2 of 4
Wil video games improve brain function?
Posted: 06 December 2012 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Are those war hammer figures? My son and his friends were into that big time! Yes, I’d really enjoy setting up another game.

This is what I do but not in the immense detail that he did although I paint all of my own miniatures.

Day1_Cornfield11.jpg

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 December 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26
Thevillageatheist - 05 December 2012 11:21 AM

Indeed! Someday you’re going to have to show me how you got the Lego satillite dish truck through the swamp. Corduroy road perhaps? Also how many inch movement is allowed for said truck in a turn?

Probably magnets.  And wizards.  Always wizards. LOL

harry canyon - 05 December 2012 10:24 PM

We need to get together and game!  LOL

LOL Never played Warhammer.  Always kind of wanted to, but I never had the money for it.

My main game:

MPost12812-18396a3d52.jpg

[ Edited: 06 December 2012 09:44 AM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 06 December 2012 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Somehow, somewhere we all gotta get together and literally stomp the crap out of each other on the game board. I think you guys would really like my Roman game. Picture this; an entire Roman legion v. 5 Britannic Celt war bands plus chariots, mounted cavalry, archers and slingers. It’s the Boudiccan Revolt 61 Ad. There are over 600 figs and the rules are on one page with simple math. Just spears, javelins, sling stones and edged weapons. What do you think? Taking out your aggression and pitting your tactical skills on the game board. The only way to fight a war.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 December 2012 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Sounds neat.  Never played anything historically accurate before.

Can I use my Marauder?

Marauder.jpg

LOL

Seriously though.  It sounds pretty cool.  I love that old technology.  And older.  (Off and on I’ve looked into buying an atlatl for a couple years now.)  My main problem is that my tactical abilities are crap.  Crap I tells ya!

EDIT
Added some stuffing.  Mmm.

[ Edited: 06 December 2012 10:31 AM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2012 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Seriously though.  It sounds pretty cool.  I love that old technology.  And older.  (Off and on I’ve looked into buying an atlatl for a couple years now.)  My main problem is that my tactical abilities are crap.  Crap I tells ya!

Oh god, I have one an Atlatl that is. I practice with it out back. It’s accurate up to a hundred yards but I can’t hit the broadside of a barn with it past 50. The mammoths would have just laughed! Mine’s the traditional from Occoquon. They make the best plus darts. I have four 7footer practice darts and they do make a custom traditional dart using original materiall and knapped flint head for 100 bucks. They’re mainly for display though. Who’d want to use a dart that expensive for practice? Ah yes, the one percenters! And tactcal abilities? In this game, watch your flanks then go straight at the enemy. It’s all about melee!

http://www.occpaleo.com/atlatldesigns.html

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 December 2012 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
Thevillageatheist - 06 December 2012 05:36 AM

Are those war hammer figures? My son and his friends were into that big time! Yes, I’d really enjoy setting up another game.

Cap’t Jack

By the same company (Games Workshop) but for their fantasy combat football game Blood Bowl.

I’ve always been somewhat interested in historical war games, but the few I ever watched were a little too slow moving for my tastes. smile The closest I’ve come to a historical game was I started painting Soviets for the game: Flames of War (WWII).

Sadly, all my painting gear has been in storage for the past 7 years.  (Yikes! That long?) Although that will give me reason to buy new paints. LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 06 December 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
Dead Monky - 06 December 2012 09:40 AM
harry canyon - 05 December 2012 10:24 PM

We need to get together and game!  LOL

LOL Never played Warhammer.  Always kind of wanted to, but I never had the money for it.

I’ve got tons of mini’s for it but have only ever played two games. Always meant to play more. <shrug> I bought most of my mini’s for Warhammer Fantasy many years ago. When they more much more reasonably priced. I couldn’t afford to get into the hobby these days. (Well, I guess the family and I could switch to eating ramen breakfast, lunch and dinner. LOL)

My main game:

MPost12812-18396a3d52.jpg

I know of the game, but don’t know anything about it. Is it post-apocolyptic fantasy?

(I think I’ve got some critter miniatures from that game. A lot of my miniature collection are figures I just want to paint and not related to a specific game.)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 07 December 2012 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

By the same company (Games Workshop) but for their fantasy combat football game Blood Bowl.

I’ve always been somewhat interested in historical war games, but the few I ever watched were a little too slow moving for my tastes.  The closest I’ve come to a historical game was I started painting Soviets for the game: Flames of War (WWII).

Sadly, all my painting gear has been in storage for the past 7 years.  (Yikes! That long?) Although that will give me reason to buy new paints.

Most of my historical miniatures come from Warweb.com. They have the best prices and varieties for historic and fantasy figs. Yes, I have the Flames of War rules and it can be a bit tedious because of the charts. They can slow the game a bit but they also have “quick play” rules for a faster game. The key is for the players to learn to use the charts. As technology develops through time the games become more complicated of course. For instance, the Roman game can be played in one session whereas the WW II battle of Kursk takes at least three if not more. I painted a hundred armored vehicles for it not to mention individual squad figs. for both sides. it’s fun but sloooooow!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 December 2012 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

Will video games improve brain function? Yes and no.

I think there are already plenty of posts for the “yes” part.

