified HTML tags that this program uses: I will put in spaces so that this doesn’t automatically format itself. [ url = ht tp:// www. blablabla. com ] HERE [/ url ]

The black box will take “www. blablabla. com” and compare it to its list of spam URLs. If it fits, the message will be considered spam (This may not be a problem with that site in general; a single computer at their URL may be compromised and sending out spams. Who knows?) If you use a URL shortener this URL will come out in changed (shorter) form and the spam catcher won’t be able to recognize it.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 December 2012 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3191
Joined  2011-08-15

Thanks again Doug. I’ll do some trial and error posts just for practice. Actually my blocked post was a response to George and I didn’t mention anything that might be misconstrued as a product. Oh, and the last couple of times I was blocked I waited a couple of minutes, posted again and it went through. Strange.

Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 December 2012 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Thevillageatheist - 04 December 2012 08:33 PM

Thanks again Doug. I’ll do some trial and error posts just for practice. Actually my blocked post was a response to George and I didn’t mention anything that might be misconstrued as a product. Oh, and the last couple of times I was blocked I waited a couple of minutes, posted again and it went through. Strange.

It’s possible that it will only allow a certain number of posts-per-minute. Some spammers like to come in and post ten times in quick succession, then leave. They don’t want to bother spending several minutes waiting, since time is money to them.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 09 January 2013 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-12-03

What does CFI consider spam in posts? I get spam warnings about my posts when there is no spam that I’m aware of.

Signature 

Believe nothing you hear, and only half what you see. Anonymous

Posted: 09 January 2013 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
garyjones - 09 January 2013 11:51 AM

What does CFI consider spam in posts? I get spam warnings about my posts when there is no spam that I’m aware of.

If you read this thread, gary, you will see the sorts of problems we have regarding spam.

Short answer: it’s not CFI that is doing the considering here, it’s an industry-standard spam-catcher that we have installed in this software. It’s a black box to me and to the tech folks who do our back-end work.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 19 April 2013 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

I am trying to post a reply and keep getting this message:

The form you submitted contained the following errors
Computer says your input might be spam, so it was discarded.
Return to Previous Page

What’s going on?

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 19 April 2013 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
garythehuman - 19 April 2013 07:42 AM

I am trying to post a reply and keep getting this message:

The form you submitted contained the following errors
Computer says your input might be spam, so it was discarded.
Return to Previous Page

What’s going on?

Gary, read the rest of this thread. AFAIK nothing has changed.

I know it can be bizarre how this spam filter works. It may key off of links you embed in the message, or words you are using. It’s nothing personal, I assure you.

smile

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 15 August 2013 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2010-07-01

I’m not sure what discount CFI is getting for using this forum format (if not free), but the spam filter is completely out of control. I could imagine that if it’s a new account, that first 40 posts would not allow URL links, but CFI blocks people who have been around since the near beginning the same as it would anyone who had just set up an account. How is anything suppose to be topical if you can’t even point out a link?

Posted: 15 August 2013 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  4538
Joined  2007-08-31

I’ve got used to tricks, like omitting the ‘http://’, or even leave out a ‘w’ of ‘www’ or both. With little trying, I mostly succeed in pointing to the link I want.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 15 August 2013 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2010-07-01
GdB - 15 August 2013 01:22 AM

I’ve got used to tricks, like omitting the ‘http://’, or even leave out a ‘w’ of ‘www’ or both. With little trying, I mostly succeed in pointing to the link I want.

Thanks GdB for the help. I’ve been at my wits end trying to figure out how to prevent the system from deleting all my posts.

Posted: 15 August 2013 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
ExMachina - 15 August 2013 12:23 AM

I’m not sure what discount CFI is getting for using this forum format (if not free), but the spam filter is completely out of control. I could imagine that if it’s a new account, that first 40 posts would not allow URL links, but CFI blocks people who have been around since the near beginning the same as it would anyone who had just set up an account. How is anything suppose to be topical if you can’t even point out a link?

I don’t think the filter makes any distinction depending on how long one’s account has been active, nor on how many posts one has made. It just runs some algorithm on the content of the post. (At least, that’s what I have to assume).

We have had a LOT of trouble with spam here in the past; it still hasn’t gone away even with the filters, but at least is more manageable now.

If you have a problem with a post, try one of GdB’s tricks or use a URL shortener like bit.ly. Can’t guarantee they’ll work, but at least they are more likely.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 15 August 2013 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
ExMachina - 15 August 2013 02:08 AM
GdB - 15 August 2013 01:22 AM

Thanks GdB for the help. I’ve been at my wits end trying to figure out how to prevent the system from deleting all my posts.

This one got through, as did GdB’s even though they both contained “Http://” and “www.”. Maybe you’re emitting bad vibes. wink

Posted: 15 August 2013 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Hey, ExMachina, this program was supplied for free and it’s worth every penny.  LOL  (_e=mc2_)  [symbol for smart ass]

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 25 November 2013 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

Disregard; it posted once I got rid of Goggle.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

2 of 2