Anthropogenic Global Warming Mistake Disclosed by Dan Pangburn - an unauthorized examination
Posted: 04 December 2012 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4350
Joined  2010-08-15
Coldheart Tucker - 02 December 2012 08:22 PM
citizenschallenge.pm - 02 December 2012 08:14 PM

It doesn’t bug me that denialists, contrarians, “skeptics” disappear when their bold bs is called to task.

I just wish some of them might have learned something in the process.

My fear is that they run at the first sign of their own doubt.

I would imagine that they just think, “Well, this person is a ‘true believer’ and I’ll never convince them, so I’m just going to let it drop.”

And I can’t quite figure out why I won’t let it drop, no matter how much life get’s in the way, I continue wanting and trying to write something decent about it.

Here’s another mix of self promotion and an offer of quality valid information regarding the struggle to support science against the politically motivated crazy-makers.

Monday, December 3, 2012
AGW Mistake Disclosed by Dan Pangburn - an unauthorized guest post

http://citizenschallenge.blogspot.com/2012/12/agw-mistake-disclosed-by-dan-pangburn.html

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 04 December 2012 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4848
Joined  2007-10-05

Does Pangburn work for an energy company funded think tank? He sure hits all the denier talking points. Good job refuting those. I pointed out the absurdity some on the religious right spout regarding global warming here, but those people are easy targets. Pangburn and his ilk are the real problem with getting things done, and we need to do everything we can to counter such misinformation.

Edit: Caffeine kicked in. Edited for clarity.

[ Edited: 04 December 2012 07:06 AM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 04 December 2012 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3206
Joined  2011-08-15

Speaking if ilk, have you ever heard of this guy? He claims to have worked for NASA and advances the hypothesis that it’s the planet’s fault. He appears to be a class A denier.

http://www.drroyspencer.com/global-warming-natural-or-manmade/

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 04 December 2012 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Yeah, I’ve heard of Dr. Spencer. He’s a contrarian of the worst sort - credentialed enough that people believe what he says but so wrong it hurts my brain just reading his stuff, but the deniers love them some argument by authority* fallacies so they jump on everything Spencer says. Read about him at desmogblog.

*But only when the outlier authority backs their ideologies. They ignore or dismiss the other 97.2 percent of climate scientists.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 04 December 2012 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2012-12-01

The level of error in Pangburn’s comments is really amazing, including his inane conclusion that - if there is no awg, then there is no anthropomorphic climate change- .

Um, really?

Aside from the fact that it could be cooling (but it’s not), there’s the question of weather patterns, precipitation patterns, etc.

Posted: 04 December 2012 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3206
Joined  2011-08-15

Yeah, I’ve heard of Dr. Spencer. He’s a contrarian of the worst sort - credentialed enough that people believe what he says but so wrong it hurts my brain just reading his stuff, but the deniers love them some argument by authority* fallacies so they jump on everything Spencer says. Read about him at desmogblog.

Oh god, not another smirky Southern fat ole white boy!  I bet Glenn Beck trots him out everytime someone brings up fracking or AGW. There ARE reputable Southern scientists out there who don’t buy Spencer’s baloney. How can someone so educated deny the irrefutable facts? This more than anything else is a complete mystery to me. Is it money? Why blow your reputation and standing in the scientific community on cash? Is it religion? I’m flabergasted by those educated deniers who know the facts yet continue to fly in the face of reality. Cognative dissonance? Intelligence and insight should dispell that. Even ego should be no impediment to the facts.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 04 December 2012 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I don’t understand it either, TVA, but there are biologists who deny evolution and cosmologists who don’t believe in the Big Bang. Hardly anyone takes creationist biologists seriously and no one outside of academia and a few astronomy club members hear from cosmologists who doubt the BB. Spencer and Richard Lindzen are dangerous because they have the credentials the deniers need to spread confusion. I just cannot understand why some scientists insist on ignoring facts and decades of scientific research to promote an easily disproved agenda.

Signature