3 of 12
It’s dangerous to be young in the US
Posted: 08 December 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

macgyver - 08 December 2012 07:00 AM
The point you were making was that firearm ownership buys us greater freedoms so to assert that firearm ownership is also an example of our greater freedom is circular reasoning.

That’s not what I said, quite the opposite… There you interpreted me wrong.

On this issue pertaining to Switzerland, a citizen is required to own military firearms, as all male citizens are automatically drafted into the army (militia) and must retain their weapons at home. When the citizen is discharged He may keep the weapon but it is altered to a semiautomatic condition. Also, the government controls the ammunition supply for these guns. This is where the laws differ from ours, but one can own a weapon in Switzerland by obtaining a permit. Also, the laws for black powder gun ownership are similar to the US. These are referred to as “free weapons” as the laws pertaining to them are not as strict. This policy seems to mirror English law BTW. remarkably, the crime rate involving firearms is very low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 08 December 2012 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

And this from the gun laws of your home country: the Netherlands

Aspiring sport shooters must join a gun club. Application for gun club membership involves a trial period, allowing the club to find out who they are dealing with, and a background check by the Justice ministry. A criminal record - particularly one involving violent incidents –would disqualify the applicant. Currently, there are about 42,000 gun owners registered with the Koninklijke Nederlandse Schutters Associatie (Royal Dutch Riflemen’s Association). All gun clubs are registered with the KNSA, which maintains close contact with the Justice ministry.

After one year of membership – during which period the new member can practice with guns owned by the club – members can apply for a gun permit and, if granted, purchase their first gun. After the second year of membership, gun owners can buy more guns, to a maximum of five. Guns and ammunition kept at home must be stored in separate strongboxes. The police regularly make house-calls to check whether the guns registered in a person’s name are actually in his possession and whether they are properly stored.

Permit revoked
Members of shooting clubs are only allowed to own guns which are suitable for use in KNSA-approved shooting matches which, for instance, rules out short-barreled revolvers and all automatic weapons which are unsuited to competitive shooting. Also, gun owners can only legally transport their guns and/or ammunition either from their home to their gun club, to a licensed gunsmith, to the police station (for inspection) or to a shooting match they hold an invitation to. All of the above via the shortest possible route.

As gun ownership is regarded as a privilege, almost any violation of the gun laws will automatically lead to the shooter’s gun permit being revoked. Involvement in a violent incident, or even driving a car under the influence of alcohol, will also result in the permit being revoked.

Who could possibly object to this system? Food for thought for American gun owners! of course survivalists and manufacturers would object to restrictions covering automatic weapons.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 08 December 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  4520
Joined  2007-08-31
Thevillageatheist - 08 December 2012 09:09 AM

On this issue pertaining to Switzerland, a citizen is required to own military firearms, as all male citizens are automatically drafted into the army (militia) and must retain their weapons at home. When the citizen is discharged He may keep the weapon but it is altered to a semiautomatic condition. Also, the government controls the ammunition supply for these guns. This is where the laws differ from ours, but one can own a weapon in Switzerland by obtaining a permit. Also, the laws for black powder gun ownership are similar to the US. These are referred to as “free weapons” as the laws pertaining to them are not as strict. This policy seems to mirror English law BTW. remarkably, the crime rate involving firearms is very low.

That is all correct, AFAIK. But: try to buy a simple hand gun in Switzerland… I don’t know how easy it is to get such a permit.
BTW, there is a pretty strong movement against having army weapons at home in CH. Just one or two more killings with the army rifle, and it is over… It is just mythological remnant of having a ‘people’s army’. Compare this with Israel, where a war is more or less realistic. Switzerland is surrounded by enemies European countries. So no reason to have the ability to defend the country in less than one hour.

However, I like the Dutch rules more…

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 08 December 2012 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

That is all correct, AFAIK. But: try to buy a simple hand gun in Switzerland… I don’t know how easy it is to get such a permit.
BTW, there is a pretty strong movement against having army weapons at home in CH. Just one or two more killings with the army rifle, and it is over… It is just mythological remnant of having a ‘people’s army’. Compare this with Israel, where a war is more or less realistic. Switzerland is surrounded by enemies European countries. So no reason to have the ability to defend the country in less than one hour.