The German psychiatrist and brain researcher Manfred Spitzer warns about the too frequent use of digital media (including computer games):

“The neuroscientist and medical director of the Psychiatric University Hospital Ulm, Professor Manfred Spitzer, met with intense press coverage about his new best-seller ‘Digital dementia. How we drive us and our children mad’. In many chapters, he describes these neurological processes and shows how the structure of the dynamic information processing system called brain adapts to the changing needs, how the outsourcing of thoughts on some kind of machinery damages the brain and how this dynamic organ expires when training or input are missing. The Annual Report of the German Federal Government Commissioner on Drugs of 22 May 2012 says that in Germany about a quarter million of the 14- to-24-year-old is depending on the Internet, and 1.4 million are considered problematic Internet users. There is a threefold increase in gambling addiction in just five years. Mainly unemployed young men were affected. The digitalization of our world does not only have various harmful effects on the mind, but also on the body, Spitzer says. He presents a series of studies showing that insomnia, depression and addiction are extremely dangerous consequences of the use of digital media whose impact on the overall health development of today’s young generation can hardly be overestimated.”

http://www.currentconcerns.ch/index.php?id=2095

So we can conclude: a moderate use of computer games is okay and it improves certain brain functions.

Posted: 07 December 2012 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

So we can conclude: a moderate use of computer games is okay and it improves certain brain functions.

I think that we could conclude that without using Dr. Spitzer’s research. Moderate use of anything is recommended for all human endeavors. It appears that he is focusing on the overuse of technology as a form of addiction and on that point I agree. However he enters Luddite philosophy by attempting to prove that dependence on technology somehow dumbs down the users, children and adults. On this point I take issue with him. In fact studies show that the proper use, and I emphasize the word “proper” increases learning comprehension and turns the student from a passive to an active learner and when integrated into the traditional curriculum actually increases the speed in which a person learns. I also know this from personal experience having gone from teaching with chalk and blackboard to computer smartboard. In addition, using these devices for presentations such as power points not only enhances learning but retention as well. Face it, we’re all using technology for communication via cell phones, face book, this forum and hundreds of others, video games for entertainment and future classroom use (properly done), and I personally don’t see this as turning us into mindless idiots.

This is lengthy but peer reviewed:
http://telearn.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/19/04/53/PDF/kirriemuir-j-2004-r8.pdf

Another article:

http://www2.ed.gov/pubs/EdReformStudies/EdTech/effectsstudents.html

And this from Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computers_in_the_classroom

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 December 2012 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  9282
Joined  2006-08-29

I think we can conclude three things here:

1.) A lot of people say a lot of stuff;
2.) Correlation doesn’t mean causation; and
3.) Studies focusing on short-term effects tell us nothing about long-term effects.

Posted: 07 December 2012 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
harry canyon - 06 December 2012 05:19 PM

I’ve got tons of mini’s for it but have only ever played two games. Always meant to play more. <shrug> I bought most of my mini’s for Warhammer Fantasy many years ago. When they more much more reasonably priced. I couldn’t afford to get into the hobby these days. (Well, I guess the family and I could switch to eating ramen breakfast, lunch and dinner. LOL)

I suppose I could always play it the way I always played BattleTech (and everything else) and just use Legos, dice, coins, and assorted other junk to represent everything.  Takes a bit of imagination (and sometimes a spreadsheet to keep track of what represents what LOL), but it works.

I know of the game, but don’t know anything about it. Is it post-apocolyptic fantasy?

More or less.

Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2012 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
Thevillageatheist - 06 December 2012 10:48 AM

Oh god, I have one an Atlatl that is. I practice with it out back. It’s accurate up to a hundred yards but I can’t hit the broadside of a barn with it past 50. The mammoths would have just laughed! Mine’s the traditional from Occoquon. They make the best plus darts. I have four 7footer practice darts and they do make a custom traditional dart using original materiall and knapped flint head for 100 bucks. They’re mainly for display though. Who’d want to use a dart that expensive for practice? Ah yes, the one percenters! And tactcal abilities? In this game, watch your flanks then go straight at the enemy. It’s all about melee!

Good Lord.  I’ll stick with the cheaper ones.  (Thanks for the link by the way.)  I can’t hit the broadside of a barn with anything, ancient or modern.  I just like shooting, slinging, and throwing things.  cheese

And I could probably handle that level of tactics.  You’d think that with all the strategy games I play I’d be better at them, but no.  I’m terrible.  The exent of my strategic mastery seems to be “Choke them with our dead!” LOL

Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2012 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I think we can conclude three things here:

1.) A lot of people say a lot of stuff;
2.) Correlation doesn’t mean causation; and
3.) Studies focusing on short-term effects tell us nothing about long-term effects.

1. Everybody says a lot of stuff about a lot of things, ok.
2. Yep, I’ll agree with that
3. That’s probably because we haven’t been using the technology long enough to have long term studies. We can only speculate what might happen in the near future. (see The Futurist mag.) .

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 December 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

And I could probably handle that level of tactics.  You’d think that with all the strategy games I play I’d be better at them, but no.  I’m terrible.  The exent of my strategic mastery seems to be “Choke them with our dead!”

Well, that’s one way of doing it! That’s kind of how the Russians did it to win the Eastern front in WW II.  grin
Practice DM! Just get out there and practice. You don’t have any eye problems do you, or a job that robs your free time cause you have to keep up with the Jonses? They have a BMW, I have to have a Caddie. Etc.etc. Then suddenly you’re the richest corpse in the cemetery. Crap, his casket looks better than mine.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

2 of 4