1 of 4
Wil video games improve brain function?
Posted: 05 December 2012 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2884
Joined  2011-08-15

Saw this on the tele yesterday: video gaming can help improve memory and multitasking skills for the, ugh and I hate to use the word, senior. There’s yea and nay on this subject but some scientists (mentioned in the following articles) state that gaming along with eating right, whatever that means, and exercise will improve your memory. Any gamers here who might want to comment? I’ve been a video gamer since PONG.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/20/132077565/video-games-boost-brain-power-multitasking-skills

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1909852,00.html

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 December 2012 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9280
Joined  2006-08-29

I dunno, I have been now playing the Angry Birds for about a week (yes, I have only now discovered how much fun the game is) and I feel pretty dumb. No idea if my mind is actually functioning better, since I haven’t touched a book in all this time to give my brain something to work with.  grin

Posted: 05 December 2012 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2274
Joined  2007-07-05

In this video game image from Call of Duty: Black Ops, special forces agents pilot a gunship up the Mekong River. Scientists say immersion games like this one may develop certain parts of kids’ brains.

That is not an impressive scientific statement.  It is almost certainly true. 

But is it developing something that is of much use to them in later life?

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 05 December 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Psikey,

Did you read this on the first post?

Brain researcher Jay Pratt, professor of psychology at the University of Toronto, has studied the differences between men and women in their ability to mentally manipulate 3-D figures. This skill is called spatial cognition, and it’s an essential mental skill for math and engineering. Typically, Pratt says, women test significantly worse than men on tests of spatial cognition.

I would say that spatial cognition would be very useful later in life!

Cap’T Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 December 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I dunno, I have been now playing the Angry Birds for about a week (yes, I have only now discovered how much fun the game is) and I feel pretty dumb. No idea if my mind is actually functioning better, since I haven’t touched a book in all this time to give my brain something to work with.

Ok. When you’re finished knocking down buildings with our feathered friends try a little higher skilled game, say something involving zombies. grin

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 December 2012 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

I don’t really know if playing video games has boosted my brain function.  All researchers into this seem to work with are shooters and I don’t play many of them.  Though I suppose all the puzzle, strategy, and whatnot games I plan may help with something.  I don’t know, it’s hard to gauge yourself on these things.  I doubt Dynasty Warriors helps with anything and may actually be detrimental to my brain function, but screw it.  Those games are fun. grin

Honestly, I think table top gaming has done more to boost my brain function.  At least in the realms of interpersonal relations, creativity, and planning.  And especially in improvisation, organization, and patience.  Damn players and their deranged, left field ideas. Stop it already!  Do you have any idea how annoying it is to have to keep stats on the flammability and structural soundness of every structure in the game because the stupid players think burning down or blowing up the building is always a great idea?  VERY!  And sure, cut holes through the floor and walls instead of using the convenient stairwells and doors.  Why the hell not?  *sigh*

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 05 December 2012 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2274
Joined  2007-07-05
Thevillageatheist - 05 December 2012 08:31 AM

Psikey,

Did you read this on the first post?

Brain researcher Jay Pratt, professor of psychology at the University of Toronto, has studied the differences between men and women in their ability to mentally manipulate 3-D figures. This skill is called spatial cognition, and it’s an essential mental skill for math and engineering. Typically, Pratt says, women test significantly worse than men on tests of spatial cognition.

I would say that spatial cognition would be very useful later in life!

Cap’T Jack

Aren’t people saying the same kind of thing about algebra?  Yeah, a minority of people make use of it.  How many kids spend how much time on video games?

Is this mostly just PR to justify video games?

How about mandatory double-entry accounting?  How many people have to deal with money as adults?

psik

[ Edited: 05 December 2012 05:15 PM by psikeyhackr ]
 Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 05 December 2012 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Aren’t people saying the same kind of thing about algebra.  Yeah, a minority of people make use of it.  How many kids spend how much time on video games.

Is this mostly just PR to justify video games.

How about mandatory double-entry accounting?  How many people have to deal with money as adults?

