5 of 12
It’s dangerous to be young in the US
Posted: 11 December 2012 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4578
Joined  2007-08-31
mid atlantic - 11 December 2012 07:42 PM

Yeah this is a common critique, I somewhat agree with it - but any first responder will tell you that some individuals are just hopelessly screwed.

As cruel as you may think it is, society will not, cannot, and should not spend much effort in salvaging the unsalvagable.

So, assume you are right.

Then the best solution against the ‘hopelessly screwed’ is: give all people (including the ‘hopelessly screwed’) fire arms.

And, of course, all the people (including the ‘hopelessly screwed’) are best equipped to know who are the ‘hopelessly screwed’.

All in all this contributes to a humane and safer society. blank stare Ehhh… how did this thread start?

(And then I have not even tried to find out yet how many people are more or less righteously killed by firearms (criminals?), compared to people killed because the criminals have less scruples in using weapons and are better trained to use them, and victims of domestic violence).

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 11 December 2012 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  6199
Joined  2006-12-20
mid atlantic - 11 December 2012 07:48 PM

Sometimes harm is a good idea - it gets the job done; sometimes it’s not a good idea.

It’s not just a case of ‘getting the job done’, it’s getting the job done in the least harmful way, or even better no harm at all.

Disregard for this is part of the problem.

Stephen

Posted: 12 December 2012 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24

[quote author=“GdB” date=“1355310623]
So, assume you are right.

Then the best solution against the ‘hopelessly screwed’ is: give all people (including the ‘hopelessly screwed’) fire arms.

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic but, I am accurate in stating that some people are doomed to their own extremely dysfunctional lives.

These individuals already have easy access to firearms - in case you didn’t know, it is not hard to find black market firearms in the US, these are cheap and untraceable. And they actually do not kill each other all the time, there is a basically never ending cycle of chaos that ensues, however.

To get to the heart of your comment, these people do not have to be exterminated, but they do have to be controlled. There’s no beautiful way to do this.

[ Edited: 12 December 2012 04:35 AM by mid atlantic ]
 Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 12 December 2012 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
GdB - 11 December 2012 11:10 PM

And, of course, all the people (including the ‘hopelessly screwed’) are best equipped to know who are the ‘hopelessly screwed’.

All in all this contributes to a humane and safer society. blank stare Ehhh… how did this thread start?

Any aware person can identify the hopelessly screwed, so that’s irrelevant.

And, no way does it contribute to a more humane society - I never claimed it did excaim

A little bit safer for me and my loved ones,yes.  That’s the point. cool smirk

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2012 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
StephenLawrence - 11 December 2012 11:21 PM

Sometimes harm is a good idea - it gets the job done; sometimes it’s not a good idea.

It’s not just a case of ‘getting the job done’, it’s getting the job done in the least harmful way, or even better no harm at all.

Stephen

Well, you are an heroic idealist.

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2012 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Joined  2006-12-20
mid atlantic - 12 December 2012 04:36 AM
StephenLawrence - 11 December 2012 11:21 PM

Stephen

Well, you are an heroic idealist.

Nothing heroic or idealist about it, it’s just a case of recognising the horrific consequences of not playing by these rules.

Stephen

Posted: 12 December 2012 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Total Posts:  4863
Joined  2007-10-05
dougsmith - 11 December 2012 06:52 AM

Folks, this is getting overly personalized. The points have been made so let’s try to step back a bit and move on to other topics.

OK. I’ll drop out of this discussion and let other people deal with Mike’s passive-agressive responses and odious opinions.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 12 December 2012 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
DarronS - 12 December 2012 05:47 AM

OK. I’ll drop out of this discussion and let other people deal with Mike’s passive-agressive responses and odious opinions.

Opinions and responses are fine. We should strive to investigate claims and arguments instead of people, however.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 14 December 2012 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Close to twenty people dead in the Connecticut shooting, ten of them being children?  Oh, God… gulp

Posted: 14 December 2012 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Total Posts:  3259
Joined  2011-08-15

Close to twenty people dead in the Connecticut shooting, ten of them being children?  Oh, God

Sandy alerted me after reading her post. these were little children my grandaughter’s age. It’s shocking and tragic. What could have motivated an adult to wantonly kill 18 kids let alone teachers and staff? The lock down system helped save many of them. Reports are still coming in.

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 December 2012 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Joined  2006-12-20
George - 14 December 2012 11:03 AM

Close to twenty people dead in the Connecticut shooting, ten of them being children?  Oh, God… gulp

I heard about 2 hours ago, my reaction was to ask “where was it” expecting the answer to be “America”, as it was.

Stephen

Posted: 14 December 2012 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Total Posts:  4578
Joined  2007-08-31

Here only astonishment and silence are appropriate.

This is horrible.

Everybody can draw his own conclusions.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 14 December 2012 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Total Posts:  3259
Joined  2011-08-15

In the wake of this unbelievable tragedy both sides are going to have to come together on the gun ownership issue and shut the door on the gun lobby. Not to sidestep the shooting, but more states are allowing carrying permits and some are allowing them in bars. Alcohol and guns! It looks like Pres. Obama may ay least press the ban on assault weapons, but it won’t be enough to stop this type of random slaughter. meanwhile our school children a being killed. How do we answer that horror?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57559325/will-connecticut-school-shooting-spur-gun-control-action/

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 December 2012 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

Hmmm, I’m watching coverage now (4:44PM central time 12/14/2012) and they are interviewing parents who thankfully found their children. I have a feeling though that down the road, instead of thinking of this being an evil act of 26+ deaths, it will be thought of as miracles of [(Population of school) - 26]. Just as I thought, a mother just stated it as a ‘miracle’ for her child!

I hope things will change for the better with the gun laws in our countries.

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 15 December 2012 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 14 December 2012 04:44 PM

In the wake of this unbelievable tragedy both sides are going to have to come together on the gun ownership issue and shut the door on the gun lobby. Not to sidestep the shooting, but more states are allowing carrying permits and some are allowing them in bars. Alcohol and guns! It looks like Pres. Obama may ay least press the ban on assault weapons, but it won’t be enough to stop this type of random slaughter. meanwhile our school children a being killed. How do we answer that horror?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57559325/will-connecticut-school-shooting-spur-gun-control-action/

Cap’t Jack

At this point no alcohol or drugs are thought to be involved.

Assault rifles should be banned, and the ability to buy guns at gun shows, and to buy online gun paraphernalia, virtually unchecked, should be banned.  Gun ownership itself should not be banned, IMO.  Even in this event, I will not support that.

Signature 

5 of 12