Conspiracy Theories
Posted: 19 March 2013 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
CuthbertJ - 07 December 2012 11:11 AM
Lois - 07 December 2012 09:12 AM
dansmith62 - 07 December 2012 06:01 AM

I can’t remember that the Catholic Church’s sex abuse scandal was labeled as a conspiracy theory. And because of the thousands of witnesses i.e. the victims in dozens of countries it doesn’t make sense at all. So it’s not a good example.

That’s different from the claims that the Bush administration orchestrated the 911 attacks.

Some people are interested in conspiracy theories, because they find a lot of aspects of their lives rather boring.

It was certainly a conspiracy of silence before the evidence came out.  There are actual conspiracies, which are different than conspiracy theories.  A conspiracy theory is usually a fairy tale, actual conspiracies are not.

That doesn’t quite make sense. Before the evidence came out it would definitely have been just a theory.  Once the evidence came in that by definition makes it “actual”.

As far as remembering how things were labeled, I was making up an example based in reality. I wasn’t quoting newspaper headlines are anything like that. 

As for 911, one of the things that makes me think it was an inside job was the lengths Bush and Cheney personally went to to prevent the 911 Commission from being created.  Then once created how they worked to stack the deck, avoid testifying themselves, etc.  Tell tale signs (though not proof) of guilt.

Maybe, but not a shred of evidence for that idea has ever been presented.  You might as well be suggesting that aliens did it.  All anyone has so far are a lot of ifs, ands, buts, maybes, what ifs and gap theories.

Posted: 19 March 2013 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2013-03-18

The catholic church was (is) the Roman Nobility’s scheme to control their vast hoard of slaves.  It operates as an on-going conspiracy where ‘sin’ is a synonym for ‘freedom’ and the serf (servant slave) has to give up all of his ‘sins’ else he will burn in hell right after he dies.  All the other vast number of christian sects, covens, groups, cults, denominations are resuts of political power struggles within the catholic church following the demise of the dark ages.

Posted: 21 March 2013 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  814
Joined  2012-04-25
Lois - 19 March 2013 10:54 AM
CuthbertJ - 07 December 2012 11:11 AM
Lois - 07 December 2012 09:12 AM
dansmith62 - 07 December 2012 06:01 AM

I can’t remember that the Catholic Church’s sex abuse scandal was labeled as a conspiracy theory. And because of the thousands of witnesses i.e. the victims in dozens of countries it doesn’t make sense at all. So it’s not a good example.

That’s different from the claims that the Bush administration orchestrated the 911 attacks.

Some people are interested in conspiracy theories, because they find a lot of aspects of their lives rather boring.

It was certainly a conspiracy of silence before the evidence came out.  There are actual conspiracies, which are different than conspiracy theories.  A conspiracy theory is usually a fairy tale, actual conspiracies are not.

That doesn’t quite make sense. Before the evidence came out it would definitely have been just a theory.  Once the evidence came in that by definition makes it “actual”.

As far as remembering how things were labeled, I was making up an example based in reality. I wasn’t quoting newspaper headlines are anything like that. 

As for 911, one of the things that makes me think it was an inside job was the lengths Bush and Cheney personally went to to prevent the 911 Commission from being created.  Then once created how they worked to stack the deck, avoid testifying themselves, etc.  Tell tale signs (though not proof) of guilt.

Maybe, but not a shred of evidence for that idea has ever been presented.  You might as well be suggesting that aliens did it.  All anyone has so far are a lot of ifs, ands, buts, maybes, what ifs and gap theories.

The fact that they stonewalled IS the evidence. In the same way a guilty party often goes to great lengths to cover up physical evidence. The act of stonewalling in and of itself is evidence, though not proof, of wrong doing. Basic stuff of police investigations.

Posted: 23 March 2013 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

Have you folks seen this video

A journey into the weird and wacky world of climate change denial
Conversation EDU

Uploaded on Jun 20, 2011
Professor Stephan Lewandowsky steps into the twilight zone of climate change scepticism: where the sun is made of iron and the royals are out to get you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8wVfxoPqPA

Lewandowsky makes some excellent observations regarding conspiracy thinking.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 19 May 2013 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-05-19

I know this thread is several months old, but the above comment re:  conspiracy theories/ climate change is what caught my eye.  Lewandowski et al have a couple of papers about this at http://www.frontiersin.org, which is a great open access site of peer reviewed articles.  However, their first paper is not available due, I suspect, to accusations from climate change deniers.  There is a decent article about THAT in the May/June Skeptical Inquirer.
The article in SI sums up the gist of the Lewandowski et. al. paper, and identifies certain characteristics of conspiracy theorists’ tactics.
I’d like to get someone’s thoughts on all this.
Thanks.

2 of 2