It’s dangerous to be young in the US
Posted: 10 December 2012 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4621
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 08:54 PM
DarronS - 10 December 2012 05:40 AM
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 04:37 AM

The Americans who are mostly killed by firearms are asking for it with their behavior; our society is not missing anything by them dying, I can assure you of that.

That is utter bullshit, and quite offensive to anyone who has lost a friend or family member to domestic violence with a firearm. I used to like you MA, but now I see you are an unthinking jerk. Do you remember what Dick Cheney said?

Have you lost a friend or family member to firearm violence?

You’re overreacting, I claimed that most people who are killed by misuse of firearms are asking for it - not everyone.

I answered that question 15 minutes before you asked it. Now you’re trying to hide behind weasel words.

Would you be willing to come to Austin and say to my friend what you said above? I hope not, because I’d hate to see him arrested for giving you the ass kicking you would deserve.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 10 December 2012 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
DarronS - 10 December 2012 08:47 PM
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 08:39 PM
GdB - 10 December 2012 04:57 AM

Yes, and we should throw atomic bombs at Iran, Irak, Cuba etc.

Owning Firearms and using Nuclear weapons are two very different things.

Yeah, and suggesting that people killed by firearms were asking for it is disgusting. One of my cousins died from domestic violence a few decades ago, as did one of my friend’s daughter a few years ago. Your comment I quoted above is unconscionable. Quit trying to justify your doltishness. You have stepped far across any line of respectability in this conversation. Just shut up and quit digging yourself deeper into a hole.

Sorry to hear that, I’ve had a friend who was a victim of domestic violence too.

But you’re speaking out of rage and you’re line of respectability isn’t mine.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 10 December 2012 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 09:04 PM

But you’re speaking out of rage and you’re (sic) line of respectability isn’t mine.

Yes, my line of respectability is obviously much higher than yours. And you’re right, I was reacting out of outrage at your comment because your comment was ignorant, offensive and immoral.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 10 December 2012 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
DarronS - 10 December 2012 09:03 PM
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 08:54 PM
DarronS - 10 December 2012 05:40 AM

The Americans who are mostly killed by firearms are asking for it with their behavior; our society is not missing anything by them dying, I can assure you of that.

That is utter bullshit, and quite offensive to anyone who has lost a friend or family member to domestic violence with a firearm. I used to like you MA, but now I see you are an unthinking jerk. Do you remember what Dick Cheney said?

Have you lost a friend or family member to firearm violence?

You’re overreacting, I claimed that most people who are killed by misuse of firearms are asking for it - not everyone.

I answered that question 15 minutes before you asked it. Now you’re trying to hide behind weasel words.

Would you be willing to come to Austin and say to my friend what you said above? I hope not, because I’d hate to see him arrested for giving you the ass kicking you would deserve.

No I’m not going to come to your home town where gun ownership is popular, and insult your friend about his daughter - that would be me asking to be killed through my behavior.

Signature 

Posted: 10 December 2012 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 09:11 PM

No I’m not going to come to your home town where gun ownership is popular, and insult your friend about his daughter - that would be me asking to be killed through my behavior.

Thank you for confirming your opinion is wrong.

Signature 

Posted: 10 December 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
DarronS - 10 December 2012 09:10 PM
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 09:04 PM

But you’re speaking out of rage and you’re (sic) line of respectability isn’t mine.

Yes, my line of respectability is obviously much higher than yours. And you’re right, I was reacting out of outrage at your comment because your comment was ignorant, offensive and immoral.

FWIW, I’m sorry that I offended you, but you already know what my view is, so there it is.

Signature 

Posted: 10 December 2012 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 09:19 PM

FWIW, I’m sorry that I offended you, but you already know what my view is, so there it is.

Yes, your view is most people who die by firearms deserve to die and Western nations should kill more people. I find your attitude disgusting and your disingenuous apology insolent.

[ Edited: 10 December 2012 09:34 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

Posted: 10 December 2012 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2012-12-01

I would suggest that you undertake some historical study of the results of this kind of social contract.  Perhaps then you will find that it is an unwise, destructive idea.

Posted: 10 December 2012 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
jj - 10 December 2012 10:49 PM

I would suggest that you undertake some historical study of the results of this kind of social contract.  Perhaps then you will find that it is an unwise, destructive idea.

Please explain.

Signature 

Posted: 10 December 2012 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
DarronS - 10 December 2012 09:26 PM
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 09:19 PM

Yes, your view is most people who die by firearms deserve to die and Western nations should kill more people. I find your attitude disgusting and your disingenuous apology insolent.

I should have known that you would see right through my phony ass apology.

I suppose we can never be internet buds.

[ Edited: 10 December 2012 11:38 PM by mid atlantic ]
 Signature 

Posted: 11 December 2012 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 10 December 2012 11:32 PM

I should have known that you would see right through my phony ass apology.

A sincere apology contains an admission of being wrong and a pledge to change behavior so, yes, your apology was phony.

I suppose we can never be internet buds.

Nope. I will not be friends with someone who advocates violence and heartlessly believes victims of violence got what they deserved; especially someone who hides behind a keyboard and and posts things he would never say face-to-face. That is cowardly behavior.

Signature 

Posted: 11 December 2012 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Folks, this is getting overly personalized. The points have been made so let’s try to step back a bit and move on to other topics.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 December 2012 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  5939
Joined  2006-12-20

They are sentient beings capable of suffering as are their friends and families.

If there is a problem with their behaviour we need to tackle the cause in general and what can be done about it in particular, with as little harm as possible.

That is unless you don’t agree with making violence a last resort and trying to do as little harm as possible.

If you don’t agree with that one wonders why?

Stephen

Posted: 11 December 2012 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
StephenLawrence - 11 December 2012 02:43 PM

If there is a problem with their behaviour we need to tackle the cause in general and what can be done about it in particular, with as little harm as possible.

Yeah this is a common critique, I somewhat agree with it - but any first responder will tell you that some individuals are just hopelessly screwed.

As cruel as you may think it is, society will not, cannot, and should not spend much effort in salvaging the unsalvagable.

I must add that the above should not is my opinion, but the cannot and will not are objective facts.

Signature 

Posted: 11 December 2012 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
StephenLawrence - 11 December 2012 02:43 PM

That is unless you don’t agree with making violence a last resort and trying to do as little harm as possible.

If you don’t agree with that one wonders why?

Stephen

Well, there is more nuance in this subject.

Sometimes harm is a good idea - it gets the job done; sometimes it’s not a good idea.

Signature 

4 of 12