However, I like the Dutch rules more…

From what I’ve read it’s extremely difficult to own a hand gun and the permit is granted by the gov’t and not by a Canton not to say that they have the same authority as a state in the US. I don’t know about your analogy about being surrounded by non belligerent countries though. We aren’t either and really never have been since 1815. Neither Canada nor Mexico posed much of a threat. I still believe it has to do with the popular myth of Ameica always being a “gun culture” when stats show otherwise. That plus you guys don’t have an extremely powerful gun lobby like the NRA. I do like the Dutch rules also as it would give us shooters a place to practice our hobby while monitoring the nuts.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 December 2012 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21
TimB - 03 December 2012 09:27 PM

I am struck by two things. 1) The extraordinary degree to which our (U.S) young people die by violence such as homicide or accidental shootings., and 2) New Zealand’s extraordinary rate of suicides in that age group (What’s up with that?)

Not enough women. And so men lose their loved ones at slaughter time…baahh

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 10 December 2012 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  2680
Joined  2011-04-24
GdB - 08 December 2012 08:42 AM

I doubt that too. But I (Dutch living in Switzerland) are astonished that in the USA firearms are so easily available. Except people who live under a continuous threat (not an imagined threat), nobody should be allowed firearms.

Why should nobody be allowed firearms?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 10 December 2012 04:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2007-08-31
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 04:16 AM

Because nobody should kill. Firearms are for killing only.
Why do you think that so many more (young) people are killed in the USA with firearms than in other western countries?
And don’t come with this macho ‘everybody has the right to defend himself’.

Signature 

GdB

Posted: 10 December 2012 04:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
GdB - 10 December 2012 04:22 AM
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 04:16 AM

Because nobody should kill. Firearms are for killing only.
Why do you think that so many more (young) people are killed in the USA with firearms than in other western countries?
And don’t come with this macho ‘everybody has the right to defend himself’.

Why should nobody kill? I disagree, there are many people who need to be killed,IMO.

The Americans who are mostly killed by firearms are asking for it with their behavior; our society is not missing anything by them dying, I can assure you of that.

On that note, other western countries should start killing more, if they want to continue to exist.

Signature 

Posted: 10 December 2012 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2007-08-31

Yes, and we should throw atomic bombs at Iran, Irak, Cuba etc.

Signature 

GdB

Posted: 10 December 2012 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 04:37 AM

The Americans who are mostly killed by firearms are asking for it with their behavior; our society is not missing anything by them dying, I can assure you of that.

That is utter bullshit, and quite offensive to anyone who has lost a friend or family member to domestic violence with a firearm. I used to like you MA, but now I see you are an unthinking jerk. Do you remember what Dick Cheney said?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 10 December 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Wait a minute, Darron.  I think M-A has a point.  He’s certainly demonstrated that he may be one of the many people who need to be killed.”  LOL  snake

Geez, don’t you hate it when you get up in the morning and put your shoes on the other feet?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 10 December 2012 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I know this may sounds anachronistic but it’s part of my personal philosophy: No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main…Any man’s death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind…therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee. There are fellow humans out there who need to be shut away from mankind, some forever but an eye for an eye isn’t the solution. There was enough killing in the last century to last us forever. Atheists can be just as compassionate as theists if not more so as we don’t use a deity to excuse our actions. Just a thought, not a judgmental sermon.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 December 2012 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
GdB - 10 December 2012 04:57 AM

Owning Firearms and using Nuclear weapons are two very different things.

Signature 

Posted: 10 December 2012 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 08:39 PM
GdB - 10 December 2012 04:57 AM

Owning Firearms and using Nuclear weapons are two very different things.

Yeah, and suggesting that people killed by firearms were asking for it is disgusting. One of my cousins died from domestic violence a few decades ago, as did one of my friend’s daughter a few years ago. Your comment I quoted above is unconscionable. Quit trying to justify your doltishness. You have stepped far across any line of respectability in this conversation. Just shut up and quit digging yourself deeper into a hole.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 10 December 2012 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
DarronS - 10 December 2012 05:40 AM
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 04:37 AM

That is utter bullshit, and quite offensive to anyone who has lost a friend or family member to domestic violence with a firearm. I used to like you MA, but now I see you are an unthinking jerk. Do you remember what Dick Cheney said?

Have you lost a friend or family member to firearm violence?

You’re overreacting, I claimed that most people who are killed by misuse of firearms are asking for it - not everyone.

Signature 

3 of 12