I agree that some of this hype may be used to sell more games. Well, this is a multimillion dollar industry, but it’s effecting more and more people as we all plug into the technology that is exponentially available. Video game use is increasing among teens as one poll reveals that 81% of the teens polled play video games at least once a month and the average playing time is 7-14 hours. I certainly don’t see adults hanging out at World of Warcraft for that long but the kids certainly do. And as to mandatory double entry accounting? Hell yes! Many adults need to take a class. How bout a combo video game on virtual accounting? Fun and educational too. Of course it’s probably already on the market already. I had this idea of putting a vacuum cleaner on a ball but ... .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_addiction

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 December 2012 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Honestly, I think table top gaming has done more to boost my brain function.  At least in the realms of interpersonal relations, creativity, and planning.  And especially in improvisation, organization, and patience.  Damn players and their deranged, left field ideas. Stop it already!  Do you have any idea how annoying it is to have to keep stats on the flammability and structural soundness of every structure in the game because the stupid players think burning down or blowing up the building is always a great idea?  VERY!  And sure, cut holes through the floor and walls instead of using the convenient stairwells and doors.  Why the hell not?  *sigh*

Table top gaming beats video games hands down. First of all it’s three dimensional and tactile. The players get to actually interact as you mentioned, increasing their social skills (such as diplomacy) and using math, literature, history (for my games) and science. The problem is in creating the game. Some tabletop game systems use simple due cut counters and a basic board while others use miniatures to represent characters such as in the old D&D games. The games I built started with the rules set then the terrain and buildings and finally the figures. With the bigger games played at the CONS, gamers build modules and then put them together for a complete game. It saves a ton of money too. I’ve built 11 games, all military from the Roman period through WWII for the military History class I taught, the most expensive being Waterloo. They don’t burn down buildings, they blow them up! Of course buildings can be useful as observation posts and HQs. So, yeah, love the shooter games but tabletop is much more instructive.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 December 2012 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I use Legos for my games.  I still have tons of them from when I was a kid and my gf and I have collected more over the last few years.  We have a closet full now.  We cobble together the characters and buildings out of whatever’s convenient, rarely bothering to make things match or fit the setting.  It’s pretty funny when a house in your pseudo-Medieval fantasy game has a satellite dish sticking out of the roof or the ork you’re fighting is wearing scuba gear and wielding a chainsaw.

Signature 

Posted: 05 December 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I use Legos for my games.  I still have tons of them from when I was a kid and my gf and I have collected more over the last few years.  We have a closet full now.  We cobble together the characters and buildings out of whatever’s convenient, rarely bothering to make things match or fit the setting.  It’s pretty funny when a house in your pseudo-Medieval fantasy game has a satellite dish sticking out of the roof or the ork you’re fighting is wearing scuba gear and wielding a chainsaw.

A chainsaw? You’re not from Texas are you? Come on DM, a satellite dish on a castle? How gauche. It should at least have cable.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 December 2012 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

They don’t get cable service in the middle of the swamp.  Besides, this cable dish is fancy.  It’s mounted on the end of a long, multi-colored, articulated arm and is neon green.  That’s class.

Signature 

Posted: 05 December 2012 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

They don’t get cable service in the middle of the swamp.  Besides, this cable dish is fancy.  It’s mounted on the end of a long, multi-colored, articulated arm and is neon green.  That’s class.

Indeed! Someday you’re going to have to show me how you got the Lego satillite dish truck through the swamp. Corduroy road perhaps? Also how many inch movement is allowed for said truck in a turn?

Cap’t Jack

Would you believe it kicked me off for using the word “installation” before truck? Doug warned me about this.

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 December 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  5165
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree with the premise.  Adequate sleep is necessary for optimum brain functioning, especially among older people.  So, every night when I go to bed, the first thing I do is fire up my laptop, second, I bring up solitaire.  It takes only a few minutes of playing this “video game” before I get bored, turn the machine off, and am instantly asleep.  So, I guess video games do help.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 December 2012 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I agree with the premise.  Adequate sleep is necessary for optimum brain functioning, especially among older people.  So, every night when I go to bed, the first thing I do is fire up my laptop, second, I bring up solitaire.  It takes only a few minutes of playing this “video game” before I get bored, turn the machine off, and am instantly asleep.  So, I guess video games do help. 

Solitaire? No wonder you go instantly to sleep! OTOH, my wife plays for hours. That and a game called free cell.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 December 2012 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
Thevillageatheist - 05 December 2012 10:54 AM

A chainsaw? You’re not from Texas are you? Come on DM, a satellite dish on a castle? How gauche. It should at least have cable.

Cap’t Jack

Somewhere in storage, I’ve a Chainsaw Wielding Looney miniature (Bloodbowl Orc with a chainsaw).

This is it! (Although mine isn’t painted.)

BB_orc_saw1.jpg

We need to get together and game!  LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

1 of 4